Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Set non-booting partition as active

Options
  • 10-10-2003 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭

Oops, I've managed to set my second partition as active using the Windows 2000 Disk Management tool. Which, once I had begun to shutdown, I realised was not what I wanted to do. Obviously, without the OS files to boot from on that partition, I've got a lemon (non-starter).

So I thought I'd be able to fix it from my Win98SE Hard Disk. Oops, I ended up turning that into a lemon too. (The man with the citrus touch?)

Thanks be to God, I got the Win98SE system working again.

How can I set the active partition on my other HD and re-gain access to the files on it? I've tried using fdisk from Win98 (which is how I lost Win98 in the first place), and from a Win98 bootable floppy. Fdisk shows the second partition(DOS) but not the first(NTFS).

It is what it's.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Partition Magic should do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

As far as I remember it should show the NTFS partition as a non-dos partition?

Best solution would be linux fdisk (yay, woohoo etc) or the dos version of partition magic as Mr. Grimes said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

hmmm, i used to have a dual boot set up with winxp on the 1st partitiion & win98 on the second.
    i never had a problem setting the ntfs partition as active from win98...
    arconis boot selector is handy for selecting partitions, i use that at the mo for switching between xp on the 1st hd & 98 on the 2nd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

oh yeah, i might've been using this instead of standard fdisk.
    slap that on the boot disk & give it a whirl

Advertisement