Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tongue piercing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Common sense is key with tongue piercing, as with all others. If you chew on your tongue bar your going to damage your teeth, its a given!! I got plastic balls for mine as soon as it healed, it doesnt elimate the risk, but it minimizes it a bit. Its still tempting to chew on it though.

Ive had mine done twice. I just took the first one about after about a year and a half and was left with a little dent in my tongue. Nothing too noticeable but you could tell I had it done. I got it redone about 3 weeks and have had no problems. Much easier to heal that the first time i got it. I got so used to having it that i just felt too weird without it. Easily my favourite piercing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I was there at the weekend getting other piercings done and I think I saw it was about €25...
    hmmm wonder if I saw you there.

At most it'll be 35e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 shopaholic_09

ok thanks for the advice. is it very sore..? :( cos getting my belly button done was the finest cos it was numbed like..?

• Subscribers Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭girl_friday

Of course it'll be sore - they're putting a hole in your tongue!! Best way I found to minimise the pain was to take some anti-inflamatories straight after, suck on some ice cubes and drink out of a chilled sports bottle so that you can aim the flow right on the piercing... I did that and apart from a small amount of swelling the next morning I was fine.

Good luck with it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 madheadedbitch

Thanks to everyone for the advice..
    I went and got my tongue pierced today. I made it out too be worse and more painful but it actually wasnt that bad at all.
    Thanks too every1 who replied to my comment and for giving me helpful advice:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 shopaholic_09

hey madheadedbitch was it worth getting it done..? like is it worth the pain..? where did you get yours done and how much was it..? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jayne.Q

I got my Tongue pierced on tuesday the 7th down in carlow! It wasn't half as sore I was expecting it to be and it didn't swell much either! I only had to eat soup and liquids for one day and after that it was fine, I'm eating solids now with no problem! I'm using the listerine mouthwash which has left my Tongue with a kind of White covering but that's normal seemingly! I brush my Tongue regularly softly to keep this whiteness at bay!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

The whiteness you see on your tongue isn't from your mouthwash. Under normal circumstances your tongue cleans itself off the roof of your mouth, one of the reasons why your palatte is rough. Since you now have a piece of metal going through your tongue it can't clean itself. Do just what you're doing and brush it gently when you clean your teeth. You might also want to give your balls a gentle brush (stop sniggering at the back) as it will help to prevent plaque building up on them. You may want to change to a milder mouthwash as "Listerine" can be a bit harsh on fresh piercings. 1 without alcohol would be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ohnelly

just wondered??

if the ball is leaving a bit of a dent in my tongue, the bar is probably too big and sitting at an angle??

ohnelly wrote: »
    if the ball is leaving a bit of a dent in my tongue, the bar is probably too big and sitting at an angle??
    How long has it been pierced? The bar in a tongue piercing should, with VERY few exceptions, be vertical. If it is too long then it will be sitting off the tongue not pressing into it. A "dent" in the tongue is usually a sign that a barbell is too short or that your tongue has swollen around it.

• Advertisement

How long has it been pierced?

I've had it done a few years and never had any problems with it! I actually never really thought about it before.

If I rest my tongue flat on my bottom lip the bar sits about a centimetre above my tongue??....so it feels like it's too long!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Did you ever get the jewellery changed for a shorter bar after getting pierced originally?

Did you ever get the jewellery changed for a shorter bar after getting pierced originally?

yea i did!

It is slightly to the left, cos of veins

and to me it looks to be at a slant, I don't know if that's just the way it was done??

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

my daughter got her tongue pierced when she was 15 and the dentist went ape **** when she was having her teeth done and said she has seen so much damage done to teeth by tongue piercings. My daughter took out the piercing after couple of years when she figured this out for herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

I had a terrible experience the first time I had my tongue done. There is a thread about it if you search for it: 'my bad tongue piercing experience'.
    I got it re done in another piercers and was delighted with the result. I was even able to eat toast that evening. The pain I experienced the second time was nowhere near as bad I expected. My speech was a bit funny for the first few days though :)
    Please make sure you do some research on where you are gonna go. I assumed it would be a simple enough piercing for a professional..... sadly this waasn't the case in the first instance!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ThunderApple

I had to remove my tongue piercing because of the teeth damage. I know, it sounds weird but my piercing was too close to the end on the tongue and it was in permanent contact with teeth. I had it for like 5 years, I guess. Everything was fine till now. I miss it so much but I'm not going to pierce my tongue again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Thinking about getting this done. My tongue is quite short and thick though, dunno how suitable it is. :o Plan on popping into Snakebite over the weekend to see what the story is anyway.
    Does anyone know a place (online or bricks + mortar) that design custom studs? Like with a particular logo or text of my choosing.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

AcEy wrote: »
    Does it wear away your teeth, I heard it does and considoring my braces costing money my perants have some sort of unpleasnt reaction to the idea. Wouldnt a plastic ball stop that though?

