Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV problems

Options
  • 09-10-2003 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed that there quality of the UTV Xl product has degraded over the last few months.

Now it refuses to connect 80% of the time, is fraught with disconnections, and the Dialer seems to only work when it feels like it.

The pings are still as shocking as ever.

On another note, is it possible to keep the UTV Telephoney but move to IOL for internet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Yes the sevice has been really bad in the past few weeks for me. If you have been with UTV for over 3months you can leave them and yes you can keep the telephone service.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

For the sake of balance: I get connected promptly almost every time, the rollover works when required, and I don't care about pings.

I'm still happy.

Before moving to another ISP, I'd be very careful to check that they're actually better - especially if it means getting tied into a 12-month contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Exactly the same problems here. UTVxl have not resolved the problems that ISDN users have with their Dialler. For one it won’t Rollover to the Rollover Number at all. And it has now become normal for me to try in excess of 80 times to try connecting to
    UTVxl. And when I do get connected it is like being on a 56k Modem. When you try ring their support number it seems you have to wait forever to get on to a Tech guy. Ping times for games are still terrible. Downloading files has become laughable at the speeds UTVxl are providing, both on ISDN and even BB according to some posts here and in UTV newsgroups. I have tried on several occasions to convince people to Convert over to UTVxl but as soon as they see it takes me 80 or more time to even connect to them now they just laugh. I have been a Loyal Supporter to UTV from the first day they arrived here. But I have to say I am not willing to put up with their service for much longer. They are getting too much like Eircon now, full of promises that they are not willing to comply with. And a support service that is always engaged due to the terrible service they know they are supplying. I know this wont apply to everyone. It’s just my 2c worth ok.

OHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I know some people are having hassle but again I must say that I get on 1st time most of the time and if not the rollover works perfectly. My download speeds are consistantly in the 50s.

At work on ISDN i haven't had connection problems either, though the engaged tone is usually outside working hours. When it is engaged at work I have noticed that if I dial in without the dialer and it is engaged I switch to the dialer and connect immediately. This might be a total co-incidence though.

I agree about support, the delays are getting very long. (I have been on to them a bit recently about my migration to Clicksilver).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Valentia
    I agree about support, the delays are getting very long. (I have been on to them a bit recently about my migration to Clicksilver).
    damn right, my webspace wasn't working from the start.
    i sent an email to support about it on the 20th of august... they finally sorted it out yesterday:rolleyes:

i've had very few problems bar my webspace, the connection grinds to a halt every now & again. the random disconnects seem to have more or less stopped now (i could barely stay online for an hour for the first few weeks)
    i'm happy enough with it now that i've been on for over 3 months, no plans to change to iol/eircon...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I had problems last week, but I didn't bother with trying to dial in too many times, I just flipped over to the "free" UTV connection. It'll cost me, but I don't have time for farting about. This week is much better. Plus I found the alternate number posted on the board and filled it into DUN manually, so that should cover me in future.

I agree on the dialler, it's borked and they know it and it should have been fixed long ago. I'd also agree on support, I've gone a whole week now without so much as a (real person) acknowledgement. I've come to expect better from UTV.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭niallb

I've very few problems with UTV either.
    At heavy times it might take a few attempts to connect,
    never more than 7 or 8 (and at ISDN connection attempt speeds, you'd hardly notice.)
    Consistently needing 80 attempts sounds like a problem somewhere.
    What exchange are you on? Is it a busy one.

The only two times I had consistent problems was a few weeks ago when Eircorn seem to have messed up the 1893 numbers.
    (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=1112597#post1112597)

I don't use the dialer as I use linux, but the responses in this thread allowed me
    set up my ISDN connection to fail over to the same number that the dialer is meant to.
    Since then, I haven't had any problems at all with connections.

NiallB

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Very few connect problems for me but download speeds have dropped to ISDN levels. Upload speeds haven't changed. I don't mind too much except when some webpages (mostly US ones) keep requiring me to refresh.

Oh wait, you're not talking about Clicksilver.. oops

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Same here amp, I moaned about it on the newsgroup but nothing seems to have been done.

If you use the multiple segment download thinger in getright it speeds up alot, up to around 45-50k/s... but we shouldn't fecking have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Yes the dialer refuses to roll over for me, ISDN has become a joke now.

130 pings to local servers when I should be getting 28!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Pie,amp,

If Pie can get 400 to 500 with a download agent it suggests that the problem is not with UTV. If you are into tinkering with your settings have a look here.

Even if you are not it has a lot of interesting info on why connections stall or slow down.

Advertisement