Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet connection woes!

• 08-10-2003 5:18pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

hi

im trying to set up an internet connection for my friend on his PC which I just cleaned up and installed a new OS on. But it wont work!!!

ive tried the pc modem and cable in my house and i can create a new account with IOL and connect perfectly, however ive tried EVERYTHING!!! in his house, and it wont work, its not the pc,cable or modem, its something to do with the connection, we tried a 2 into 1 connection with the phone attached, unattached, the modem directly into the wall, turned off wait for tone before dialling, but then i noticed it dials out and just before the sound of the connection setting up starts, it comes back that the line is busy,

I noticed then also that he has eircom call waiting on his house phone, so if u pick up the phone and dont dial any number after about 8 seconds the dial tone stops and a message comes on telling you your messages if any.

I think this is cutting off the connection. Theres an option in telephony settings (WIN 98) where you can disable call waiting but i dont know what code number you put in to disable eircom is, the options there are *70,70# and 1170 i dont think these work.

any suggestions if this is the problem or am i way off????

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Virus_Inc

I would've though that as long as it was dialing before the call waiting crap cuts in it should be fine....

I dunno about ISPs over here but I have seen some elsewhere where you could only dialup from the phonenumber specified in your account details.... just a thought....

Otherwise could be the phoneline itself - ground & metallic noise etc... is the phoneline crackly when you listen to it? I doubt that would come back as line busy though... but I have seen some machines reduced to 9600 baud because of line noise...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

to test his line to see if you can connect to an isp, dial the number for iol (1890 924 042) if you get through most of the dialing (after the 8 seconds) the line should be ok, have a line in work with call waiting, have never had a prob with it for using on a modem.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

i tried the IOL number heres what happens.....
    forgive the implied sound effects :)

it dials the 1892 iol number.....
    beep beep beep beepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeep :)

then it does the usual 2 long connecting beeps

beeeep..... beeeep.....

now normally as you know the connection will crackle and whistle as it connects, instead the modem now clicks off and the message appears saying line is busy, if i now pick up the phone, instead of the internet sounds youd normally hear, i hear my mates call answering message... "Hi this is so and so, please leave your name and number etc..."

I cant figure it out at all.... the same pc and modem and cable work fine in my house. :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

please??? surely someone must know something!!???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

I have had this exact problem !!! it took a week for an eircom engineer came out to my house and showed me this little trick.

the proplem could be the phone cable. You see a telephone cable has 4 wires inside it.

the Irish phone system only uses the 2 inside wires. The two remaining wires ( the ones on the out side) can be causing the problem.

Try cutting the two outside wires and be careful not to snip the inner ones.

If you have a spare cable try it on that. This will not effect the use of the cable for the phone.

but please remember, Im not technical, this is just a trick an eircom engineer showed me ( apperently he gets that a lot) its something to do with the way the modem is made and how it interacts with the little white box in the house...signals or something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Its the call waiting thats causing the problem, try putting #43# before the dial up number to disable it, hardly ever works though. Ring 1901 and get call waiting disabled on the phone line that should do the trick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

I had call waiting ant it worked just fine

Advertisement