Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win2k Pro Probs

Options
  • 09-10-2003 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭

Right I'm having a few problems with Win2k, I just installed it.
    Now I know most games suck more that usual under Win2k, but there might be fixes I don't know about.

I managed to fix the refresh rate problems, but now my problems seem to be centred round quakeworld.

First of all my mouse and keyboard lag like a mofo. I press and button and a few ms later it responds, and I seem to have probs with using mouse and keyboard at the same time.
    This can be fixed by upping the mouse and keyboard drivers priority (type32 and point32), but I want to know if anyone knows any other fixes for this.

Now the most annoying problem is the fps problems in Quakeworld.

It seems to bottom out some times (generally dropping 5 or 6 fps, but sometimes it might suddenly drop to 20 fps!

It's definatly and Win2k prob, because when I boot in 98 its grand.

I heard about some timing issues in Win2k, which mess up fps, but does anyone know how I can remedy this problem!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Are you running SP4?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Yes have SP4 and all the latest updates from WinUpdate.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You'll have to provide more details about your hardware. Without additional info, a quick guess would be, presuming all hardware is the same as before under '98, that your memory is low. W2K takes up a lot more, also heavier on the CPU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

Specs???

if your running an AMD system, make sure you install the VIA drivers from here

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2

looks like the broke the drivers up into 4 different files, thats kinda crap -dam them.

i have played Quake 2,3 unreal ect on 2k with out a problem, some games can be dark is the usual complaint

AMD XP 2500+ Barton
    512 (2 x 256) 2700 ram in Dual config.
    Nf7-M motherboard, Onboard GF4 mx440.

Having no perfromance problems, CPU usage is about 10% with a few programs open, ram is about 30%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

buy a graphics card dude, i'll give ya a geforce fx 5200 128 mb 4 25 euro, pm if interested

That wouldn't be an upgrade, anyway this is just my base system, I'm adding a Radeon 9800 soon, but it's not the GFX card thats the problem, it's just Win2k.
    I'd rather not have to go into 98 anytime I want to play Quakeworld.

But if you live near Dub, I could arrange a buyer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Originally posted by bananayoghurt
    buy a graphics card dude, i'll give ya a geforce fx 5200 128 mb 4 25 euro, pm if interested

25 euro?

i'll take it.

Advertisement