Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with DSL modem

• 08-10-2003 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Got dsl all setup and ready to go, dsl sync light is on, autoconfig util has detected all the pertenant details of the network and can send and recieve data when doing so.

Modem is a Efficient Networks Speedstream 3060, have used it much before with no issues at all, it has an IRQ all to itself, no conflicts, modem software is happy enought, confirms hardware, software & dsl layers all ok.

The problem comes when I try to authenticate to actually do something with this setup - it "dials" (for want of a better word) the comes up with a port error which I can't yet figure out how to get past - have tried drivers in various flavours but still the same issues.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

What is the error message you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Virus_Inc

Error 651: The modem (or other connecting device) has reported an error

The only thing I can find in reference to this is unplugging a usb modem while dialing which isn't very helpful :s

I presume that DSL works the same the world over... the modem was produced in canada and was last successfully used when I was in New Zealand...

Was the DSL service in NZ using PPPoE or PPPoA?
    Is there any settings for VPI/VCI?
    There should be a phonebook.ini, take a look in there.

Modem claims to support PPPoE & PPPoA and the diagnostic software correctly identifies the protoco (PPPoE) and VPI/VCI (35/8) as specified in the sheet I got from Netsource...

Last time I used it I installed it and it worked first time... tis being rather intractible this time though :s

What OS are you using?
    Did the modem install it's own dialler, or are you using Windows or a 3rd party dialler to connect?

• Advertisement

W2k - the modem installs 2 network connections and I created a windows dialup connection for it with the usual bits an pieces - dial '0' user/pass, CHAP

Is the modem installed as RFC1483 or a PPP adapter?

In device manager it crops up as 3060 ATM/ADSL adapter & RFC1483 intermediate somethingorother

I admire your persistance dude :) thanks for your continued response :D

Try using RASPPPoE and see if that connects.
    www.raspppoe.com is the link.

Cheers dude, will give that a blat when I get home.

Thanks for your help :d

• Advertisement
Advertisement