Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England Squad in Strike Threat

• 08-10-2003 9:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭

It was the lead story on SkyNews this morning. Also on skysports website here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The FA will not give in and every single player are going to go to Turkey and that will be the end of it. There not going to take the risk of losing out on Euro 2004 because of one player. Also, every player voted for the strike but I bet half of them (especially Terry) don't want it and they are just following the pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

fair play to em tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The revolt is over! Or at least on Pause.

There was never any doubt was there but it seems judging from the players statement there is a schism between the players/manager and the FA.
    "Over the past two years since the appointment of Sven-Goran Eriksson as the England team manager, the England football team have talked consistently of showing togetherness and having a fantastic team spirit within our camp.

"We feel that, this week, the whole of our squad have shown that togetherness and spirit to be as strong as ever in the best possible way.

"It is our opinion that the organisation we represent has not only let down one of our team-mates, but the whole of the England squad and its manager.

"We feel that they have failed us very badly.

"One of our team-mates was penalised without being given the rights he is entitled to and without any charges being brought against him by the governing body of the game.

"Rio Ferdinand was entitled to confidentiality and a 'fair' hearing in front of an independent commission.

"We believe the people responsible for making the decision did not give Rio Ferdinand that due process and that has disrupted and made the team weaker against the wishes of the manager and the players.

"All the England players are proud to wear the England shirt and would never let England, Sven-Goran Eriksson or our magnificent fans down.

"The events of the last few days have not been easy to deal with, when you consider the lack of protection that our team-mate was given once this decision had been made.

"We apologise to our manager, staff and fans for any concerns that may have arisen over the past few days.

"In our minds, there has never been any question as to whether we would play in this game. We will continue our preparations for Saturday's game.

"We are fully focused on the match in Istanbul and the only thing that matters to the whole of the England squad and manager is that we qualify for the European Championships next summer.

"There will be no further comment on this matter until after the game in Turkey."

Mike.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    fair play to em tbh.
    fair play? they are a disgrace.

Ferdinand is the one in the wrong here, not the FA. This BBC article sums it up for me pretty well:
    And yet the chosen few, who should regard representing their country as an honour, are currently treating the privilege like a personal play-thing.

When the muddied waters of this farcical episode finally clear, one fact alone is beyond dispute.

And that is that Ferdinand blatantly broke the rules by failing to take a drug test on 23 September.

There can be no defence, and for England's players to even consider boycotting this crucial game on such flimsy grounds is a pathetic, childish and shameful dereliction of duty.

Full article here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/3176172.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

One of the worst bluffs ever, they were always gonna play no matter what.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

fair play to em tbh.

Oh please :rolleyes:

http://www.football365.com/All_News/News_Features/story_85010.shtml
    * Would the England players be considering going on strike if, say, James Beattie had failed to complete his drugs test?

* Why is it that the England players cannot understand that there is no difference in the rule book for failing a drugs test and failing to complete a drugs test, and no difference in the rule book for a third division player and an England international?

* Two weeks ago at the Walkers Stadium, the ManYoo away fans ‘mocked’ Leicester with a rendition of ‘Are you England in disguise?’. On Wednesday on BBC Radio Five Live, ManYoo supporters rang in to say that they hoped ‘England would lose’ if Rio wasn’t included. Just what do the ManYoo supporters have against England, and why?

* Considering Rio’s (scheduled) drugs test was held two days after the shovefest at Old Trafford, is anyone else surprised that the FA’s drugs unit was in Manchester and not at Arsenal’s training ground that Tuesday morning?

* And considering Rio’s (scheduled) drugs test was held two days after the shovefest at Old Trafford, why has it taken three weeks to come to light?

* When a millionaire footballer moves house, just how much hassle is it for him? Are we to believe that he lugs boxes like everyone else?

* And if it was so much hard work, why was Rio pictured shopping at Harvey Nichols later that afternoon?

* Just how did Manchester United allow Rio Ferdinand, their most expensive player, to leave training without completing his drugs test? When the rest of his team-mates trudged off to take it, did nobody wonder where their centre-half had got to?

* After his performance against Stuttgart last week, is Rio’s enforced ommission really that big of a blow?

* Could you imagine, at some moment in the future, trying to explain that England forfeited their place in the Euro 2004 championships because they refused to play after one of their team-mates was omitted from the squad because he failed to take a drugs test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

they may be going out on the pitch but will they play any way good against them?

Ferdinand is the one in the wrong here, not the FA.
    Jesus, there was no doubt in my mind that they'd play but at least they made some sort of stand against what really was an unfair decesion.

Yes ferdinand was in the wrong but just as much as the FA imo.

Hypothetical situation: For your work you have to do periodic drug testing. You missed one for whatever reason and next thing you know there's a memo going around your work that you have been sacked or on forced leave because of missing a drugs test and doubts about your innocence while they investigate.

