Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who likes SMART cars?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

RE: Mercedes Benz is owned by Daimler-Chrysler
    Yeah that's what Chrysler thought for a while too :)
    And Renault own that quintessentially American truck company MACK

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Originally posted by rymus
    Also saw a humvee.. but thats another story altogether

Saw a stretch Hummer in Montreal last year...

coolest thing ive ever seen.. was about 35 feet long...

F*ckin Class :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

MadsL
    ........maybe you just don't like the fact that I can change the body panels any time I want instead

Welcome to the future

[/QUOTE

Future? Unfortunately you will be screwed with insurance service cost and other big things that will come whit this little car.

Don't get me wrong as I like the car but the cool factor of this baby merc would not justify the price for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

err...Smart car...combined cycle 60mpg = 60*0.22 = 13.2 miles a litre = about 6c a mile.

Say 7000 mile a year @ 6c a mile = 420 euro on juice,
    plus insurance @ 520 euro, road tax @ 140 euro.

Total running costs for the year = 1080 + an A service at 180. Total for the year well less than 1,500 notes.

Now my last car was a 1.6 Focus. 42 mpg = 7.96 miles a litre = 10 cents a mile = 700 euro on juice, 372 road tax, insurance @ 1400
    10,000mile Service @ 165 euro service.
    Total cost for the year = 2,673 euro

Difference of 1137 euro.

Think I might just book a nice holiday next year then! God I feel violated I'm being SO screwed paying an extra 20 euro for my servicing. Hang on, I'm bored with the colour, I'll have a respray - oh, don't need one - 250 quid for the panels, ah well, only 760 euro left in the holiday fund.

happy driving anyway

• Advertisement

Who likes Smarts? - Nicky Lauda for one...
    Three-time Formula One champion Nicky Lauda has launched a car business that will rent cars for one euro (around $1) a day.

"Laudamotion," will rent 50 advertising-plastered Smart cars, the small urban-oriented vehicles made by DaimlerChrysler, in Austria.

Individual customers renting the cars will have to drive at least 30km a day in Vienna to get the cut-price deal.

Drivers doing fewer than 30 km will be charged one euro for each km they didn't cover.

Lauda said on Wednesday he hoped to reach sales of 750,000 euros ($877,000) in the first year of operation.

They are good for this ok. Why to buy one if you can rent one for 1E :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Not me. I hate "cutesy" cars.

Madsl, I admire your Tesco fighting skillz, but your taste in cars revolts me. Christ, the Hyundai Coupe seems to exude style and class compared to this. You must have one massive langer, because this is about as far away from a car being a penis-extension as you could get!

...phew.. Gay Icons i can live with

I knew there was something strange about this dude.#
    Do they sell pink panels for SMART cars?

as far away from a car being a penis-extension as you could get!

By that logic then ColinM you'd require a Hummer to make you feel comfortable. :D

Talk to any Smart owner and they will tell you that these things are 2.5m of sheer fun, and the best cars they have EVER driven. I bought mine because as a family we didn't need 2 cars - 1.5 cars suited us better...I thought I'd just save on fuel economy. tax etc...but driving this in heavy traffic is just a pleasure, and I'm perversely actually enjoying driving in Dublin again...(never thought I'd say that.

GModified if there is something you'd like to get off your chest than you can come out with it if you like - this forum might helphttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=255

• Advertisement

Originally posted by MadsL
    By that logic then ColinM you'd require a Hummer to make you feel comfortable. :D
    I drive an 18-wheeler articulated lorry.

The prosecution rests, m'lud.

Heh, sorry about the delay in replying - it took me ages to come up with a rebuttal!

Anyway, I was just watching one of Jeremy Clarkson's latest videos which is basically a collection of the best bits from this year's Top Gear.

In one segment, Clarkson did a piece about how great his new Mercedes SL55 AMG was and afterwards, back in the studio, Richard Hammond pointed out to him that a UK website for gays and gay lifestyle had a top ten list of the "gayest cars", where the SL55 ranked in 4th place!

Guess what was the number one gayest car? Of course - it was the Smart!

The homophobic counsel for the defense (with the tiny wang) rests, m'lud!

http://www.outuk.com/content/features/car/index.html

The top 10 gayest cars:
    1. Smart
    2. Jeep Wrangler
    3. Pink Rolls-Royce
    4. Mercedes SL55 AMG
    5. New Mini
    6. BMW Z8
    7. Porsche convertible
    8. Classic Chevy
    9. New Skoda
    10.New Beetle

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The pink rolls was third? Third? and not a Yaris or Matiz in sight?

I'd buy a Smart if I was doing pretty much nothing but city driving - say if I lived in London (actually, then I'd use the tube and rent a car when I needed it but you get my point)

Let's kill the wang measurement subthread - the bits about the car have been interesting reading

Advertisement