Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xp 2200+ Fsb

• 07-10-2003 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭

im thinkin about upgrading my gigabyte 7vklms mobo with a 266mhz fsb to a new mobo with a 400mhz fsb. i wanna keep everything including my athlon xp 2200+ which i think told me has a 266mhz fsb (not sure if i was readin mobo value or what!!). so my question is:

is there any point in payin the extra for the 400mhz fsb mobo or is 266mhz the fastest i can get with that processor?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,649 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It is very unlikely your FSB would go anywhere near 200 unless you will be deploying very serious cooling techniques like watercooling / vapochill etc.

Check out if the CPU is the older Palomino core or the newer Thoroughbred. Might make a small difference in temperature / overclocking capability. Also your memory needs to be PC3200 DDR to get to FSB 200

And your case (with several case fans) and PSU need to be pretty ok to get all that heat out :)

Having said all that, there is still a good case to upgrade to the newer mobo. You could very well overclock your CPU a good bit, good enough to notice the difference. If your RAM is already PC3200, I'd go the extra €90 or so and get a Barton XP2500+ which is very overclockable in the right circumstances

Good luck with upgrade :)

Advertisement