Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New computer and i want to clock??

Options
  • 09-10-2003 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭

Just got a barton 2500 chip with a abit nf7-s v2.o mobo and i want to clock it. I was clocking it last night and i was wondering can i do damage to my video card and hard drive by overclocking ?
    In the bios the agp is set to 66mhz is that right ?
    What do i need to do so i cant damage them ?

I clocked the chip to 185fsb by 12 giving me 2220mhz. But when i was booting in i noticed that my ram speed was running at 245mhz and not the normal 266 so i set all the clocking back to default. Im just useing stock cooling and the hottest the chip got has been about 47c so far its norm temp is about 37 to 40 on idel.

I have 512mb of pc2100 is it worth my while to get pc3200 for about 100euro ?

I want to clock the computer but i want to be safe and not damage anything so thats why im asking here.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

If your mobo has an option to fix AGP/PCI at 66/33 then use it. Once your AGP/PCI is fixed, there's no risk of damaging other devices incl gfx card.

I don't know your default fsb but I'm guessing it's 133 ?
    If so, then your default divider was 1:1 (133/133) which would run your RAM at 266 (2x133).

I'm just guessing from the math, but it seems when you raised your fsb to 185, your BIOS changed the divider to 3:2 which is roughly 185:123 so RAM would be 246 (2x122). That corresponds with the results you're getting.

To maintain 1:1 (AMD needs synchronous ram for best performance) you will need faster ram. 185:185 would be 370 so DDR400 (PC3200) would be your best bet as you have room to push your fsb to 200 if you can :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Thanks for all that info Sir Random Tis most helpfull.

Advertisement