Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insuring an english car

Options
  • 09-10-2003 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Any help appreciated:

My brother lives in England and owns a Nissan Skyline GTS-T. He is about to go travelling for a year and does not want to sell the car. He wants to know if I will look after it for the year. If I agree to it, i I intend to sell my own car and use his. Is there any way I can drive his car over here without having to register it as an Irish car?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

None - you will even have to pay the VRT the day it comes into the country so its pretty much not worth it.
    Furthermore, many companies will not insure you if you are not the registered owner.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Mmm, it would be nice to drive around in a Skyline for a year all the same! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I think you may drive it for 6 months as a foreign national, thereafter you HAVE to register the car in Ireland. Sucks.

if you plan on driving it for more than a day or so without paying VRT then you have to prove that you have spent most of the last year living outside of the Republic. This will require day to day bank statements etc. It is not easy (my wife from NI couldn't pass the f**kers requirements on her car 3 years ago and had to pay IR£1000 on a Pug 106)
    www.revenue.ie/faqs/car.htm
    www.revenue.ie/publications/leaflets/infolef7.htm#vrt
    & most importantly
    www.revenue.ie/services/vrt/vrt2.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 jf_cole

Then there is Insurance, the company i work with will insure it for up to 30days when we then need an irish reg number.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭IrishPug106GTi

Thanks. It looks like I may have to VRT it as my own car. He was thinking of selling it to me on the cheap. I checked with the revenue and the VRT is €3760 for a 97' Skyline GTS Turbo. The car is immaculate and only has 26,000 miles on the clock. I may look into buying it off him altogether. Must check with my insurance company.

insurance on a skyline?
    just think of a four digit number, double it, add 12, divide by 0.3 and add 1.75 and you have it (don't forget the Government 1% levy also) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by kbannon
    insurance on a skyline?
    just think of a four digit number, double it, add 12, divide by 0.3 and add 1.75 and you have it (don't forget the Government 1% levy also) :D

LOL

That's about right - formula gives a quote of between €6,776 and €67,369

You working in the insurance industry? It sure seems their calcalutions are done like above. Got online quotes from one company a year or so ago and the quote was the same for a 7 yr old BMW 525 and a 7 yr old Rolls Royce, both fully comprehensive :confused:

Im not involved in the industry but I think I managed to solve their quotation algorithim based on being ripped off so many times.
    The funniest thing I have noticed is that it is usually cheaper for me to get fully comp over TPF&T :confused:.
    I was also offered a similar quote on my 2L BMW as I was on my old Mk III fiesta, whereas when I was deciding which BMW to buy it was cheaper for me to insure a 1994 318iS which is more powerful & expensive than my '89 320i, for a lower quote - I suspect that their decision was based purely on engine size :confused:

Advertisement