Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to track down a modchip installer

Options
  • 10-10-2003 2:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum but was wodering if anyone can recommend an installer who mods both the xbox and the ps2 so as to be able to play my backups of the originals
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

Does anyone know what the law is about moding the Xbox, in the states i think it is illegal since you cicumvent the copyright protection.
    If it is legal here where would one make people aware that "one" provide this kind of service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

It's a question mainly of copyright law. We have (as of yet) no copyright enforcer circumvention laws here.

If the modchip that you buy contains microsoft code (which it almost certainly does), you are breaking the law, as is the person who sells it to you. The distribution of copyrighted material is illegal after all. If you modify the chip yourself, it is legal.

All the chips you buy (all i know of anyway) contains only legal code!
    The chip is ready to execute linux distributions, so nothing illegal at all.
    I dont want to change this into a commercial, but if anyone need help installing a chip PM me, though the only one i do is the Chameleon chip (very much legal code!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

So they contain code which was completely developed from scratch by someone, and they have given the modchip makers the right to distribute that...

I'll believe you, but it strikes me as a little unlikely. If what you are saying is true, then scenario two counts and indeed, it is legal to use it.

The Chameleon solderless chip comes complete with linux Cromwell bios.
    This bios was made without any software developed by Microsoft, so it does not infringe any copyright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

could you do a PS2 also?

if so, how much?

I'm in Dublin btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 modman

mail me and ill get you sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I know someone in the Swords region, send me a PM if ur interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Careful lads....

I dunno about the PS2, but the Xbox is 100% legal, no MS code is used, so it is just like modding any kind of HardWare!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

I can mod xboxes... I can do it in my sleep I think... its soooo easy... although I only do it for my friends... dont have the time or energy to do it for someone else... not worth the money (seriously, how much can you charge for soldering a modchip in an xbox... 10 euros). Get a soldering iron, two torx screwdrivers (10 and 20) and do it yourself. It's really easy if you've ever soldered anything before.

It is completly legal to chip an xbox, as long as you dont use xecuter or evo-x bioses. The only legal bios is cromwell, and it's for loading Linux only. If you wanna run exo-x, you need a hacked illegal bios.

I have two xboxes myself, and I have yet to play a game on either. One is for watching movies (that thing plays everything, divx, mp3, all region dvds etc etc), the other one is running as an FTP server under linux (just playing around with it really).

Xbox is great, if you modchip it and don't play games on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

anyone know where I can get a mod chip (xecutor 2?) in Dublin?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

if you load linux on an xbox*, will it still be able to play xbox* games?

* xbox name used in accordance with licence by Micro$oft copright 1995-2003 micro$oft corperation

ha my post is so legal looking compared to all yours

The mod chip u install will in its code have a line which determines what file to boot from, so no, without disabling it or putting on illegal code you will not be able to run xbox games at the same time as running linux, quite easy to switch between the states on the mod chip though, at least on the Chameleon which by far is my favourite!!

Advertisement