Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best public transport system in the world - compulsory reading!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Floater
    The network it bought (S-routes on map):http://www.vbz.ch/fahrplan/plan/pic/gmit2154.gif
    Someone had fun drawing that :D

I presume black lines (S-bahn) are conventional trains and the red dotted line is the Canton boundary.

Compared to: http://www.irishrail.ie/dart/your_journey/maps_and_zones.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Floater

Originally posted by Victor
    Someone had fun drawing that :D

I'm sure they did. There is probably a standard software package or two on the market for drawing network maps for pub trans organizations. Everyone manages to come up with a map at each bus stop, metro station etc that paints an integrated picture of the entire network. Except you know who. Wish CIE bought a copy!

Floater

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

I had the pleasure of using that system recently.

On my way from Chur to Zurich airport, with a change in the haupbahnhof (main train station).

When the conductor checked my ticket he made a comment in Swiss German to me which I didn't understand. On seeing my blank look he immediately switched into English and suggested I change train in the town before Zurich as I could then catch a direct train to the airport a lot more easily - actually one of those cool double deckers.

Swiss - efficient, clever, friendly. Sods really!:D

Originally posted by Borzoi
    I had the pleasure of using that system recently.

On my way from Chur to Zurich airport, with a change in the haupbahnhof (main train station).

When the conductor checked my ticket he made a comment in Swiss German to me which I didn't understand. On seeing my blank look he immediately switched into English and suggested I change train in the town before Zurich as I could then catch a direct train to the airport a lot more easily - actually one of those cool double deckers.

Swiss - efficient, clever, friendly. Sods really!:D

Even if one speaks German, Zurich lingo is very different...!

On most routes you can get a train from any town to Zurich (or Geneva) airport without changing at Hauptbahnhof as you probably know.

You can even check in your baggage for your flight at the station you start your journey, and they give your your airline seat assignment and boarding pass. When you get off the train, you have no heavy baggage to worry about and can walk straight to the gate.

Would anyone bother going to work or school, the airport or anywhere else in a car if they could travel in such smooth fast comfort?

A metro system is a dinosaur by comparison.

Floater

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

It isn't just the Zurich suburban system which is good, its the whole country.

My personal favourite bit is the Regular Interval Timetable, 99%* of trains run at the same time every hour. This includes the many trains to/from areas with rather low pupulation densities.

Jeremiah

* = some small exceptions mainly due to track capacity issues such as Luzern-Geneva via Langnau.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by embraer170
    * = some small exceptions mainly due to track capacity issues such as Luzern-Geneva via Langnau.
    You won't have to worry about that when the new 300kph TGV line is built between Geneva and Zurich! :D

Floater

Advertisement