Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OLD FIRM on PrimeTime

• 08-10-2003 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭

Interesting piece on the Old Firm on Prime Time - it showed that both sides have a core of scum followers (minority, I'm sure )and that the football for them is only an excuse. Both sides blamed the other (naturally) for the hatred between the clubs but yet a lot of them seemed to revel in it.

2 things stood out for me :

1) A Celtic supporter got his throat slit (this was a good few years ago) and his killer attempts to get classed as a political prisoner and wanted to be released under the Good Friday agreement (backed by one of the unionist parties) - bizarre.

2) A couple of Ranger supporters, living and working over here, had to watch the recent Rangers Champions League match at a mates house, as the knew that they wouldn't last 5 minutes if they tried to get to see it in a Dublin pub - very tolerable , the Irish can are sometimes.

Even though I have little or no interest in Scottish football this piece was worth a watch - anyone else see it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

didnt see it, didnt have to really..

im 100% fully aware of all this bigoted secterian crap that happens both in scotland and in ireland (north included), watching a programme state the obvious wasnt gonna do much for me.

some of them are nutters yes, and the reason they fight is because they want to fight, religion/football team is just an excuse to do so. If it wasnt that, then it would be something else, unfortunately its part & parcel of football it would appear.

Something you done well to notice though is that it is just that, the minority. Theres places you learn to avoid where these known scumbags are usually around (the louden tavern just off duke street being the perfect example...) Just try to stay away from them personally, i dont mind a bit of banter but sectarian violence makes my blood boil.

There was a family man (a father of 2 if i remember correctly) who was killed after the match on saturday. He was wearing his teams colours and never bothered anyone. Stabbed to death i believe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Typical that neither of the clubs was willing to talk about the issue. Someone here raised a point in a previous Old-Firm thread- namely how both pander to sectarian mentalities as its actually good for business, they sell more shirts/scarves/flags etc as they know the knuckledraggers will buy anything that gloryfies thier team and piss of the opposition.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

They also had a spokesman from "OK2BOO.com" on to have his say on the matter ... It was an interesting look into both sides but the report did not go on for long enough nor did it dig deep enough either ...

It did seem though that the conclusion was that most thought that nothing would change in the foreseeable future, even one ex-celtic player stated he thought he would not live to see any positive changes made by either side to stop the sectarianism and hatred ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

what about the whole 'bhoys against bigotry' that celtic were running for ages (are they still running it now?)

the clubs have tried to get rid of it, even banning known members from the grounds, unfortunately it isnt quite as easy as that as we can all see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

unfortunately i didnt see this but i heard it was basically a 'hatchet job' on irish celtic supporters.
    building up a stereotypical image of all irish celtic fans.

programmes like that do no good to rangers or celtic, they ruin their repuation (as poor as it is already) and imply to non soccer fans, that this is what happens all the time in glasgow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 brucealmighty

programmes like that do no good to rangers or celtic, they ruin their repuation (as poor as it is already) and imply to non soccer fans, that this is what happens all the time in glasgow.

Burying your head in the sand won,t do any good in the long term either. Its time the Irish celtic fans got a grip and realised the consequences of their actions.

Advertisement