Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with CV

• 07-10-2003 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

I have a problem with my cv. I was in a job which I was forced to quit see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115398 for full story.

Problem is how to handle this when looking for work. That would I put on a CV that is not dishonest but will help me get an interview. Its a awkward situation and I dont know what to do.

Thanks in advance

James

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Personally, I don't put the reason for leaving on my CV, but then my CV's not exactly bursting with work experience.

If you feel you must put something down, maybe something along the lines of "The nature of the work changed such that commuting became unreasonably inconvenient".

The whole story isn't necessary to be fleshed out, even in an interview. If it was me, I would just say that the work was moved to a new site, too far away to travel, and since the employer refused to compromise, you had to leave. Mention a 'brief absence, after which the job changed' if you want, but I wouldn't deem it necessary, and it only leads to more questions.

You don't need to lie. Just be economical with the truth.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Thanks Seamus

But what could I do if they wanted a reference from them? They would not be the best people to ask.

Can you specify who they ask or will they automaticaly ask the last employer?

Thanks again
    James

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"References available on request" is you friend.

If they ask, give them the good ones. If they don't, then they have no-one to go to at any point, without asking you first :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

In this case what you can do is put down the last employer as being your CURRENT employer.

It is very unusual to ask for a reference from current employers.

Advertisement