Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young Lady...

• 07-10-2003 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi,

I would like to introduce you to Jackie, our 4 month old new dog. she is very lively and friendly.

I would like to know what breeds are in her, I would say that she is a terrier, but her tale is quite long... and the coat is light brown... so there must be something else in there...

I know the mother (which is mainly a terrier) but do not know the father...

Secondly, she is very friendly to everybody, which is nice, but I would like her to be more protective of the house, can we train her somehow?

Thanks for you time.Jackie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

well, a picture would be a great place to start, for all i know it could be a weasel...
    Secondly, she is very friendly to everybody, which is nice, but I would like her to be more protective of the house, can we train her somehow?
    yes, i've heard terriers can make great guard dogs:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

gaizka71,

Your piccie doesn't work :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭gaizka71

Picture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

hmmm... why do i have a feeling this young beauty might grow a lil bigger than expected hehe ;)

She def is mostly terrier, but there is somthing else in there, the head shape is not really that of a terrier, part of me wants to say collie

b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Beautiful dog!!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the input.

I was hoping there was a bit of labrador or german shepperd cos I like biggish dogs, well, in fact I would love an irish wolfhound or San Bernanrd... but she was a gift, and I really like
    her now...

Anyway, so you think she will grow a bit more... that is good.

Any other opinions?

Btw I was thinking about nutering her, but the vet thinks she is too young (15 weeks) how old does a bitch have to be be nutered..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

Personally, I would wait a while.
    After she comes into season for the first time is usually when they will do it. And u will know when that happens lol :)

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Cute dog.

/me melts.

Hi

news from jackie, she refuses to walk with me with the lead.

Until now she has been wondering around the house free like a bird, we bought the collar two weeks ago, and she did not have a problem with it... now, last week I decided it was time to teach her to go for walks on the road with me, oh boy, what a fight she hates the lead, I started just walking her around the garden, but she screams her head off, refusses to walk, lais on her back while I am dragging her... it is terrible, I feel awful, I have done this routune 6 days so far, and there seems to be some improvement, but I think she is looking at me in a different way now...

any comments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Her face looks a wee bit german shepard but shes too small to have any GSD in her.

I got a GSD pup last Febuary. Started the same way - walking round the house etc. He was a disaster when I first brought him round the roads on a lead.

I suggest bringing her to a big green area and tonnes of practice/patience!

It will take time. Do make her think that going on the lead is punishment. Make it as fun as possible. If she is going to get big you'd better train her.

I have just got my GSD up to par. As you can imagine a lot of people are afraid of shepards so he's nearly always on the lead when I bring him anywhere.

When you train the dog and you see the results it's worth it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Do make her think that going on the lead is punishment.

Obviously I meant DON'T make her think its punishment.
    Make it as fun as possible without letting her forget who's boss.

If you go to a big green area you can let her on/off and vary it a little as long as she comes back to you.

Hope this helps.

Cute Dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

Originally posted by gaizka71

Btw I was thinking about nutering her, but the vet thinks she is too young (15 weeks) how old does a bitch have to be be nutered..?

about 6 months...when she first comes into heat... but hink carefully about this, i got my dog done hwen she was 6 months and i wish now i let her have at least one set of pups... awwww

but shes fab.. check her out under the me section of www.rymus.net

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

about training her to walk on the lead. definately make it as fun as possible. treats such as choc drops can help by encouraging her to walk toward you with the lead on.
    wouldnt it feel awlful if somebody put something around your neck and dragged you around the place with it be scary and frightening. you should think how the dog feels.. gradually warm her up to the use of the lead let her investigate it, say your going for a walk, give her a treat and tell her shes good for putting on the lead.

my dog was walkign on the lead in no time, i dont ever remember her having a problem with it, but that is how i trained her and she is great to walk now.

Well,
    jackie has grown a bit, and making friends everywhere she goes now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

Is that a post card picture or what.... :) She looks lovely, good job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You must have her spayed at 6 month of age NO later!

She would come into heat soon after..do you really want to have a puppy having puppies? What if she mates with a dog that is a larger breed you could end up killing her and the pups if the pups are too large and she is too underdeveloped to give birth to them.

There are enough dogs and puppies ..perfectly fine ones in the pounds and rescues at the moment.

Do not let her come into heat.
    If she did have pups they would all need vaccinating/worming etc..dogs can have anything from 1 to 10 or more pups do you have the money and recourses to rehome them all ...rehoming them not neutered will lead to more pups again.

http://www.irishanimals.ie/care/behaviour.html

That is the link to dog behaviourists, I suggest you take a puppy class in your area or contact a behaviourist for more information.

Yes puppies are cute but they do grow up and if you are already having problems with the pup you have then how would you cope with up to 10 more puppies.

She is a very mixed breed, too mixed to pick out any particular breed she would be most like although she is beautiful, I suggest you have her spayed at exactly 6 months, take her to a few puppy classes..a class that deals in humane methods of training and just enjoy the dog for who she is.

thanks, It is a real pic, I have a few others in the same stile that prove it... will update later when I get home...

and she was spayed when she became 6 months... so do not worry about her...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

I think jackie is a 'sooner'.

more pics of the same day...

and the last one for now...

• Advertisement
Advertisement