Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

who is the best keeper in the premiership?

• 07-10-2003 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭

i have to go for Howard cos im a man utd man but after that would be Cudicini!!!

who is the best keeper in the premiership 69 votes

Howard
    0% 0 votes
    Jusskalainen
    27% 19 votes
    Van der Saar
    0% 0 votes
    Given
    2% 2 votes
    Freidel
    18% 13 votes
    Cudicini
    18% 13 votes
    Kiely
    17% 12 votes
    Taylor
    1% 1 vote
    Dudek
    0% 0 votes
    Other
    13% 9 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I think Taylor is a top drawer keeper. Hardly any shots seem to go past him.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Eppie

if you ask me no-one'll ever beat bonner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I bet the three people who voted for Howard are United fans. He is only playing for United 2 or 3 months now and already he is the best. I would have said Cudicini but after seeing how he stupidly jumped over the ball against Besiktas to let them go 2-0 up I'd now say either Friedel or Given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Over a decent period I'd have to say Dudek (even though I hate those scumbags). Howard looks like he could be the best but I/we need more time to see. Judging a player (even Taibi) as great or **** in a handful of games is a bit premature imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

First of all i think anyobne who voted howard is a joke!

He's only there a short time, and hasnt proved himself over a full season. I agree its probably just united fans with there rose tinted glasses on.

I voted Friedel, cause last season he was the most consistant.
    I have to admit there wasnt much to pick between Cudicini and Friedel .

Dudek had that bad patch, where he lost his confidance (and my respect).

X

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i voted Brad Friedel. the man is an amazing goal keeper

What I am trying to figure out is why Howard is in that list and Lehmann isn't. They have both been at there clubs for the same amount of time and they haven't had a lot of time to prove themselves. I could bet you one thing tough, There has been no votes so far for an "other" keeper but I bet if Lehmann was up there he would have one or two votes just like all the Man U supporters voted for Howard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

how does dudek have votes???

any 1 remember against man u last year????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I voted for the Italian chappie, anyone else noticed how many American keepers there are these days?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

So far this season i'd have to say Howard but i don't think he can be judged on the games hes played so far so my vote goes to Cudicini. He fecked up in mid week but he has been a great keeper and you can't say he's not the best just cos of one game. Just like you can't say Howards the best just cos he's played a few good games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 utopio

Originally posted by eireboy
    What I am trying to figure out is why Howard is in that list and Lehmann isn't. They have both been at there clubs for the same amount of time and they haven't had a lot of time to prove themselves. I could bet you one thing tough, There has been no votes so far for an "other" keeper but I bet if Lehmann was up there he would have one or two votes just like all the Man U supporters voted for Howard.
    Yeah Lehmann rulez!!!!
    But I have to admit I don't know much about keepers in other even in our league. I only know that Lehmann should belong to the best.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Friedel for me ahead of Given by a nudge for me. The premiership is a bit short on top class keepers though these days. None of them would be up to Kahn, Buffon, Rustu (or is it Recber? :)) and the likes.

Every time i see Cudicini play he seems to fck up, I don't see what the fuss is all about. And Howard with 7 votes? hahaha, gimme a fkin break :rolleyes:

Originally posted by kaids
    Friedel for me ahead of Given by a nudge for me. The premiership is a bit short on top class keepers though these days. None of them would be up to Kahn, Buffon, Rustu (or is it Recber? :)) and the likes.

Every time i see Cudicini play he seems to fck up, I don't see what the fuss is all about. And Howard with 7 votes? hahaha, gimme a fkin break :rolleyes:
    Well at least Kahn has a small crise. he has problems with his eyes and already got many goals, that's why lehmann says he wants to become number one. But aren't there really not that many other good keepers?

Originally posted by utopio
    Well at least Kahn has a small crise. he has problems with his eyes and already got many goals, that's why lehmann says he wants to become number one. But aren't there really not that many other good keepers?
    Yeah i heard about that. But take Kahn from a year ago. Nobody in the premiership comes close.

Yeah i heard about that. But take Kahn from a year ago. Nobody in the premiership comes close.
    Ok, but he is the best keeper in all. One class above, but aren't there good talents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 brucealmighty

And Howard with 7 votes? hahaha, gimme a fkin break

For me the best keeper would be the one that concedes the least number of goals . At The moment thats Howard with 3 against. QED

Originally posted by brucealmighty
    For me the best keeper would be the one that concedes the least number of goals . At The moment thats Howard with 3 against. QED
    Ah, so by that very intelligent reasoning Paul Robinson is the second worst keeper in the premiership?

