Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help bugler make amends.

• 08-10-2003 1:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭

Hello.

Wow, meh first post in PI, I feel awfully dirty.

Anyway, down to business. I have fallen afoul of my lady acquaintance. She thinks I'm capable of being mean/cruel/aggressive to her (and they're only the words I remember her using). It's partly true, but I felt justified in some of the actions that I did that led her to this conclusion. This was mainly due to what I see as bad manners and insensitivity on her part toward me. Either way, thats not what I'm here to discuss.

I've decided that I'm going to buy her something and apologise, even though we have kind of patched things up, in a lets just be friends way. I'm not sure if I want to be more, but I do want to say sorry. Ok, I'm now especially interested in what the female members of boards have to say...I know she likes roses (even though she isn't very traditional or whathaveyou), specifically pink roses in fact, as I bought her some from one of those street hawkers following a night out last week :)

So I'm thinking buying her a dozen of them. How expensive are they by the way? I know pretty damn expensive..but I'm prepared for that. But I'm also open to suggestions as to what to get/give her. It can't be too romantic, as she's not sure she likes me anymore, but it can't be too un-romantic, lest I be accused of being any of the previously mentioned things.

Fire at will with your ideas.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭BigDaddyKone

buy you and her some tickets for the theatre/opera that kind of thing. Women, love to go out in classy mode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Let me get this straight.

You think she's in the wrong but, you're apologising?

Welcome to the club... in order to charm the female, I recommend, dinner in a classy place (you know what I mean), and umm, maybe a romantic, walk through a chosen beauty spot afterward (no double entendre for that one....).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭bugler

Well, there were acouple of incidents Typey. I'd accept that I was probably wrong in one of them, and over-reacted. The other I still feel that while I might have been a bit tetchy, it was with good cause. Still, she has been through quite a bit lately, and I don't think I have any right to claim to be top of her mind all the time. So I'll probably give a qualified apology, while reiterating that I still believe she was insensitive. It's diplomacy :)

Both your suggestions stretch towards coupleness...which could send her running. The gift needs to be subtle, and probably not involving spending time with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭BigDaddyKone

buy her a facial, although if she is bouler (boweler?) it might send the wrong message

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Get her a pamper voucher for a health spa, a massage, like a day pass there is a pretty nice place that do say passes in eniscorthy a place to relax and take a time out.

http://www.ballycoursey.com/

or one in dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

bugler, I'm not sure if I'm getting this straight
    is she your girlfriend?
    was she your girlfriend?
    was she your girlfriend and you want to just be friends now?
    :confused:

I’m going on the premise that she was your girlfriend but you are just friends now.
    I’m not sure roses will give the correct message, aren’t they usually used as a declaration of love/romance, or is that just me being silly?
    Oh and yes, roses are dead expensive, ring a florist and price them if that’s the route you are taking.

If it were me I’d be going for something neutral, perhaps a hard back novel that she particularly likes (for me that would be lord of the rings for instance)
    It’s thoughtful but neutral enough

Typie if he goes for that dinner you suggested she’ll be thinking next that he’s going to propose! ott for a peace offering in this instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Ronika

here's my suggestion. Has she ever told you that she wanted to go somewhere, do something? Do That!!! Now I know this involves listening to her and trying to remember but that would be the best gift you could give her. I know if anyone wanted to make somethin up to me then id appreciate that more then flowers or some gift thats abit tacky. (Though some white roses would be nice)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

Tesco. Roses. Ten of, ten euro.

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    bugler, I'm not sure if I'm getting this straight
    is she your girlfriend?
    was she your girlfriend?
    was she your girlfriend and you want to just be friends now?
    :confused:

She wasn't, and isn't my girlfriend. I'd probably like her to be, but she isn't really the settling down in any meaning of the phrase type. But you never know she could come around. I don't mind her knowing I like her, as I've told her that fairly baldly. As it is though we've only just scored a few times and I've stayed at her place. I'm confused too, so don't feel bad :P

I still think I'll go with roses..the pink ones, but thanks for your ideas. Keep 'em coming if you have them.

And I can see where you're coming from Ronika, it would be good to show her I actually listen to her. But I'm thinking that me remembering she likes pink roses (despite being quite drunk) might cover that angle a bit. I'll give this some thought over the next day or so and see if she mentioned anything else to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Yellow roses if you are friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Get her eleven yellow roses with a red one in the middle.

Or five and one (it's not being cheap, 12 roses can be overkill to be honest)

It's that whole enigma thing. Friendship with the possibility of more and all that (it'll look unusual, not odd)

Pink roses just look indecisive unless you buy overpriced ones in the middle of the night (which are usually terrible roses at that, mostly bought by ponces out for a quick shag). I like white roses though and I used to have a rose tree that gave hybrid red and yellow roses.

maybe I should start a new thread in the Gardening forum about nice roses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Mmmmnn- roses, dozen of, about €45 to whatever you like from a florist. Theres a place in Bray that does a fabulous bunch of roses for around that price mark.

Does she like Teddy Bears? If she is a friend than thats a less romantic route to take. Make sure its ultra cuddly- check out baby bears in the bear factory in Jervis. Guaranteed to melt frosty exteriors if that flicks her switch.

K-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Billy Turdhed

listen sunshine.... forget the freakin flowers...

whip out the log and tell her this trunks for you...

You'll know then one way or another what the story is

quit bul****tin and act positive

WOT

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Billy Turdhed if you have nothing positive to say relative to the topic, try to restrain yourself from posting anything at all

B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I would suggest that the more personal the show of apology the better. It cannot be something that people that do not know her can tell you unless you speak of her character and her loves and hates.

Sure, flowers are nice and facials and food expeditions but maybe she would cringe at a big bunch of flowers or want to punch your lights out for offering a beauty weekend.

"Ahh, thanks Mum, you got me soap for Christmas, so... nice..."

What does she like? Would she prefer you to buy a set of handcuffs as a show of your submission to her wrath? Or maybe she would like a dozen rose stalks - sure, it would give her a chuckle.

If you really dig her - make it something that she wouldn't expect and that is personal to her, not the ubiquitous sorryflower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Originally posted by Gordon

Sure, flowers are nice and facials and food expeditions but maybe she would cringe at a big bunch of flowers or want to punch your lights out for offering a beauty weekend.

"Ahh, thanks Mum, you got me soap for Christmas, so... nice..."

nope did not say beauty weekend said pamper as in reflexolgy or massage :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Billy Turdhed

Sorry.... very upset about the Packers loss to the Chiefs in overtime...

May have gone over the top...... give her her flowers and surprise her ...do something unpredictable...whatever it is...hope thats positive

W Turdhed:D

Advertisement