Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applications Fail to Load when connected to the Internet

Options
  • 08-10-2003 6:50pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone else had this problem? Basically, as soon as I am connected to the internet, applications, Taskbar, My Computer Properties, Control Panel applications etc etc, all fail to load. If I had the taskbar loaded before hand I can see the applications have been loaded into memory but they don't launch. If I disconnect from the internet, after about 5 minutes everything I had tried to load magically appear. Any help much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Delboy79

What Version of Windows is running ?
    Whilst on the Net, Are you running any online software ?
    How Much Ram is on the Machine ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

OS - XP Pro SP1
    Processor - P4 2.8Ghz HT
    RAM = 1024MB
    Graphics - Abit Siluro FX5600
    Mobo - Abit IC7-G

All I do is connect to the internet. Doesn't matter whether it's a manual connection or through the UTVip Dialler. As soon as I'm on the Net, no application will launch. Then, a couple of minutes after disconnecting from the Net everything I had tried to launch suddenly launch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

Try this: Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Browsing
    Uncheck the Enable 3rd party browser extensions

if it still hangs did you try adaware, spybot, virus check,blaster patch ect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

i had that all i had to do was update windows xp sp1 :f33r:

Originally posted by tlachta
    Try this: Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Browsing
    Uncheck the Enable 3rd party browser extensions

if it still hangs did you try adaware, spybot, virus check,blaster patch ect

This problem has nothing to do with Internet Explorer. It's when I'm connected to the internet. Nothing loads. Not IE, not the Taskbar, Nothing!!!! I've done all the virus checking, I've run all sorts of tools to find the problem and I'm using the most up to date XP SP1. It's bloody frustrating at this stage and it's getting closer to the stage where I'm gonna have to re-install :mad:

• Advertisement

I finally figured out what was causing the problem. It was XP Update KB817778 that installs IPv6 support, so if anyone is having similar problems you know what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

good to know,glad you got it sorted lfc

i remeber reading a post once saying that the blaster virus was lesson for people to keep their software up to date, looks like thats not so true, if it ain't broke............

Advertisement