Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kirkland or Dudek

• 08-10-2003 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭

Looking at the thread about the best keeper in the prem I noticed Dudek getting a good few votes. With Kirkland back in the reserves this week will Dudek be holding onto his place or will Gh make Kirkland his No 1 again?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Both keepers are on thier day world class. Dudek knows after last season that he has to keep sharp otherwise Kirklands back between the sticks. As for who I'd prefere to see, it does'nt matter I rate both.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

They're both flawed. Dudek is prone to lapses in concentration / confidence, call it what you will. Kirkland is very injury prone - I think he's had several since arriving.

Both are excellent keepers when playing their best, there's a few years left in Dudek and hopefully we can keep them both happy until Kirkland matures enough physically to be less injury prone.

Btw, does anyone know much about the third keeper? Luzi or whatever his name is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

Kirkland looked great til his injury but Dudek isn't playing too badly either imo, id say he will leave things as they are there especially if it would be a change for the good:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Both keepers were fit at the start of the season and GH went with Dudek, so I'd say as long as Dudek keeps sharp/injury free Kirkland will be on the bench.

As for Kirkland or Dudek, either one for me. Both are well capable, I'd have equal confidence in both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

it's consistency of form not capability that gets to me. while dudek is fine at the mo he is prone to losing his form and kirkland won't stay too sharp while on the bench or could even jump ship if left neglected there too long (would he??)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

kirkland won't stay too sharp while on the bench or could even jump ship if left neglected there too long (would he??)

I would imagine with Seamans term as England NO1 at an end and the position open for someone to make their own Kirkland will be far from happy if he is left on the bench. I can see one of them moving on and IMHO its more likely to be Dudek to be dropped. Some stats on them both may show some interesting
    comparisons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Kirkland is bound to have England ambitions being the U-21 keeper but I think James will be there for a year or two yet.

That said he will have to move if he does'nt become the No1 stopper in the next 2 years.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Kirkland is bound to have England ambitions being the U-21 keeper but I think James will be there for a year or two yet.

I admire your optimism Mike. Can you really see Calamity James go 2 years without dropping a major clanger. Playing in Div 1 will not do his claim any good either. I reckon the spot is up for grabs now and once someone makes it their own like Seaman and shilton did in the past they are hard to shift.

Calamity James is an excellent keeper, he was England B keeper before getting to Liverpool and his career seems to be back on track now that he has left. Liverpool has been a poor place for goalkeepers over the last few years but hopefully things are improving with the current crop.

James is playing 1st Division football and if Kirkland was playing regular premiership football he would definitely be knocking on Englands door. With the European Cup next Summer it could be a big factor for him, getting first team football.

I don't see him leaving however, a) he's bound to be on a long term contract and b) while he is still injury prone it should be an easy job to convince him that his long term interests are best served by staying at Liverpool.

What Liverpool desperately need is a new goalkeeping coach. That fat guy (whose name escapes me at the moment) couldn't jump to save his life and he is generally blamed when we do have goalkeeping problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Originally posted by p.pete
    What Liverpool desperately need is a new goalkeeping coach. That fat guy (whose name escapes me at the moment) couldn't jump to save his life and he is generally blamed when we do have goalkeeping problems.

Joe Corrigan

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Johnny_the_fox
    Joe Corrigan
    Yeah, that's the one, Dave Beasant would be an improvement...

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

Calamity James a excellent keeper..cmon good shot stopper but hardly excellent.With luck he'll go to Man U for a few months just to totally shatter his confidence. LFC really lucky to have 2 great keepers atm though pity we cant play em both(Henchoz dives around enough to be our 3rd string too)

Advertisement