In some of your co-workers eyes there will always be doubt about you afterwards wether you were guilty or innocent. Its your right to confidentiality till you have been proven guilty.

Tell me how the FA are not in the wrong for the way they have handled this plz?
    fair play? they are a disgrace.
    [/qute]
    Your calling the players a disgrace for standing up for a coleague when the FA go against their own confidentiality rules?

If you were a coleague of mine and it happened to you i'd stand up for you no matter wether i knew you or not cos it could happen to me some day and no one deserves to be treated like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

the FA did not release his name - ManU did.

Now if the FA allowed people to not bother taking drugs test, or just handing out fines then there wouldn't be any point in having the tests in the first place.

Considering Rio’s (scheduled) drugs test was held two days after the shovefest at Old Trafford, is anyone else surprised that the FA’s drugs unit was in Manchester and not at Arsenal’s training ground that Tuesday morning?

The relevance?
    And considering Rio’s (scheduled) drugs test was held two days after the shovefest at Old Trafford, why has it taken three weeks to come to light?
    Because he has beend ropped for the international game?
    * When a millionaire footballer moves house, just how much hassle is it for him? Are we to believe that he lugs boxes like everyone else?
    Well i don't know and i don;t think the author knows either. besides theres more to moving house than just lugging boxes everywhere. Theres packing and unpacking as well as well as some other bits and pieces like being at the house when the boxes arrive. I dont think his wife/girlfriend (dont know if he has one) would appreciate being there alone to do all this. if he doesnt have a wife/girlfriend it would be even more obvious why he'd need to be there.
    * And if it was so much hard work, why was Rio pictured shopping at Harvey Nichols later that afternoon
    He never said it was hard work. He said he'd forgotten. (or if the author means moving house, im sure hes allowed a break from it)
    Again i don't see the relevance. If he was really trying to dodge the drug test why in the world would you go shopping out in full view of the general public.
    Just how did Manchester United allow Rio Ferdinand, their most expensive player, to leave training without completing his drugs test? When the rest of his team-mates trudged off to take it, did nobody wonder where their centre-half had got to?
    Only four players had to take it, i doubt many people knew which 4 exactly it were. Still it's a decent question. Dont see the relevance tho. Why didn't someone ring him?

After his performance against Stuttgart last week, is Rio’s enforced ommission really that big of a blow?
    No relevance what so ever.

Could you imagine, at some moment in the future, trying to explain that England forfeited their place in the Euro 2004 championships because they refused to play after one of their team-mates was omitted from the squad because he failed to take a drugs test?
    Yer would be funny to see. Never believe the players would strike but im still glad they kicked up some fuss.

Tbh that article is tripe.

• Advertisement

Jesus, there was no doubt in my mind that they'd play but at least they made some sort of stand against what really was an unfair decesion.

Yes ferdinand was in the wrong but just as much as the FA imo.

Hypothetical situation: For your work you have to do periodic drug testing. You missed one for whatever reason and next thing you know there's a memo going around your work that you have been sacked or on forced leave because of missing a drugs test and doubts about your innocence while they investigate.

In some of your co-workers eyes there will always be doubt about you afterwards wether you were guilty or innocent. Its your right to confidentiality till you have been proven guilty.

They are not in the wrong. Ferdinand is guilty. He did not submit to the drugs test which is the same thing as failing it in the rules. The FA were right to suspend him from the national team until they decide on a punishment. They'd get into big trouble with FIFA otherwise.

As for the likeliness of simply 'forgetting', i think other posts have covered this well.
    Your calling the players a disgrace for standing up for a coleague when the FA go against their own confidentiality rules?

If you were a coleague of mine and it happened to you i'd stand up for you no matter wether i knew you or not cos it could happen to me some day and no one deserves to be treated like that.
    There's standing up for a teammate and then there's treating your national team like your own personal play-toy. I have no problem with them displaying solidarity but they've gone about it completely the wrong way. If you are picked for your national team and you accept the offer then you should play. Holding it hostage when something isn't to your liking is disgraceful behaviour.

Decent point about the plaything but im afraid ill still have to say fair play to em.

He missed a drugs test 'sorry I forgot' is not a good enough excuse, he should be punished and he will be punished. Trying to turn this to being all the FA's fault is a bit silly, they didn't force him to 'forget' taking the drugs test, they didn't even release his name.

One thing is for sure though and that is if the players do not appear to be giving 100% against Turkey - expect the newspapers to be baying for blood the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

He missed a drugs test 'sorry I forgot' is not a good enough excuse, he should be punished and he will be punished. Trying to turn this to being all the FA's fault is a bit silly, they didn't force him to 'forget' taking the drugs test, they didn't even release his name.

There is a precedent in this case. a £2000 fine i believe was the punishment handed out last time to a man city player . Shoud ferdinand be treated differently, If so Why?

because Rio wouldnt even notice 20k fine, whats that 1.3 days wage ? Thats assuming that his club wouldnt pay it for him of course.

look I know your a manU fan, but even you can see that fines are not going to stop people who would think that they might fail a drugs test from ignoring them.