Infact, that makes Friedel one of the worst keepers in the premiership too. Man he was atrocious last season wasn't he.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Cudicini`s definately the best in the premiership and i also think he is amongst the best in europe. He`s not far behind compatriot and international team-mate buffon. 2nd best would be Robinson i saw him at the dublin tournament he was amazing without him leeds wouldnt have been able to achieve a penalty shootout. They could of easily been trashed 5-2 by villa.I think He should be Englands number 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Chris Kirkland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

anyone who votes for howard is a sad sad sad person.
    (all utd supporteers of course)!!

not even 10 premership games under his belt and ye think he is the next gordan banks!!!!

there is a post in this very forum that explains what kind of sunshine supporters ye are!!

suppose ronaldo is the best midfielder in the world now right!!!
    what a load of bollocks!!

my vote goes to dudek

just tips cudicini cause of his bad start to the season

even though i hate those scousers!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

I voted Van der Sar, I'm biased but he is a great keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

anyone who votes for howard is a sad sad sad person
    ..or they honestly believe he is (and i dont think he's far off).

Stop chucking your beliefs down peoples throats plz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

i voted Kiely...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The question raise is who IS (present tense) the best Keeper in the Prem. So those trying to discount Howard musn,t understand the question. He has conceded fewest goals this season behind a defence containing Rio G Neville and Sylvester who we all know from reading this forum are crap defenders. SO he must be the best .

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Quote:
    The question raise is who IS (present tense) the best Keeper in the Prem.

Thats the way I read it too. Therefore Howard with the fewest conceded plus a couple of penalty saves has to up there.

Tinky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 JackD

quote: Jank

anyone who votes for howard is a sad sad sad person

Posted by B-K.DzR

..or they honestly believe he is (and i dont think he's far off).

Stop chucking your beliefs down peoples throats plz.

HERE HERE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭marct

Howard cant catch a bloody cross. Did ye see the Stuttgart game. Anyone who thinks he is better than Carlo, Friedel, Dudek, Jussi, Given etc would want their heads read. Lets try to have at least the pretense of impartiality for polls..:rolleyes:

Lets try to have at least the pretense of impartiality for polls.

So tell us then which keeper in the premiership has the best record this season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭marct

Originally posted by The Muppet
    So tell us then which keeper in the premiership has the best record this season?
    Thats a daft rationale by which to judge a keeper. That is the work of the defence as a whole. Take off the specs for 1 minute!Can you honestly try to tell the board that Howard is better than Cudicini...

• Advertisement

that doesn't mean he's the best keeper. Man Utd conceded the least number of goals last season aswell. Does that mean Barthez was the best keeper in the prem last season? No.

Man Utd have the best defence in the prem at the moment, not the best keeper.

The question raise is who IS (present tense) the best Keeper in the Prem. So those trying to discount Howard musn,t understand the question. He has conceded fewest goals this season behind a defence containing Rio G Neville and Sylvester who we all know from reading this forum are crap defenders. SO he must be the best .

OK. The keeper that has conceded least goals is Maik Taylor on 2 although he did get sent off against United. And BTW Tinky, Howard has not saved one penalty in the premiership and this topic is about the premiership. It is unfair to judge keepers by goals conceded alone as the players in front of him could be strong or weak. So, I've just been doing a little research on the keepers and I've found some interesting facts.

Howard: shots against him on target-17; saves-14; conceded-3.
    Avg. shot per goal conceded: 5.67 ie. for every 5.67 shots against him he has conceded 1.

Lehmann : Shots Against-35; saves-29; conceded-6.
    Avg. Shot per goal conceded: 5.83

Taylor: Shots against-26; saves-24; conceded-2.
    Avg. Shots per goal conceded:13

Jones: Shots Against-31; saves-27; conceded-4.
    Avg. Shots per goal conceded:7.75

So, two of the keepers who, by the stats, are performing better than Howard at the moment aren't even in the list of players to vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Jones from Southampton (Even though the ginger one dropped him) edges out Given.
    Howard/Lehman havn't been around long enough to form a definite opinion, Friedel has not played well this season.

Amusingly they are probably letting Jones go to Wolves now that Niemi is back.

Amusingly they are probably letting Jones go to Wolves now that Niemi is back.
    so I just heard on Sky Sports news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

Originally posted by eireboy
    OK. The keeper that has conceded least goals is Maik Taylor on 2 although he did get sent off against United. And BTW Tinky, Howard has not saved one penalty in the premiership and this topic is about the premiership. It is unfair to judge keepers by goals conceded alone as the players in front of him could be strong or weak. So, I've just been doing a little research on the keepers and I've found some interesting facts.

Howard: shots against him on target-17; saves-14; conceded-3.
    Avg. shot per goal conceded: 5.67 ie. for every 5.67 shots against him he has conceded 1.

