Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi webcam security solutions, please

Options
  • 09-10-2003 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

I am a wheelchair-user who has now been burgled between 430 and 630am a total of 6 times.I have broadband, a d-link router and a powerful pc which can also be a PVR,as its got a tv card.
    For obvious reasons, I now take this personally. I want to find out how to put togethr a couple of cheap WiFi webcams, with PIRs, in order to be able to record images of anyone approaching my door between midnight and 7am.being motion-activated, should be nothing to review, unless someone is casing my place.
    I'm not a techie, but do have a brain.
    Can any of you guys help, please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

WiFi I can't comment on.

I did set up a motion detector once, with a 20 quid webcam and Linux.

I used a proggie called motion.

Basically, if enough pixels change from a user definable interval, motion can take a jpeg, take a series of jpegs, begin a specified interval of video recording, and so on.

You can even tell it to sms you, if it detects motion.
    Which is cool.

So long as your camera is supported in the Video4Linux infrastructure, this should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭schrodinger

You could setup a cron job in Linux aswell to upload or email the cam images just incase the computer is destroyed or stolen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Floater

What about the Nokia Observation Camera?

http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,4654,00.html

This is supposed to keep one alerted via pics to one's mobile phone.

Sony also have a few IP camera products for security monitoring over the internet.

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Professional/markets/security/ipdemo.html

Floater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭wheels of ire

wheels of Ire thanks you all for your replies. I had been thinking of building a WLAN for the small community I live in, using the Pringles-can method, I once got a lot of info from a site found following links startig from o'reiily.com, but accidetally deleted it. He had made a cheap WiFi webcam system.

Of course, all the info gathered for this project, previously way down my To Do list also seems to have vanished.
    I have no idea(sorry) what cron is, and know little about linux.Remember I'm not a techie!
    The sonys look interesting, but suspect they fall a little way outside my definition of cheap, will price them. Thanks again.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I have a logitech webcam that came with software that will start recording if it senses movement ... connected by USB to my windows xp PC... you should be able to do the same with those ethernet cameras ... its not the camera doing the analysing, its the software ....

Of course if you are ony a few meters away from the place you want to monitor you could go for the usb webcam whicj is cheaper as far as i know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

im selling one of them

the logitech pro cam 3000

i'll give ya a good price, pm me if you want it!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement