Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CD Copy Protection circumvented

• 09-10-2003 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭

From Wired.com
    A Princeton graduate student said Monday that he has figured out a way to defeat new software intended to keep music CDs from being copied on a computer: Press the Shift key.

In a paper posted on his website late Monday, John Halderman said the MediaMax CD3 software developed by SunnComm Technologies could be defeated on computers running the Windows operating system by holding down the Shift key, disabling a Windows feature that automatically launches the encryption software on the disc.

oh the mockery!! ;)
    All that money ... and for this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Originally posted by Lemming
    From Wired.com

oh the mockery!! ;)
    All that money ... and for this

They be scrapping egg of their faces for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

yeah, I read that yesterday ...tis gas, what passes for security is laughable ... but no doubt it will catch some people, disgusting DRM ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

All we need is a way to do this in Linux.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

Originally posted by sjones
    All we need is a way to do this in Linux.

Computers running Linux and older versions of the Mac operating system are unable to run the software and are able to copy the disc freely, he said.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

If i remember correctly from my Windows days, can you not call up CTRL-ALT-DELETE on Win 98 or the Task Manager on Windows NT and terminate any application you want?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

And now, you guessed it, SunnComm Technologies are tying to sue the guy

Story here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

Originally posted by MrPinK
    And now, you guessed it, SunnComm Technologies are tying to sue the guy

Story here

Disgraceful.
    I'd say they're trying to cost him more money than he can spend to defend himself legally. Hope everyone rallies behind him and pledges to cover whatever funding he may require to finance his defence.
    I reckon it's just the company lashing out - sure to bring more bad publicity to themselves, silly buggers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭eoinm1

Hi

I am running Win 98 with an old 2 speed HP cd rw and all i do is select the first cd session.

This works for me

Eóin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

iirc holding shift won't work in xp, that has something to do with "sticky keys" instead.
    i guess disabling autoplay would have the same effect:rolleyes:
    or putting in the cd while the pc is booting
    how the fup are they going to sue someone for finding such an easy way around it???
    i could've found that ffs

Advertisement