Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychology courses

Options
  • 09-10-2003 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

K i want to do psychology pretty badly but i don't really know how to approach it. The only Irish college i actually fancy doing it in is Trinity as i live in Cork and its a bit claustrophobic here so i dont want to go to ucc but the points this year were 550 which seems a little steep and I don't have enough confidence in my ability to study.

People have been telling me you can get into it through Arts or Science, are the courses then different or what? I mean both art and science are favourable subjects for me but i feel i'd rather do it through art. Are the points lower if you do it through these? I'm really clueless about the whole situation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Get confidence in your ability to study, it can work wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

You can do psychology in arts in UCD, but after first year there are only 35 places for second and third year, depending on how well you did in your exams. Its like 375 points last year...
    Look... UCD New student info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Originally posted by Kold
    K i want to do psychology pretty badly but i don't really know how to approach it. The only Irish college i actually fancy doing it in is Trinity as i live in Cork and its a bit claustrophobic here so i dont want to go to ucc but the points this year were 550 which seems a little steep and I don't have enough confidence in my ability to study.

People have been telling me you can get into it through Arts or Science, are the courses then different or what? I mean both art and science are favourable subjects for me but i feel i'd rather do it through art. Are the points lower if you do it through these? I'm really clueless about the whole situation.

You used to be able to do it through science at UCD and graduate with a B.Sc. in Psychology instead of a B.A., but you can't do that anymore. (There was no difference in the course material, though - the only difference was the subjects you were taking it with.)

Psychology at TCD was 540* this year, btw. It's 550* if you're doing it with another subject as part of the TSM, and if you do, you need to keep psychology for your fourth year and drop the other subject to be eligible for the British & Irish Psychologists Assocation or whatever it's called (i.e. if you want to work in the field of psychology, you need that.)

You can do Psychology at UCD - 530 points this year - and that's like an arts degree for the first year (you do two other subjects) but then for the second and third year you do only psychology. If you get in with the 530 points and put down Psychology on the CAO, you're guaranteed a place in your second year. If you put down Arts - 375* this year - and then choose Psychology as one of your options, you can still get into Psychology for the second year, but like snickerpuss said, it depends on how you do in your first-year exams.

Same idea with NUI Galway - you can get into Psychology with 535 points, or do it through Arts (405*) though I'm not sure of the exact details.

Maynooth also offer Psychology - 510 points this year, and I think you can probably do it through Arts there, too (375*).

You can also apply to universities in the UK, if you're so inclined, as it's easier to get into psychology courses over there. But, look, if you really want to do it, and you'd like to go to Trinity, then aim for the 540 and see how it goes. :)

Advertisement