Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tongue piercing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Kidd-o

blake.f wrote: »
    well my parents have enough money to get a proper tounge piercing done and i no what a ful stop is derbrain

Polite, i like it!!! :)

i dont think money was ever the issue, piercings arent expencive, i think it was more your age love...

think about it, and IMHO anywhere that will pierce your tongue at 14 are a bit scooby dubious...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

i feel so old saying this... when i was 17 i wanted my nipples pierced, went into body shock they told me i'd to be 18 because basically its interfering with a minor (same with you blake.f and you wanting your tongue piercing). I didnt like it but took the mature route and waited another few months, then on my 18th birthday got em done.
    Get it done on the day of your 17th birthday or something, dont go to some crap place thatl screw your tongue up, wait for a while. can do ya no harm, then get pierced until your parents run out of dosh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

I wanted my tongue done since I was ten, got it done a few months before my 19th, in the first week I'd moved out for college, seriously dude, wait, no where decent or reputable will even entertain the thought of piercing you with or without consent at that age

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Fly High

I got my tongue pierced when I was 15, so I guess I know where this kid is coming from though I would have considered myself much more mature at the age.
    My parents also paid for it and signed the consent as my Christmas present, I think they knew it was something I was serious about I had 9 ear piercings at that stage was was getting bored, I don't feel it was irresponsible of them at all, they just knew their daughter.
    I don't think you should get it done, if not for your age then you're maturity. Piercing your tongue is a big decision for someone so young and if you don't have full conviction it's probably best to give it a few years... Hope this convinces you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 RoisinKing

Hey peoples,
    I'm just wondering about my tongue..i really want to get it pierced but im a scared it will hurt:(, will it:confused:? Is there any bad side effects. Im 16 So i think i'll be old enough like. I hope someone will repy and let me no..
    Thanks
    Roisin.x :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

Roisin, I dont mean to sound sarky, but youre getting a needle, through your tongue. How do you think its going to feel? Have you ever bit your tongue? Burned your tongue?
    Yes, it will hurt.

2 - You are 16. There is no reputable piercer that would pierce your tongue before your 18, unless you have your parents permission. I got mine done at 16, and the piercer didnt really think it was a good idea, despite me having my mother sign the form.

3 - My tongue never reduced with the swelling, although it doesnt bother me now. I never needed the smaller bars that youre supposed to get.
    I also find that if i eat spicey food (even 5 years later) that my tongue hurts and swells even more.

Thats about the extent of the "bad experiences" ive had.
    Except the day I got it done, I passed out in tesco that evening with the pain, and I couldnt talk properly for nearly 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

i have my tongue pierced about 7years now, since it healed i've had no problems with it....
    i say since it healed because that took about 6 weeks!
    i couldn't eat solid food for over a week and then, while coughing i caught the bottom in front of my teeth and ripped it! this took a further four weeks to heal!

it's all good now, my dentist told me i had receding gums from it and to shorten the bar, i have a really short bar in it now and it's all good!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 oblivian

i brought around mouthwash around in a bootle for 3 weeks and used it after every meal, effort-ish but i was always minty freash and had zero problems with my new hole

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

If you're gonna use mouthwash (and it's recommended that you do!) then make sure that the mouthwash is alcohol free, as those with alcohol in them can cause problems, particularly as it thins the blood and makes the healing process much more drawn out and problematic.

yah but i really want it done...2 of my friends got it done and they said it didnt hurt atall and they dont even notice it in ther mouth,,,obvisoly ino its gunna hurt,,,buh its juust the consiquinces im scared of,,,and about the age my friends that got it done ar only just 15 so like hellllloo,,,you have to be 16 in ireland to get it done,,,

• Advertisement

Yeah but do you really want to get it done in somewhere that does poor practice like that? Are you gonna risk letting someone stick a needle through somewhere with a high blood flow like your tongue by someone that doesn't give a toss about general health and safety and just wants your money?

Hii Again,,,
    but these people are fully liscened..i really want to get my tounge done peoples...but im actuallyy really afraid..i hearrumours that people can die from it:eek:...

There are no licenses for body piercing. it's an un-regulated industry.

yes there is coz one of my exs mums own one and shes fully licensed so now for yah,,,i'm on this for help not piked at lol

I'm not having a go at all, I just stated a fact. There are self imposed standards but they do not have to be adhered to. The professional places work based on ethics and safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

RoisinKing wrote: »
    yes there is coz one of my exs mums own one and shes fully licensed so now for yah,,,i'm on this for help not piked at lol

Mind if I ask where your friends got theirs done? And where abouts are you?

If you live in Ireland like the rest of us, then it's unregulated. If you live in the UK then it's regulated, and anyone that pierces your tongue at 15/16 is breaking the law and can be put on the sex offenders register for doing so. So if someone is willing to do that, then consider how little they actually care about the people they are piercing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

No there is not. There is licencing in virtually every country but here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 shopaholic_09

hey i'm really considering getting my tongue peirced but i'm just wondering can the tongue be numbed first..? or do you feel everything..? i'm 16 and female.. i dont know anyone who has it done so i'm just looking for info on it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

hey i'm really considering getting my tongue peirced but i'm just wondering can the tongue be numbed first..? or do you feel everything..? i'm 16 and female.. i dont know anyone who has it done so i'm just looking for info on it :D

make sure you ask for it to be numbed. i assumed they did this anyway. the guy asked me to stick out my tongue. caught it with the pliers yolk. shoved the needle through it. tears rolling down my face. couldn't eat solids for about a week. eating was sore for about three weeks after that.
    If you live in the UK then it's regulated, and anyone that pierces your tongue at 15/16 is breaking the law and can be put on the sex offenders register for doing so.

are you sure about that? i'm struggling to understand that one :confused:

• Advertisement

no where will numb your tongue, it's dangerous. If the piercing is done correctly all you feel is a bit of pressure.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

make sure you ask for it to be numbed.
    I would absolutely disagree with this. No piercing should be done while numbed. Firstly, piercers are not authorised to carry/supply numbing agents. Secondly, when the numbing sensation is gone, it is known for the piercing to hurt more. And, thirdly, it can increase healing time.

The "pliers yolk" is called a clamp, and should definitely be used while a tongue is being pierced. If you weren't aware of the healing time that you suffered before you got pierced, then you didn't do enough research into getting the piercing. Sounds like the place you went to didn't treat you correctly.

jenizzle wrote: »
    I would absolutely disagree with this. No piercing should be done while numbed. Firstly, piercers are not authorised to carry/supply numbing agents. Secondly, when the numbing sensation is gone, it is known for the piercing to hurt more. And, thirdly, it can increase healing time.

The "pliers yolk" is called a clamp, and should definitely be used while a tongue is being pierced. If you weren't aware of the healing time that you suffered before you got pierced, then you didn't do enough research into getting the piercing. Sounds like the place you went to didn't treat you correctly.

oh please excuse my grammer. what i meant to say was (if you want it to be numberd), make sure you ask for it to be numbed.
    pliers / clamp? who gives a sh!t. :D
    i liked the idea of my tongue pierced. it never occured to me that i should carry out some type of investigative research study.
    got to go now. have an eleclution lesson at 4

Star.chaser there is no need to adopt an attitude like that, the information you were passing on was bad advice, so that was simply pointed out where your information was not right.

oh please excuse my grammer. what i meant to say was (if you want it to be numberd), make sure you ask for it to be numbed.
    pliers / clamp? who gives a sh!t. :D
    i liked the idea of my tongue pierced. it never occured to me that i should carry out some type of investigative research study.
    got to go now. have an eleclution lesson at 4
    If you're going to be smart it's numbed not numberd,

pliers.jpg
    This is a pliers.

rampleys_plain_c.JPG
    This is a piercing clamp.

You didn't think it would be smart to research putting something through your tongue? There's a reason it wasn't successfully performed and healed till the 90's.

Also the "numbing" that occurs would only work if it was injected into your tongue otherwise it would only numb the top layer of it.

Star.chaser there is no need to adopt an attitude like that, the information you were passing on was bad advice, so that was simply pointed out where your information was not right.

thats open to debate ;) but i take your point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 madheadedbitch

Hey I'm 18 since July. I've been mad to get my tongue pierced for years now. I've been to a piercing place with my friends when they got their's done so I'm used to the routeen.

I've got two really thick blue vains down either side of my tongue but I cant see any down the middle of my tongue! Do you think this will cause any complications?

I'm a hairdresser and I work around people everyday so I need to talk to them when doing their hair. Will it affect my speach for long and how long does the swelling take to go down?

What kind of food cant you eat after getting it done? I was told u cant eat or drink dairy products for 6 months. Is that true?

Does it rott your teeth if u keep moving it around in your mouth or when you eat?

Whats the risks of getting it done?

Does it leave any big scars if I get it done and take it out in a few years time?

Theres a place in Portlaoise and their doing a special offer of getting any piercing for €20. Should I chance going there or will I go to somewhere a bit more expensive?

Sorry about all the questions but I just want to make sure about all of these before I get it done!

Hey I'm 18 since July. I've been mad to get my tongue pierced for years now. I've been to a piercing place with my friends when they got their's done so I'm used to the routeen.

I've got two really thick blue vains down either side of my tongue but I cant see any down the middle of my tongue! Do you think this will cause any complications?

I'm a hairdresser and I work around people everyday so I need to talk to them when doing their hair. Will it affect my speach for long and how long does the swelling take to go down?

What kind of food cant you eat after getting it done? I was told u cant eat or drink dairy products for 6 months. Is that true?

Does it rott your teeth if u keep moving it around in your mouth or when you eat?

Whats the risks of getting it done?

Does it leave any big scars if I get it done and take it out in a few years time?

Theres a place in Portlaoise and their doing a special offer of getting any piercing for €20. Should I chance going there or will I go to somewhere a bit more expensive?

Sorry about all the questions but I just want to make sure about all of these before I get it done!
    Everyone has 2 veins, piercers check for a third that some people have between them.

I was grand after mine, some people swell for days, everyone is different.

If you chew on metal will it damage your teeth? same with a tongue bar don't chew on it.

No it doesn't and would it matter as it wouldn't be visible anyway.

Ignore that vegas, go to v2 in carlow, John is much better as the girl there uses a gun on some piercings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 madheadedbitch

Tnks a million for the advice..

do u no hw much tongue piercings r in v2?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭girl_friday

Tnks a million for the advice..

do u no hw much tongue piercings r in v2?

I was there at the weekend getting other piercings done and I think I saw it was about €25...

Advertisement