Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best RPG's on consols

• 09-10-2003 8:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭

Well seing as HL2 is not coming out until next year, I am thinking of, at last getting a consol (yes I am a casual game). So which console has the best RPG's ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

PlayStation 2, by a mile - but you need to get it chipped so you can play US games. The Xbox has Knights of the Old Republic (also available on PC shortly), the GameCube has Skies of Arcadia Legends (excellent) and Zelda: Wind Waker (also excellent).

The PS2, however, has Final Fantasy X, Xenosaga, Suikoden III, Shadow Hearts, Wild Arms 3, .hack (all four volumes), Disgaea, Grandia II... Not to mention PSone classics like Final Fantasy VII - IX, which you presumably haven't played, Xenogears, Chrono Cross, Grandia, Vagrant Story, Star Ocean...

Only problem, as I said, is that you'll need a chipped machine, since games companies in Europe are a bit retarded and refuse to release most of these games here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Are the hack games available in Europe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

Thanks for the advice :x

I have a PS1 and Suikoden 1 and 2 are my favourite games on that platform.

So why dont companies release their games in the UK and Ireland if they have english versions of them anyway ( do they release them in Oz ? )

I will look into getting a chipped PS2 this weekend I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

if u hav an Xbox get Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic... it ROCKS! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

The xbox will soon have Sudeki and Fable. Two promising upcoming rpgs.
    KOTOR is brilliant.

• Advertisement

Sudeki looks okay, although nothing particularly special. Nice graphics though. Fable... Well, nobody's really played it or seen it being played properly, so impossible to say.

KOTOR is a love it or hate it - personally I can't stand it, but fans of Bioware western style RPGs still seem to love it.

Fact still remains that the Xbox trails a distant third in terms of decent RPGs - fourth, if you count the GBA SP (which has some great RPGs on it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

The xbox is a western console. Its great for western games but you kinda miss the magic and weirdness the japs can add.

I'd recommend a cube before a ps2 especially with the price cut coming. their is some good rpg's on it and there is a new final fantasy one on its way to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I'd recommend a chipped PS2 for RPG's. The cube has a few great rpgs but the sheer quantity and quality on PS2 makes it the better console for rpgs especially if you look at the great back catalogue of PS1 games. I've so many rpgs on the sony format that I haven't even got round to playing half of them.

I know your a big Suikoden fan so I'd definitely go for the PS2. Suikoden 3 is a great game but isn't up to the standards of the first 2. Suikoden 4 has been announced and it looks great. Lets hope it's another Suikoden 2 (which has been promoted to my favourite game ever).

Thats if he doesn't wanna get it chipped or can't find someone reliable. The problem with saying ps1 rpg's is that there are no decent stockers of ps1 games anymore.

He'd have to search the net for those rpgs. Gameplay.com is still good for ps1 games. they had ff7 in stock a little while ago. Dunno know about now though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I suppose your right. PS1 rpgs are hard to track down and usually cost ridiculous prices. Just look at the prices for suikoden 2 and xenogears on ebay. However if you have the patience and money theres a lot of classics waiting to be discovered. However even just taking the more recent rpgs into account I still think the PS2 wins hands down.

I finished FFVII again yesterday and 10 minutes later skies of arcadia arrives in the post :D It's all good :cool:

• Advertisement

I was thinking of buying skies of arcadia. play.com is outta stock but game.uk.com has it.

I ordered ikaruga of gameplay.com and it takes then 2 weeks just to post the order. so three weeks to get the game. I'll think i'll pay the extra £5 and buy it off game.uk.com unless you know somewhere better.

I was thinking of buying skies of arcadia.

Do. It's bloody brilliant. I'm having difficulty not wetting myself at the prospect of the second one.

Thanks shinji,

I will!! Need to finish some games first. Its next on my to buy list. A friend was telling me he had it for the DC but the GC version has some of text removed or something.

Do you know what he is on about??

Actually, the Cube version has a load of extra stuff in it - new optional quests, a whole bunch of new optional bosses and so on. It's a big improvement - there's now usually a lot of stuff to do at any given time, rather than just following the plot rigidly.

They've also toned down the random encounter rate, which was one of the most annoying things about the DC version - you couldn't walk three feet without hitting a random encounter. It's still a fairly high rate but it's much, much more palatable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

So, it looks like a chipped PS2 is the way to go.

This brings up a couple of interesting questions though:-

does that mean I require a TV capable of displaying US signals. NSCT or what ever it is

and will small retail outlets sell chipped PS2's ? are they legal for that matter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

I being a big fan of the Bioware western RPG's would definitely advise you to go for the x-box.

With KOTOR already out and I thought it was brilliant you're immediately on a winner. Also as was said earlier Fable and Sudeki are coming out but the one that has me salivating is Biowares next project, Jade Empire. An RPG set in mythical China. If their past efforts are anything to go by it will be class.

Then theres Deus Ex 2, and Half Life 2 which it was recently announced wouldn't be released on either the PS2 or the GC.

If your tv can display 60hz mode on games then it will be okay with american games. All recent tvs support 60hz mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

most pal tvs made in the last 10 years will support a 60hz signal but most will not display ntsc colour signals in colour. to get around this problem i purchsed this yoke. it green screens your dvds but dvd region x cures that and franky its a small price to pay to allow ntsc games on your tv.

Advertisement