Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid inane n-gage adverts

• 08-10-2003 11:34am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone see the n-gage adverts on the tv or the bus stops yet? They have to be the some of the worst adverts for a console ever and probably only beaten in crapness by the PS2 third place adverts. Even the dreamcast adverts were better. Why don't the people who makes these stupid adverts take a look at the far better nintendo and microsoft adverts. They actually show the games on the console instead of annoying and confussing you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

True,

But all ads these days seem to be going ****. I seen a MacDonalds ad the other day and it had nothing to do with burgers. Looked more like a clothes ad or something.

The xbox ads when it first came out were great. I did love the nintendo Big Brother ads in the newspapers and the fighting cube on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Im far from a Sony fan, but I actually liked the 3rd Place ads. In-game footage can come across as juvenile .

Sounds like I may like the N-Gage adverts too.

Matt

Edit: I agree the McDonalds and KFC ads are pretty dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Len_007

N-Gaged, doomed to failure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

This is where...

...the N-Gage reached an almighty death.

Yeah, I thought it was really crappy the first time I saw it. Both Sony and Nokia have used the same advertising technique to promote their consoles, but they're not very good.

I dislike Nintendo's European print ads (the GBA SP ones were pretty cool, although I question the "For Men" tagline). They're damn lazy on all the rest. Apart from the ad shown during the Gamecube launch, the same goes for their televised ads in my opinion. Their US ads are much better.

Sega made the best damn print adverts, I remember some great ones during the Dreamcast days.

On Microsoft, at the end of 2002, I got an Xbox DVD (free, somewhere) which showcased the Xbox and its games etc. On it, there was an advertisement which was banned from TV, probably because it was too extreme. Basically, this woman is just about to deliver her baby. However, it blasts out the window from her womb and soars through the sky (comical alright). During this time, it ages from a baby to kid, teen, adult, old man. Finally, as it descends at massive speed, it hits its proposed gravestone. Everything goes silent, and the tagline "Play More" along with the Xbox logo appears. I have to say that thats probably the best televised ad I've seen concerning video games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

I went to the my local eircom store today (god knows why) but they had an N-GAGE setup on a display stand, had a little go off it, looks very nice I must say but i wouldnt stump up the money for it

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    Anyone see the n-gage adverts on the tv or the bus stops yet? They have to be the some of the worst adverts for a console ever and probably only beaten in crapness by the PS2 third place adverts. Even the dreamcast adverts were better. Why don't the people who makes these stupid adverts take a look at the far better nintendo and microsoft adverts. They actually show the games on the console instead of annoying and confussing you.

Why are the n-gage and third place advertisements stupit? Are you saying the third place advertisements did not work? Do you have a clue about marketing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

The PS2 adverts must be stupid, if there managing to out sell newer systems at a higher price.

Originally posted by Stormfox1020
    The PS2 adverts must be stupid, if there managing to out sell newer systems at a higher price.

That would say they are good and not stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

/me gives Monument a book entitled "A Dummies Guide to Sarcasm"

I've seen the X-box ad Freak-scenery mentions and I'd have to agree that it's good. It was the thing that first made me stop laughing at the idea that Microsoft could make a decent console.

Originally posted by amp
    /me gives Monument a book entitled "A Dummies Guide to Sarcasm"

Err... just pointing it out, err... I am sometimes not quite awake after work :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Originally posted by f®eak_s©enery

Sega made the best damn print adverts, I remember some great ones during the Dreamcast days.
    Apart from the Ad they had, with a sattelite photo of north america, and the clouds were made to look like the dreamcast swirl, and they paid 100, 000 dollars for it. Failing to realise that the clouds pretty much looked like the DC swirl already, and 10 minutes of photoshopping would have had the same effect as paying someone 100,000 to design it.
    And lets not forget the bloody awful T.V ad's with robbie williams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Burago

I see them on the DART everyday. I played Tomb Raider on an N-Gage in Gamesworld today. Not bad at all for a little while but the GBA is much better. When Vodafone are giving them away I'll pick one up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by clownboy
    But all ads these days seem to be going ****. I seen a MacDonalds ad the other day and it had nothing to do with burgers.
    Not a fan of the old "you know when you've had sprouts" Tango campaign then?

some strrrrrraaaange sodaaaah will sort you out rapid, like

Originally posted by f®eak_s©enery
    On it, there was an advertisement which was banned from TV...
    ... eventually. I can remember seeing it quite a few times on the goggle box. And yup, 'twas a great advert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Sega had the best ads. Get yourself a cyber razor cut

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The PS2 sold on brand name not because the ads were so great that it made people rush out and buy them. The third place ads and n-gage ads just confuse and annoy me. Any one remember the first snes ads on tv that just showed the best bits from it's best games. Being bombarded with images of classics like contra 3, axelay, mario world and super aleste made me want the console far more than looking at some people with animal heads.

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    The PS2 sold on brand name not because the ads were so great that it made people rush out and buy them. The third place ads and n-gage ads just confuse and annoy me. Any one remember the first snes ads on tv that just showed the best bits from it's best games. Being bombarded with images of classics like contra 3, axelay, mario world and super aleste made me want the console far more than looking at some people with animal heads.

Yes, that is you. But every one was talking about the TP PS2 ads - remember SCE also do the game play type ads.

The PS2 was sold on its brand name but it was backed up by marketing which worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I always thought the third place ads were crap, well thats abit harsh. Just not great. I preferred ads like the soul reaver one for the ps1. A bit like third place but with game content included.

The best sony ads were the "SAPS" ones. They were great!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Someone should get Adam Jones to direct some ads.

The PS2 ad with the seething masses of writhing bodies filling the city like ants is pretty cool.
    The one with the blue astro-turf pitch in the desert sucked big round juicy cack-plastered mule testes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

deary me.

some of you people have no taste. if an add is going to confuse you to that degree then don't watch television.

The point behind the adds is to get you to ask "what is the 3rd place" or "why is there a print for a stupid nokia handheld".

When you look into it,the more it eye candys you the more you want one, you see yourself in the "3Rd Place" and gaming away etc.

well,thats my take on it anyways.

theres no problem with being creative.

I agree that the X-Box adds were brill,unfortunately they couldn't be aired on telly :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by monument
    remember SCE also do the game play type ads.

haha...yeah that guy in a white coat.
    Definitely didnt work for me as i bought a saturn but sega's superior marketing certainly wasnt the reason as i never saw a single saturn advertisement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement