Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a wireless network

Options
  • 08-10-2003 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to set up a wireless network for about 8 pc's and also to connect then up to a shared broadband connection. I'd rather use a standalone router\firewall as opposed to using a pc as a proxy to handle the internet connection. Preferrably one that can be remotely montiored.

I've set up regular cable LANs before but am a bit of a newbie when it comes to the wireless lan arena. What kind of kit would i need and can ye recommend some good stuff?
    Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

Komplett sell a 3com wireless hub for about 80 euro, along with a Cnet PCI wireless card for another 50. The kit is fairly good...

I have it set up in a secure enough fashion. The AP does not advertise itself... someone has to know both its name and 128bit WEP key before standard wireless equipment will be able to even verify its existance.

You can daisy chain it with whatever router you want, it should work fine.

This is all 11mbps stuff, you can expect to pay a good bit more for the 54mbps stuff. Personally, if I need the speed it isn't that much hassle for me to plug my laptop into a switch or whatever. It may be different for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Cheers, will look them up.
    Speed isnt really that big an issue. mainly going to be used just to share the internet connection. Security both on the wifi and internet side and simplicity are the main issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

On a related note, what are my chances of getting house-wide wireless from a single AP in a Georgian house with some pretty thick walls? Are any of the standards better for this sort of thing?

My 802.11b setup can penetrate 3 walls before it starts to become unreliable, this being in a house built in the 60s. The AP is hidden underneath my mum's computer so I can get at her adsl line, which probably kills things a bit too. It's possible that if you can get it located somewhere on the middle floor that you can get total coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi Scruff

I setup a wireless network a few weeks ago. I used 802.11b Wireless Cable/DSL Gateway Router (F5D6231) this was about €125 and I also have 2 802.11b Wireless USB Network Adapter (F5D6050u) €59

The Router is in the Kitchen at the back of the house and the 2nd adapter I use it in the box room at the front of the house, the reception is very good.

The router was very easy to setup and they have a free phone number for support.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

My AP is in an extension to the house, which means there's an insulated cavity wall between it and the house. The kitchen has that wall and two internal 4" block walls between it and the AP, and it's at the ragged edge of coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Scruff, i'm in an old georgian house with thick walls too, and one AP covers the house perfectly. I have it centrally positioned on the bottom floor though.

and ssh
    The AP does not advertise itself... someone has to know both its name and 128bit WEP key before standard wireless equipment will be able to even verify its existance.

If you meant standard hardware then you're mistaken, using software like netstumbler you wont be able to detect that AP. However if you use a better sniffer like kismet then it'll pick the AP name out of packets transmitted by the AP or even clients. It'll also crack the WEP keys on the fly given enough packets.

If you ment without downloading a sniffer then fair enough.

Greg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Thanks quozl, that was actually my question about the Georgian house. I'm still a little worried about the centre wall, but I will be able to give it a central position, so I may be able to work it. To be honest, I would be happy with coverage in two rooms, which are above/below each other. This is 802.11b, I presume?

I meant standard drivers + hardware. I didn't know about that piece of software though. Must take a look at it. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Bit of background...
    This network is actually for a local primary school. one of the teachers i know was asking me about what would be involved in setting up a network so all the pc's could have internet access.
    Seeing as the school is autally quite small (4-5 prefabs) i thought that a wireless lan would be a cheaper, less hassle option as i could spec the equipment and set it up for them without having to dig up the school grounds or drill holes in the prefabs and could be up an running on a saturday. While i know prefabs arent any near a thick a ye olde georgian brick, the distance it would have to transmitt would be up to 25-30 meters and penetrate 2 -6 prefab internal and external walls to reach all the computers.
    But it mightnt be a runner if the range and penetration of wireless kit cant handle that. Have no idea what it would cost them to get in a company to install a wire lan.
    :(

On another note was thinking of getting a wireless lan for the gaff as well. Living on 2 floors of an old georgian house as well (odd layout though) and hate the sight of lan cables going all over the shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

do prefabs have foil lining for insulation? I know that some modern houses with thin foil lined walls have problems with getting a decent signal.

I honestly don't know if it'll work for you, my instinct would be no. The best thing to do would be to borrow an access point from someone and use a laptop or pda to do a quick site survey.

Even if it does work, then you'll end up with quite a low bandwidth wireless connection shared between a lot of users so you wont want them to be doing much apart from surfing the internet over it.

A mix of wired inside the prefabs, connected between by wireless might work better, but would be much more expensive.

I can't think of anything remotely as cheap as what you're suggesting that might still do the job, so good luck with it.

Greg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Points to consider:

1) Buy decent hardware, stay away from Linksys, Belkin and other cheap (read ****e) brands. Buy something like Buffalo, Proxim, Apple (airport), Senao. Make sure the AP has an external antenna connector.
    2) Buy an AP and 1 client card first. Setup your AP, stick the card in a lappie with Netstumbler, Kismet or the likes and go walkabout. Note your signal strenght & SNR ratio in various locations.
    3) Watch out for re-inforced concrete and walls with foil backed insulation.
    4) If the signal is OK throughout your fine, if not get yourself an external antenna and conenct that to your AP. That should do the job.

Any other questions just post them here or email them to me....

E.

Advertisement