I had mine done a few years ago. Took it out after about 2 years because of the damage to my upper front two teeth - chips taken out of the corners. I had both metal and plastic bars in, and never played with it or purposely clicked it against my teeth. Have to get veneers on them now - wish I'd never gotten it done!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cosmic.love

Hi,
    I'm 19 and have been thinking about getting my tongue pierced for this past while, I've been doing some investigating and scouting around for where to get it done but I'm still a bit unsure about a few things as different people have been telling me different things.
    Most people agree on the food and eating issue and effected speech, but I've been hearing different things about issues such as smoking and consuming alcohol. A friend of mine said she drank the first day she got it and then another girl told me that she was told she could smoke 3 hours after she got hers pierced, that doesn't sound right does it?
    I was reading the threads and I don't know who it was but someone was saying they had to take it out because of a filling, does this mean existing fillings or just new ones?
    Thanks for anyone who can let me know :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 abbeyjcksn

You have provide nice thread about the tongue piercing. I really want to piercing on my tongue but some how I fear about it. But you people describe very well about it.

• Advertisement

I will be sure to check with the piercer, but how long should one wait before drinking alcohol? Google gives a crazy amount of conflicting results!

GrumPy wrote: »
    I will be sure to check with the piercer, but how long should one wait before drinking alcohol? Google gives a crazy amount of conflicting results!
    What you must remember with atongue piercing it that it is essentially an open wound in your mouth. Be sensible. Straight spirits will sting like hell although some alcohols will actually have a cleansing effect, but beers etc should be fine after a day or so. Cold drinks of any kind will actually help to ease the swelling. If you are going to drink bring some mouthwash and have a swill between pints, It helps to wash away the chemicals in the drink.

Cheers, will make sure the get the all the advice when I go in to Snakebite. :) Tbh, I have a feeling my stupid teeny tongue will be too short/ too veiny to get done anyway?! :o

Will report back asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Cheers, will make sure the get the all the advice when I go in to Snakebite. :) Tbh, I have a feeling my stupid teeny tongue will be too short/ too veiny to get done anyway?! :o

Will report back asap.

They'll have a good look and make sure that you're suitable before doing anything anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Yep, I always thought mine would be too short to be pierced but apparantly not :)

Go this done today in Snakebite. If anyone is thinking of getting it done keep an eye on my posts and see how I'm getting along. :)

Nice place, cool staff. All seems professional. I went with a friend who was getting their tragus done.

Procedure for my tongue was very quick, the needle part didn't hurt much, but I admit to letting out an ouch or two when the dude clamped it and kinda pulled my tongue into position :o
    (My tongue is really short!)

Next few days should be interesting when it starts to swell, I can talk near perfect at the moment though. Stocked up on rice, eggs and pasta on the way home. :D

Procedure for my tongue was very quick, the needle part didn't hurt much, but I admit to letting out an ouch or two when the dude clamped it and kinda pulled my tongue into position :o
    (My tongue is really short!)

Next few days should be interesting when it starts to swell, I can talk near perfect at the moment though. Stocked up on rice, eggs and pasta on the way home. :D

I also found the clamp the worst part, probably because my toungue is short too.

Rice and soup will be your bff's for the next week! Noodles can be ok after a day or two as well when the swelling has gone down a little. Suck on ice to keep the swelling down during the day and if you want take a nurofen plus to keep it at bay for the night, but I'd say only take the nurofen for the first day or two.

Best of luck with the healing! You'll be grand after the first week of re-adjusting to it being in your mouth :D

Dude (lovely chap, didn't get his name unfortunately!) said something about smoothies being awesome for making sure your getting vitamins and stuff into ye while it's healing to keep your immune system in order.
    How soon can I go nuts at my nearest zumo? :p

Asap :P Just make sure there's no dairy in it. Some say you can have dairy, others say you can't. I just avoided it while it was healing as that's what my piercer told me :)

• Advertisement

Tried eating pasta last night. Bit like a pelican necking fish. :o Wasn't pretty, gave up after a while. Noodles however went down handy enough.
    Edges of tongue looked "dimpled" this morning - hard to describe! little more sensitive. Swelling seems to be setting in!

Advertisement