Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what do you do with the old parts?

• 07-10-2003 2:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

as i see here, most of you guys like to have the latest technology, but my question is, the new better parts come out very fast, and what do you do to the old parts? sell? i don't want to buy them but i'm just interested, if you paid something for some detail isn't it better to build the 2nd PC? and if you continue building you'll have a lot of pcs, and do you really need them? if you start selling parts, you'll never sell them for the original price, and you lose money again, does it all really worth it? i don't think so

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I keep my parts and use them in other machines :)
    I've 4 pc's at the moment. 2 for work/play and 2 as divx boxes.
    Things like my case would have sentimental value so i'd never sell them.
    I think i've sold like 2 things ever :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

elaborate on divx boxes, u just have 2 pc's sitting in your house to play divx movies on?. what sort spec r they (just curious)

just as an aside how many pc's do people here have? ive got 2 functioning ones, and could easily put a third together from the parts i have lying around.

One is a p2 500 with 384Mb ram and a 10Gb h/d (sitting room)
    The other is an xp1900 with 256Mb ram and just a cd drive (bedroom)
    I had the parts lying around for the xp1900 one, i'll probally turn it into a mini server if i ever get a h/d for it. I use GeexBox on it so i dont need a h/d in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

i have 2 pcs, one is powerful 3.06GHz, and the other one is like a lab rat, all experiments take place there

i could easily do with one computer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

never mentioned the specs of my machines, main machine is a 2400xp with 512 ddr-ram, 160 gig. other machine is a p1 166 with 32ram and 6 gb.

have the guts of a p4 1.6ghz machine aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Originally posted by PPC
    One is a p2 500 with 384Mb ram and a 10Gb h/d (sitting room)
    The other is an xp1900 with 256Mb ram and just a cd drive (bedroom)
    I had the parts lying around for the xp1900 one, i'll probally turn it into a mini server if i ever get a h/d for it. I use GeexBox on it so i dont need a h/d in it.

this geexbox looks cool! im downloading it ATM. Do you know of any other similar distros for home-et systems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

i usualy let them build up/ give them to friends r sell them to ppl whois computers fux up . atm ive a xp 2500 , xp 2100 , and 2 laptops o built my parents system from spares i had lying around .

i know ive the parts to build 2 more systems . but im leaving that till i actually have a use for them . that geexbox dose look very intresting tho

Originally posted by SouperComputer
    this geexbox looks cool! im downloading it ATM. Do you know of any other similar distros for home-et systems?

*cough* yes

http://www.freevix.org/ is a good one if you want a HTPC
    Freevix is a distro that includes Freevo - http://freevo.sourceforge.net/

And Microsoft Windows XP Media Center if ya wanna shell out a few bucks

You can try movix aswell http://movix.sourceforge.net/ is pretty good.

But geexbox wins, and aswell as the ATi Remote you cant go wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

And Microsoft Windows XP Media Center if ya wanna shell out a few bucks

M$ kiss me ar$e ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Normally give them away or sell them for nothing because by the time I can bare to let them go :D they're worth nothing. Gave away 3 machines (2xP1 and 1xP2) a couple of years ago - they went to a good home :), but gave away 2 monitors to someone else and didn't even get a thanks (didn't want cash but a thanks would have been nice)..

Try to hold onto generic things - for instance you never know when you'll need a 1mb PCI graphics card for instance, or a 4GB hd for that matter.

Have a couple of things I want to get rid of at the mo., must go thru the stuff and make sure everything is working and put it on the for-sale board for abuse :(.

• Advertisement
Advertisement