If your just going to fine players - you may as well not have the random drugs testing there in the first place, as the only people who will take the test are the ones who are sure that they will not fail them.

What punishment would you like to see for failing to take a drugs test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

B-K you're saying this purely because you're a United fan. Say, for the sake of argument, that Ashley Cole was the player in question - would you be on here saying he did the right thing standing up to the FA etc. etc?

Would you bollocks.

Off topic, but long live Ashley Cole.

He's a cunt. He's great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Fifa would not have kicked up a stink about Ferdinand playing, it is not within their jurisdiction at the moment, Mark Palios said that it was his call to make and he made it. Fiar play to him for making it, I am sure that it was a pressure decision and that alot of people did not agree with him on it but with the strong anti doping sentiment coming from the FA I think he made the right decision.

Man United released his name, not the FA and while it is good to see some solidarity in the team, but I think that they were fighting a lost cause.

BTW kif, you can't go around here calling players cunts.

BTW kif, you can't go around here calling players ****s.

Not Even if Its True??;)

Posted by Ping
    because Rio wouldnt even notice 20k fine, whats that 1.3 days wage ?

I am not suggesting a figure for a fine. The precedent for a monetary fine for this offence has been set. As far as I know a players earnings have no bearing on the amount of FA fines , as you point out the clubs probably pick them up anyway.

maybe the players should be protesting to the FA over the leniency of the punishment then :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

I think the fact that the English players stuck together on this is a good sign for their team spirit.

They felt (rightly or wrongly) that one of their mates had been shafted by a guy in a suit trying to make a name for himself.

I'm sure if they get a result in Turky that the English press and people will quickly forgive them.
    (Of course if they loose they'll be slaughtered but that's nothing new);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Here’s a hypothetical question: (to anybody that thinks Rio has been treated unfairly)

Let’s just say that “you” were a professional athlete, a hundred meter sprinter. Right, now you were in a big race a couple of weeks ago with an awful lot at stake. You end up coming second, just pipped at the post! You find out that a week after the race the guy who just beat you in the race was suppose to go for a random drugs test but didn’t because he forgot and sure anyway he had an appointment with his “hair stylist”. However, he did turn up for the drugs test 36 hours later and the results were negative.
    Now, ask yourself this question, would you be happy with no action being taken against this guy?? I sincerely doubt it!

Drugs testing is there for a reason and they are conducted in a professional manner by professionals, and it’s about time other “so-called” professionals/footballers took a leaf out of their book and started to act like professionals themselves.

TBH I probably agree with the suggestion that he did actually genuinely forget because he was moving house but to be honest, when you’re being paid up 70K a week which enables you to buy these amazing houses it simply isn’t a good enough excuse.

You can spend here to eternity blaming MANU for not making sure he went and blaming the FA for not making him available for selection but at the end of the day Rio is a very well paid “adult” and one of the responsibilities of being so well paid is to make yourself available (at the drop of a hat) for random drug testing and therefore I feel that Rio and nobody else has to be responsible for his actions!!

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Ashley Cole gets dragged into most things these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Part of any athletes job is drug tetsing. Its not "something in work they have to do". It is a citeria set that is paramount to their continued participation in the sport. For the dedication to training, media intrusions and inconveniences like drug testing they get paid obsene amoounts of money.

Ferdinand failed to perform a task that is vital to his profession. He was unavailable when they tried to contact him, yet was seen out shopping later that day. Manchester Utd released his name when the news of "a player" broke. The FA acted as they had to.

People keep refering to athletics, but in athletics if you miss a test it gets recorded as a "no show" and you have to take another test. If you record 3 no show's then it is counted as the same as failing a test.

I havn,t seen a relaiable source as to how his name was released to the media but Man U have publically slated the FA for not respecting the players right to confidentiality.

Rio will get a small fine and that will be the end of it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/3177242.stm
    But he defended the FA's stance on confidentiality.

"Confidentiality is a key issue - we are very well aware of our duty in this respect and I have no doubt we have acted entirely properly."

Ferdinand's name was released by Manchester United, not the Football Association.

B-K you're saying this purely because you're a United fan. Say, for the sake of argument, that Ashley Cole was the player in question - would you be on here saying he did the right thing standing up to the FA etc. etc?

Would you bollocks.
    When have i ever on these boards said anything purely as a man u fan? Ive always tried to be come accross with a neutral opinion. I try to forget im a man u fan on these boards as theres enough people here to argue the case for Man u who do it with far mroe passion.

I dont like Ashley Cole but if it happened to him i'd be just as pleased that his English teammates stood with him. When your confidentiality is breached its a serious issue no matter who you are.

If its true that Man U released the name and not the FA then Ferdinand really should have some strong words with whoever made that little feck up. Disgraceful if they did release it to be honest.
    Any one got more info on how it was released?

Advertisement