Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Halo out tomorrow...

• 09-10-2003 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭

right its out tomorrow isn't it? well what're the chances of it being in the galway branch of gamesworld? i would pick it up in kilkenny but they never have anything vaguely new there....

if anyone has asked them or anything, cuz if it is ill get someone to pick it up there for me...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by Spike
    right its out tomorrow isn't it? well what're the chances of it being in the galway branch of gamesworld? i would pick it up in kilkenny but they never have anything vaguely new there....

if anyone has asked them or anything, cuz if it is ill get someone to pick it up there for me...

I saw it yesterday in Harvey Normans in Dundalk and Game in Newry, so its out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

if you talking about Halo on the PC, its been out for the last week, gamesworld here in waterord has it so i presume your local will to

Regards

Shin

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

Anyone know who has it cheapest. Everyone seems to be sticking it out at 49.99, even Smyths, whi usually undercut Game.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Just after buying Halo a few hours ago, being looking forward to this for soooo long, expected it to run it at a real nice resolution and high detail, however my hopes are dashed, Installed Halo on my 2.4ghz Dell with geforce 4, 4600ti and 1 gig of ram and the game is crawling at awfull framerates, the graphics look very jagged with no antialising, and the character models looks fuppin dire... they look all fuzzy and lumpy? Ok I can get over the rotten character models but the performance of the game on my still fairly powerfull system is a msystery to me.... it sez minimum requirements 700mhz on the box..... i gota 2.4ghz and its ropey to say the least, ive cranked it down to 800x600 and its still not totally smooth. I have all the latest nvidia drivers and direct X9 so my pc aint an issue here, like I play GTA vice city at 1248x1024 with highest detail and its as smooth as anything and looks jaw dropping. Halo should run amazingly on anything over 1.6ghz really since it was built for a 700mhz Xbox with 64mb system memory! I can imagine alot of angry pc owners with lower end machines giving this back to the shops;/ I would say now if your planning to play Halo on your PC dont buy it unless you got at least a 2.5ghz pc with a gig of ram and best graphics card around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Spike

Smyth's, headford Road Retail park (beside the cinema).

Don't go near that Gamesworld place. Meagre selection of PC games as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Gonzo
    Just after buying Halo a few hours ago, being looking forward to this for soooo long, expected it to run it at a real nice resolution and high detail, however my hopes are dashed, Installed Halo on my 2.4ghz Dell with geforce 4, 4600ti and 1 gig of ram and the game is crawling at awfull framerates, the graphics look very jagged with no antialising, and the character models looks fuppin dire... they look all fuzzy and lumpy? Ok I can get over the rotten character models but the performance of the game on my still fairly powerfull system is a msystery to me.... it sez minimum requirements 700mhz on the box..... i gota 2.4ghz and its ropey to say the least, ive cranked it down to 800x600 and its still not totally smooth. I have all the latest nvidia drivers and direct X9 so my pc aint an issue here, like I play GTA vice city at 1248x1024 with highest detail and its as smooth as anything and looks jaw dropping. Halo should run amazingly on anything over 1.6ghz really since it was built for a 700mhz Xbox with 64mb system memory! I can imagine alot of angry pc owners with lower end machines giving this back to the shops;/ I would say now if your planning to play Halo on your PC dont buy it unless you got at least a 2.5ghz pc with a gig of ram and best graphics card around.

That's a bit....wierd.
    {edit}
    I played it for a bit on Asok's machine, ran perfectly, even if the image quality was a bit poor (LOD Bias, filtering), but the game is ~1 year old.

You using XP Home by any chance? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Hmmz sommet wrong with your pc there m8 or sommet cos i got a 1.8 athlon with 512mg and a 9700pro and i only get slowdown when theres a **** load happening on screen. (high res and settings.)

Try running it at a lower resolution. Maybes its a gfx card issue but i doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

err
    if i recall correctly you have to patch it.
    there are a few bad glitches from it being a port.

not sure though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

the performance issue isn't surprising given the gash job gearbox did with nightfire...
    even so, crap frame rates at 800x600 on a ti4600 is ****ing shocking.

not sure what the patch does, could be worth a try...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Just picked it up, will be interesting to see how well it performs.

:f33r:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

was downloading some linux iso`s and grabbed ftl-halo.bin by mistake.

Such a dissappointing port.
    not worth monies at all

Theres no retard in team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Originally posted by bazH

Theres no retard in team

Pork Chop Sandwiches... ;)

I have it and it runs fine for me on an xp2000+ with a gf4ti4200. Only time it has performed awfully would be in multiplayer when there is a lod of action happening on the screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

i have a 2.4ghz @ 3.2Ghz with a gig of DDR, but i only have a Creative GF3 64Mb Ti200, (waiting for HL2 to buy a new card)
    Do you think it will struggle with that card?, i have the latest drivers etc, but its a fairly old card?

