Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating VCDs for playback on DVD player

Options
  • 08-10-2003 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

I have burnt more than enough coasters at this stage and regardless of how cheap CDRs are nowadays I'm tiring of it. I have used various programs including Nero 6 and nothing I have created will play on my DVD player downstairs, a Black Diamond BD24DVD which claims to be able to play VCDs (inc. version 2.0 whatever that is)
    Can anybody please confirm for me what the file structure on a VCD should be and whether it is any different to SVCD. Some programs just convert the file to MPEG and burn it, Nero 6 fecks about with the whole show and burns the CD with folders, CDI, EXT, MPEGAV, PICTURES, SEGMENT, and VCD.
    When placed in the player any disc I have made causes the player to display the "Load" screen and whirr away regardless of any buttons pressed, except of course the power switch which is the only way to get it's attention.
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭MartinHSabag

First of all SVCD is different than VCD and not every DVD player supports that.
    According to here ypur player seems to support both VCD and SVCD.

Check this website for anything you want regarding what is VCD/SVCD and there are also guides on "how to".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

if its dvd you are concerned with, buy a dvd burner off komplett for 170 odd euro and get a copy of dvdXcopy and away you go, perfect dvd copies - blanks around 2 euro odd

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

As MartinHSabag has said go to DVDRHelp for all the info you will need to burn a VCD.

Some basic info before you burn your video file make sure it is an Mpeg1. Also dont use Nero - it's crap for making VCD's - use VCD easy (free demo availible). A guide on how to use it can be found here.

You can find a full guide on how to make a VCD from an AVI/DivX ect here.

Once you master the VCd creation take a look at this guide. Ignore the CladXP bit at the start. Basically it tells you how to setup TMPGEnc (program that encodes AVI/DivX to Mpeg2) such that the output mpeg1 file is exactly the size of you CDr.

If you need any other info post back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

One other thing, rather than wasting more discs can I use CD/RWs for VCDs? Is the player likely to have any trouble with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭MartinHSabag

some do some don't, you'll have to try...
    Go to the first link I gave you, it says there what types of CDRs it reads as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

As Martin said try it out. Tis great if it works so your not making coasters all the time.

Advertisement