Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL Broadband - - Setup Time??

• 07-10-2003 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi all,

Would like to hear from anyone who has had IOL BB residental (self install) setup...

How long exactly did it take from when you applied before you were up and running??

Thanks

Silent_Bob

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

i think 3 weeks is about right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 silent_bob

Is that how long it took you to get IOL BB Ando?

Long enough eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭PaulMagrath

Exactly 17 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

I first called them on 14th July, if i remember correctly.
    They said forms would be in the post.
    Week later, no forms.
    Called them again.
    "Sorry, we'll send you out some more forms".
    Eventually got the forms.
    Sent them back, day after i sent them back, i was emailed and asked to give a username and password that i'd like to use.
    Didn't hear anything for a few weeks.
    Rang them again, "It'll be active on 23rd( august, by the way ), modem will arrive a couple days before hand".
    Modem arrived two days later.
    23rd came and went, line wasn't activated.
    Called them on the 24th, to see if line was active.
    It wasn't, and wouldn't be until further notice.
    Sept 1st i walk past the computer, see the dsl light on the modem is solid green. Logged on, everything worked.
    So all in all it took between 6-7 weeks.
    How's that for speedy service?

In fairness to them, the service itself has been great.
    Have no complaints at all.

Killian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

2 and a half months of torture, dont mention the war :D

• Advertisement

Wow,

Am looking forward to My BB...

Hope i dont have to wait 2 and a half months :confused:

Silent_bob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

didnt mean to put you off man!

I dont think they'll have such a huge backlog again, dont worry.

I applied at a time when they were overwhelmed with orders and couldnt really handle it - thats the official story...

From what i heard, they've improved - at least in terms of connecting people on time...so let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭kmurph

My line suddenly started passing the tests at the end of August so I placed my order with IOLBB in the second week of September.

A week later they rang back telling me if they hold off putting my order through until October 1 they'd be able to give me the new offer with the free installation etc., and I'd be up and going about the third week of October. Fair enough.

Anyway, I had bought one of those D-link dsl300+ modems as I already had a wireless router. Plugged the phone line into it last Saturday and to my surprise I was getting a link. Still couldn't connect though. Tried it again on Monday evening after work and it was working fine.

So technically less than a week to get up and going, although I'm sure some of the work in the exchange may have been done in September.

Very happy so far by the way. Getting between 50-54k/sec downloads depending on the server. Not a gamer so couldn't care less about the pings.

Got a call from Esat Today...

Told me that I would Be "Live" on October 17th (a friday)...Should have my equipment the following Monday or Tuesday!!

Told me that the reason it would take a bit longer (I applied September 26th) was that my exchange was full here in Waterford, but that they had gotten space and Eircom told them October 17th!!

Hopefully all goes according to plan

silent_bob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Took me about 3 weeks aswell and another week before that to get rid of ISDN.. it's worth the wait though woo 8gb cap now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Well IOL have thumbs up so far, I completed a online form on 28th Sept, called into the ESAT office on 30th to sign direct debit. Phoned today 8th Oct and my account is setup, told to expect SDS with self install kit tomorrow.

Thats good service im my op!

Thats certainly sounds great...

Wish that could have been what i was told...

Oh well

:(

Silent_bob

Not rubbing any salt but came home last night and the package containing modem was in the porch. Still looking good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

I am a muppet who doesn't read proper like..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

I ordered iol bb lastnight (after four months of crap with my line failing).... hope it doesnt take too long to get setup... might ring them in a few mins to confirm that they have the application form and stuff.

mike ya eircon scumbag. stay off this iol thread :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Wh0ops.. Didn't notice the big IOL thing.. Edits post quickly.. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

does anyone konw what the difference is if you have eircom phonewatch on your line?

im gettin iol and went for the self install option but becuase i have phonewatch i have to go for the [more expensive] engineer install. anyway i can do this myself?

cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

just over 2 months.

but the service really is fantastic, so i'm no longer complaining! =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

just over a week from sign up to connection. Would have been sooner but the next door neighbour took the modem from the parcel man when it arrived and only popped it around last night.

Could have better help/procedures on userids/passwords for account and for mail tho. Some contradictory advice/examples on help.iol.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭manic_monster

Is everything provided in the install package? Cables etc? If do is the cable very long?
    If not what cable is the best to buy? I have heard quality can degrade if you don't have a decent cable.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Ye, the helpdesk was not any better, I posted onto a thread in this board around the password user name issue etc

Lawdie, is that a yes - everything is provided or were you answering something else?

If yes - How long is the cable provided?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

Originally posted by manic_monster
    Is everything provided in the install package? Cables etc? If do is the cable very long?
    If not what cable is the best to buy? I have heard quality can degrade if you don't have a decent cable.
    Thanks
    Yes, everything is provided. That includes a cable from the modem to the telephone socket. It's not long, let's say 2m.

I initially tried a much longer one I had previously been using for dialup but that didn't work at all with DSL.

I intend to keep my modem where it is, close to the socket for maximum connection quality, but hook it to an Ethernet network so I can put my PC anywhere.

Thanks for the info - I will need a longer cable so. To go from the socket to an upstairs room.

What am I going looking for? Is it a phone cable or an isdn cable? I have both.

Thanks again

Using some very rough figures:

A plain phone cable must support a bandwidth of about 4kHz. An ISDN (128kb/s variety) cable must support a low multiple of that bandwidth (i.e. 2-4 times, so let's say 16kHz).

An ADSL cable must support a bandwidth of over 1MHz.

So there is no guarantee that either an ISDN extension cable or a plain telephone extension cable will be adequate.

That's why I intend getting the connection off DSL as close to the master phone socket as possible, and onto ethernet.

Thanks - For the short term(until Santy arrives ) I will be using the usb modem they provide. What is the best cable to use with it?

Thanks

Originally posted by manic_monster
    Thanks - For the short term(until Santy arrives ) I will be using the usb modem they provide. What is the best cable to use with it?
    I have never looked to see what the highest standard telephone wire available is.

How about taking some ethernet cable (CAT5), chopping off the RJ-45 connectors and replacing them with RJ-11 connectors?

I'm just speculating here. Perhaps you could talk to the boys in Maplin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

FYI : I only have 1 phone socket in the house and an extension lead running (the long way) up the stairs, round the wall and into my bedroom with IOLBB and it works like a charm. The only issue I have with it is the connection gets dropped when I activate my 56k modem to dial my old isp or dial work (pesky ras) but Im pretty sure that is a problem with my PC not the cable. My flatmate can happy surf using her modem whilst Im trying to break the 8Gig cap ;)

Well my activation date is nearly here 17th October!!!

Been in touch with IOL and got to deal with a really helpful member of their sales team...told me the modem should be shipped tomorrow as soon as the line is activated!!!

Would really like my Bband over the weekend, so can anyone tell me:

1. Do SDS deliever on Weekends?

2. Do you guys reckon you can pick an SDS package up at the sorting office on a weekend?

TIA

Bob

• Advertisement

Got My Broadband Today...And Modem!!!!

YEAHHH!!!

:D:D:D

Advertisement