Sean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

i read on the other thread that you had to put the settings in the display options -> settings -> advanced settings -> [whichever tab] to high quality settings to get good picture quality...well ill download the patch and when i get around to playing it i'll see how it runs on my machine : athlon xp 2600+, 768mb ram and a ati radeon 9700 pro 128mb....fingers crossed should play well. as for prices. in gamesworld in galway it costs 59.99 but you get a free t-shirt with it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yeah my operating system is XP Home, my pc also runs all the other new games at much higher resolutions and look alot more demanding than Halo and they run fast as they shud do. I got my game of Halo running faster now from the latest patch and editing the command line to remove pixel shaders 2.0 down to 1.1, i now have the game at 1024x768 but it can still get very slugish when im fighting more than 3 enemies, lets hope a few more patches with performance improvements comes out soon.

ive finally got halo running at a decent frame rate now by disabling 'specular' in the video settings (this gave me a massive boost), it puts a shiny surface on everything like snow, walls etc and looked a bit poo imo... looks more reaslistic with specular off.... also turned vsync off gave me another booast.... i now get between 30 and 100fps on halo in 800x600.... still it shud be better than this but at least its playable now.

mwahaha! right after fiddling about with the graphics settings in the advanced settings in the display options, whatever i did its running as smooth as silk now. at the moment its running at 1024x768, all the in-game grfx settings at max and anti-anialising at 4x, antistrophic filtering at 6x and all the other settings in that tab at max (bar one or two, they're at medium). but it looks quite nice and i get a steady frame rate of about 40fps (it should be more, but i'll settle at this). there is a bit of frame rate lag in really big close-quarters battle with loads of things happening. but it only drops there by about 10fps at max. im still not sure what i did but when i find out i'll post it here. ill try it later on at 1280x1024 and see what'll happen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Stupid specular and vsync. Got it running quite sweetly on my dual 933 machine, even with loads of enemies on the screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭Coyler

My second machine is 1.3 Duron, 728MB of DDR and a GF3 64MB and ran the game fine, Rabbitinlights. Oddly I think it may run better on that machine than my main one (1800xp, 1gig, 9500pro)
    /Shrugs
    Both Win2000pro by the by

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

It runs sweet for me after some tweaking between 45-120 fps in 800x600 and between 45-70 in higher res.
    Its a lazy job it has to be said,i had to run using pixel shader 1.4 to achieve above framerate which is bloody ridiculous imo.

P4 2.8 800FSB,512 DDR 3200,GF4 TI 4200.
    I loved the multiplayer on xbox but longed for mouse support and online play.The single player like xbox version is totally over rated though ,gameplay is great but too many similar looking textures about later into the game.
    I only bought for online play and i have to say its a blast,im more into realistic shooters like CS and DOD but Halo is a change and pure arcade fun and lag free for me on ISDN.
    Online play interface and presentation is terrible though :(,you cant even add favourite servers or friends lists.
    Roll on more patches to sort this.
    A few friends are devastated about the performance of Halo on their machines,very foor framerate even after tweaks,machines i refer to are around the 1.5 ghz256 sdram,GF4 spec machines.
    Im happy with it thanks to my system :) but fansites anf boards worldwide are from from happy with this lazy port.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Doodah7

All of the above posts just make me glad that I use my PC for the web and for music.

I was able to play Halo a year ago and all I had to do was put the disc into my xBox and play the game... Seems a lot easier to me...no tweaking, fretting or messing involved...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ppl like playing these sort of games on a pc though because of much better control systems and higher resolutions also in the case of halo to have a multiplayer game without split-screen you don't need two xboxes two games two t.v's all you need is a isdn connection it plays very well on that (pc version that is)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

All of the above posts just make me glad that I use my PC for the web and for music.
    I was able to play Halo a year ago and all I had to do was put the disc into my xBox and play the game... Seems a lot easier to me...no tweaking, fretting or messing involved.

True but PC high res looks far better than xbox,tellya wat ,you sit infront of ur tv playing splitscreen or a couple of you squashed into a room trying to set up a lan (been there b4 many times with xbox,not worth the hassle tbh) .
    Ill stick to my PC version thankyou very much and play in glorious high res with 15 other players online with a few beers beside me:)

ive just after spending a few hours tryin Halo Online for first time and I have to say its bloody amazing in ctf mode, totally lag free on isdn, gameplay to die for, proper team work and interesting maps. Best online fun ive had in years, screw cs, gonna concentrate on halo online now:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Stupid question here....

having great fun with Halo online (havent played it on Xbox at all) but have no idea how to score a point in CTF. Got the opponents flag brought it back to my base and after mashing every button i have couldnt get a point......what am i missing? Every game i have seen so far seems to be won 1-0.

the way thats done is you can't score a point unless you're team's flag is at you base. if the other team have it you cant score. and same for them. i finally figured that out after countless times of trying to score :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Ahhhhhhhhhh, it all makes sense now. Think ill give it a shot. The dedicated bungie servers give good performance even on 56k.

yeah i hardly get any lag on a good lot of servers. on my crappy 56k i get reasonable pings aswell, lowest i played at was something like 130. which i have never seen before in a multiplayer game (well aside from one or 2...)

• Advertisement

be nice if bungie set up a dedicated Irish Halo Server:D
    all we get is cs servers or other half life mods:(

Advertisement