Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security XP / 2K Aggghhh!

• 08-10-2003 8:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭

Story la....

I've recently set up a new pc and loaded it with windows 2k, i put my old hard drive(XP) onto the new one(2K) to copy over all my files but my stuff is saved in folders that i can't get into because i'm not logged on!

so i booted off my old hard drive and seemingly XP has some error and won't boot....it gets to the loading windows screen then hangs. I've tried repairing it, going through safe mode everything....is there anyway i can get my stuff across?

I even re-installed xp on a different partition on the drive and logged on as the administrator but i still can't get into the folder with my stuff.

cheers

Farlz

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Delboy79

The Folders seem to be stored in various profiles under the original version of Windows . What error are you getting when you try to Boot Up XP Professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

Xp won't boot on a different motherboard (do you legally on XP?)

you might be able to acces the drives from 2k by right clicking on them going to properties and the security tab, and check the allow boxes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I'll try the security tab, never thought of that! All else fails i'll put the old motherboard in again and move them into an open folder, feckin profiles eh?....and im the only one that uses the computer!

cheers

Farlz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Not getting an error as such, just goes to the windows loading screen then hangs forever!

Farlz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

what are you saying in your last post, is xp still not booting, or had 2k developed a problem after you changed the security preferences, if the latter i accept no responsibility.... lol

guess your XP installation installation tried to set itself up to boot on your new main board, but gave up half way, now it won't boot on you old board because its loading some drivers for the new board, well to be honest that a complete guess but sounds good so....

System Restore

em maybe someone else can post how to system restore on a pc that won't boot, i'm not sure how, probably done by pressing F8 at bootup

p.s. i am sure that security tab thing will unlock the files for you as long as you are logged in 2k as admin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

apart from setting the permissions it allows allows one to 'Take Ownership'of the XP drive to get the permissions right from 2ks point of view.

while you can now fully see the drive you will never boot that XP install again.

M

Advertisement