Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

cheapest car and cheapest insurance - first time

Options
  • 08-10-2003 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a car, new job and all that.

I'm 21 (22 next month) and hold a provisional licence, I don't intend on getting a car until I have a full licence.

I am not covered on any other insurance currently.

I am trying to suss out the cheapest insurance for a 1L car - but they seem to vary from 2500 to 3000.

I was just wondering if anyone could suggest a first-time car and suggest who i might try for insurance. 123.ie seems good, and you do get quotes immediately via email.

I've not really considered cost just yet, so as cheap as possible would be best! I want to fully account for expenditure before I make a real decision.

Any help is most appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 jf_cole

Have you been insured before? and what do you do for a living, what area are you living in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭ciderandhavoc

The day job is Recruitment, I'm a Recruitment Consultant, I've not been insured before and I'm living in Celbridge, Co. Kildare, but working in Dublin 2, but that'll be Dublin 4 soon (thus the enthusiam to start using a car!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 jf_cole

If your getting quotes of €2500 i would take them and run, you should be expecting to pay around €3,000 if its your first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Who did you get the 2,500 quote with? Im 23 - in same position as you - buying my first car before xmas - probably just 1L as well - more than likely a Punto or Corsa. Im going to drive on my provisional coz of the long waiting list for a full licence test so the cheapest quote I got was 3,075 with Quinn Direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by ciderandhavoc
    working in Dublin 2, but that'll be Dublin 4 soon (thus the enthusiam to start using a car!).

Argh from just 1 to 2 buses :(

Mind you the commute by car from Celbridge to D4 would be horrible as well. I take it you start at 9AM. By car I would guess it'll take a min of 90mins and about 2 hours on a bad day...(that is each way)

At least then you can listen to CD / Radio :) and at the weekend it will only take 20mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

If you're diploma/degree qualified try and join an institution for your profession. Like the Insitute of Engineers etc. Most of these organisations have a group insurance scheme which will save you a packet.

Car-wise try and get something with just under 1000cc. There is usually a jump in premium at a 1000cc. I think you can get a 957cc punto.

Also, tell the insurance company that you work right beside where you live. Less time time on the road eqauls less risk.

Finally if you spend alot on your car dont give them the full price. This price can sometimes affect your premium. And if the car is stolen you will still only get the book value of the car at that time(Which is always less than you actually paid for it)

Hope this helps

Oh yeah one last thing. If your parents live down the country. Use their address. Cheaper quotes down there. Less scumbags to nick the car. Its sounds like hearsay but its a fact.

Advertisement