Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircon Phone Lines

Options
  • 10-10-2003 1:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭

1. Exactly what is guaranteed over and Eircon telephone line?
    2. Are the same services guaranteed for everyone that has an Eircon Phone Line?
    3. If not then why:
    a. Do we all pay the same price for line rental?
    b. Do we not all receive the same services?

OHP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by OHP
    1. Exactly what is guaranteed over and Eircon telephone line?

I assume you mean data speed. This is in the USO and since late July has dropped from 2.4k to 0k while the same EU directive in the UK meant that their superior cable was deemed capable of going from 2.4k to 28.8k. That makes the UK copper infrastructure 28800 times better than ours .

2. Are the same services guaranteed for everyone that has an Eircon Phone Line?
    Yes, we are all entitled to 'precisely fúck all' as the governmment spokesman put it so well.

3. If not then why:
    All us us are entitled to this, there are no exceptions.

a. Do we all pay the same price for line rental?
    Yes. We pay the most per line in the EU and probably in the whole world. That is why we are entitled to the superior service standard of 0k . Comreg have the foresight to ensure such a linkage and deserve praise for it, no other reglator has the clarity of thought to allow a mix of High Line Rental and No Service Guarantees. If we could bottle it and put it on a pallet ?!*!

b. Do we not all receive the same services?
    No. There is a lottery effect which means that some of us have good lines and some do not. Those who do not are simply unlucky. Comreg have no polices in place to 'DO' anything about it. Some of us are also blessed with not having 100,000 Watt MW transmitters in our back yards as you yourself know :D

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Muck did I just open a thread to let you vent your anger / frustration or what :p I could not have put it into better words. But I did not just mean data speeds I also meant line quality as in E.g. Getting a great 2FM reception, phone lines picking up Electric Fence pulses etc etc. The guy next door has gotten BB and your only 5 feet away and Eircon says you can’t get it. Yet you STILL pay the same amount of line rental. And if it is a case of Jimmy next door has a perfect line, his was only put in last month against, hell I'm sorry mate but your line is 50 years old and there’s nothing we can do or his line works and yours don’t. Then there must be sommit we can do to rectify all this crap?

OHP

2FM (actually 2MW) predates your phone line installation.

Eircom will threaten farmers with dodgy electric fences for you but at least you can hear them on the line.

No rebates for substandard lines, have you never read the USO then OHP ? Most of this stuff is USO related, for me to add to that would amount to my repeating myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Originally posted by Muck
    I assume you mean data speed. This is in the USO and since late July has dropped from 2.4k to 0k while the same EU directive in the UK meant that their superior cable was deemed capable of going from 2.4k to 28.8k. That makes the UK copper infrastructure 28800 times better than ours.

By my math, that makes the UK lines infinitely better than ours.

infinity is a headwrecker even for me. 28800 times more is comprehensible!

either way you are a lot better off in the UK

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

By my math, that makes the UK lines infinitely better than ours.
    or it makes theirs no better than ours!
    :D

Advertisement