Lehmann : Shots Against-35; saves-29; conceded-6.
    Avg. Shot per goal conceded: 5.83

Taylor: Shots against-26; saves-24; conceded-2.
    Avg. Shots per goal conceded:13

Jones: Shots Against-31; saves-27; conceded-4.
    Avg. Shots per goal conceded:7.75

So, two of the keepers who, by the stats, are performing better than Howard at the moment aren't even in the list of players to vote.

the list that i complied were 9 keepers at random and the other option is for keepers like taylor and jones plus do those stats take in time on the pitch?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by woosaysdan
    ...plus do those stats take in time on the pitch?
    Taylor was sent off during the last match and Jones didn't play the last match but why does time on the pith matter? A keeper could be on the pitch for 90 minutes without having a shot on him. Its the amount of work they do that matters. If a keeper plays one match and gets 10 shots against him and another keeper plays 3 matches and gets 10 shots against him, they both have to do the same amount of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Taking your rational to its logical and non-biased end , the best keeper must be the keeper who has made the most saves. Which is equally as stupid as your first assertion.

You cannot judge keepers fairly on the basis of goals conceded unless they play behind the same team and play the same teams. Even going by goals allowed you must take into account who they have played so far (eg, arsenal have played manu, liverpool, newcastle etc etc whereas manu have had the easier run so far).

By the goals rational Lehmann would be considered a good keeper and i really dont think thats the case (he looks dodgy as hell if you ask me).

Its Friedel for me. Hes hugely consistant and an imposing figure between the sheets.

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Its Friedel for me. Hes hugely consistant and an imposing figure between the sheets.
    How do you know? have you had him between the sheets.:D ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

im not a fan of man utd, but i must admit that howard has impressed me so far..

Cudicini is class to though, definately a toss up between the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Anyone who's voted for Howard on the basis of the 10 or so games he's played for Man U, is a cretin. He looks a good keeper alright, no doubt about that, but to already call him the best keeper in the premiership is moronic.

• Advertisement

Anyone who's voted for Howard on the basis of the 10 or so games he's played for Man U, is a cretin.

So if say Ronaldo signed for Newcastle tommorrow you wouldn.t consider him the best Striker in The prem.:rolleyes:

So if say Ronaldo signed for Newcastle tommorrow you wouldn.t consider him the best Striker in The prem.:rolleyes:
    He has proven himself at the highest level while Howard hasn't done more than win awards with the New York Metrostars. He has had trials with Feyenoord and Inter Milan but didn't make it. I think he will make the big time but you can't say he is the best keeper in the prem after making just 14 saves for the club in the premiership so far this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

No, because I consider Henry and Van Nistelrooy to both be better strikers.

He has proven himself at the highest level while Howard hasn't done more than win awards with the New York Metrostars. He has had trials with Feyenoord and Inter Milan but didn't make it. I think he will make the big time but you can't say he is the best keeper in the prem after making just 14 saves for the club in the premiership so far this season.

I agree but that is not the argument that Jackson and others are making as you can see from his reply.

I am not saying Howard is the best keeper. I have not disclosed how or if I voted. I am taking issue with those who say he should be discounted and calling the 14 that voted for him to date Cretins.

I agree but that is not the argument that Jackson and others are making as you can see from his reply.

I am not saying Howard is the best keeper. I have not disclosed how or if I voted. I am taking issue with those who say he should be discounted and calling the 14 that voted for him to date Cretins.
    It shouldn't be necessary, its bloody obvious.

Howard is unproven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

apart from the Prawn Sandwich crowd throwing stats around the place , can anyone really say they have watched howard in a game and said "wow, now theres a keeper" ?

Remember the way you were impressed by Schmeichal... and Jennings... and Kahn .... and more to the point, Friedel last season.

From my view, i havent seen Howard turn a game yet. Friedal on the other hand did it a few times last season. Given and Cudicini also had their moments.

TheMuppet, even you must concede that the people voting for howard are only doing so because they are manu fans. The opening post admits as much.

Why not disclose your vote?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

i have to go for Howard cos im a man utd man but after that would be Cudicini!!!

Ahh, the impartiality of it all....

I think Howard looks like a real comer... great command of his area I think, from what I've seen...

I voted for him too - ohh the guilt...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

Ivoted for Howard because im a Man Utd fan. If I didnt imo it would be like me cheering on another team when they are playing against Man Utd!!!

TheMuppet, even you must concede that the people voting for howard are only doing so because they are manu fans. The opening post admits as much.

Posted By Big Chief

im not a fan of man utd, but i must admit that howard has impressed me so far..

As I said earlier I have not said who i voted for but i dont see any reason why howard should be discounted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

dunno cant decide but its a toss up between Howard and Cudicini!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement