Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

c++ newb here, whats going on.

Options
  • 10-10-2003 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭

helo, i'm about to start learning how to program in C++ but as yet i've no idea what exactly it is. i mean i know it makes programs and these programs make the computer go, but what is c++ is it a software suite i can get and use, the lecturer seems to just use a built in part of mac os x to program nad i think i've seen something similar in linux, but what program do i asctually use on windows to program in c++ and is it the same (compatible) with the programs used on imac's.

thanks, sorry i haven't a clue about this, most apear rather stupid looking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

Boston,

C++ is a programming language (there are MANY of them) and as such you can't buy the language just as you can't buy English. However when you write program in a language such as C++ you can use a software package to compile your program so that it can be used on a computer. The compilers are basically what you can buy, e.g. Microsoft Visual C++ (included in Visual Studio). There are free compilers, especially for unix, linux and sun machines. I think most are based on the same basic compiler gnu??

Anyway, to just write C++ all you need is notepad. But to do anything useful you'll need at least a compiler and to make life a bit easier you'll need a nice editor to help you write the programs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 giolla

boston u sound very much like a first year student at trinity?
    If so there's microsoft's visual c++ on all the pc's there. I found that much easier to debug programs than all this changing between the text editor (bbedit lite i think) and the terminal window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

its true i am a first year trinity student, i'll look into getting visual c++

Originally posted by giolla
    boston u sound very much like a first year student at trinity?
    If so there's microsoft's visual c++ on all the pc's there. I found that much easier to debug programs than all this changing between the text editor (bbedit lite i think) and the terminal window.
    That's a good point, to start off with i'd stick with the MS programs. Eventually you might have to program for non-Windows OSs in which case you might come across an editor called vi. All I can say is best of luck with that, has to have the most bizarre UI i've ever seen in a program.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

That's why you should use emacs!

/me hides...

• Advertisement

I would except i'd have more use for my new laptop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 giolla

If your worried about passing the subject, don't.
    The exam is all about learing off the programs u wrote (or copied of the nerdy guy) during the year.

not really all that worried, just think its problable a good hting to learn how to do, and it doesn't look that hard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Auburn

Originally posted by Boston
    not really all that worried, just think its problable a good hting to learn how to do, and it doesn't look that hard
    :eek:

Not to scare you ar anything, but C++ isn't easy. The best thing to do is keep on top of lectures, etc., and lots of practice!!

For first year you probably would get by with learning things off but you could find yourself screwed later when you discover you don't understand the basics!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Mick L
    The compilers are basically what you can buy, e.g. Microsoft Visual C++ (included in Visual Studio). There are free compilers, especially for unix, linux and sun machines. I think most are based on the same basic compiler gnu??

Or you could try Dev-C++ which is a GUI working around the windows port of the gcc compiler (GNU compiler). It's free and quite good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

The lads are dead right boston, practice in writing/compiling programs is theonly way to learn properly. If you devote a couple of hours each week to doing a bit of programming you'll make bits of any exam paper they could throw at you.....

Saying that....i don't think i can but an old head on new shoulders ;) - 1st years tend to terrible men/wonen for the beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Originally posted by Peace
    1st years tend to terrible men/wonen for the beer.

Kettle... Black...

My advice Boston, and you're going to get a lot of it in here, is to keep coding. Come up with programs that do anything like ping webservers or calculate the time it takes to boil a given amount of water from freezing. Its the experience that counts and it will stand to you.

Yeah and use pointers and throw them about willy nilly. Doesn't matter if you don't know what they are now........YOU WILL. Can you say memory leak??

You'll also learn how to curse compilers like you've never cursed before. One more thing, take a screen shot of this, put it on the wall next to your desk
    and it doesn't look that hard
    :mad:

Nah seriously though, enjoy programming

MWAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAA :f33r: :f33r:

right i've obtained visual c++, anybody know any good tutorials, preferable somethign in a step by step pdf formatt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Adrian

I find C++ very easy and I am only in secondary school. It's probably one of the easiest oop's out. I use Dev- C++ as i would not be bothered buying Microsoft Visual C++. You should start learning it by getting The book " The Complete Idiots Guide To C++". This will teach you the basics. Then from there you can go into Object oriented programming at machine level or visual c++ for windows programs. By far C++ is the most rewarding program to learn. Good look.

they only thought C++ in my school to the spanners that couldn't handle a science, wheres the logi in that. I have a book its called problem solving in c++ and object oriented programing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Originally posted by Sico
    That's why you should use emacs!

/me hides...

emacs is for women and people who get amourous with sheep.

vim...
    that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Emacs is the height of ecstacy compared to the dog turd that is Vi - forced upon me in 3rd Year Operating Systems. Ugh. The memories still haunt me.

C++ is my favourite of all the programming languages, but it is horrendously difficult to manage in large-scale projects compared to Java. However, in C++ you're in control of everything, and Java is sh*t slow.

For now, all you should be doing is learning simple loops (like counting to 10, and printing out the results), and learning to test if your code works properly.

Originally posted by mr_angry4
    Emacs is the height of ecstacy compared to the dog turd that is Vi - forced upon me in 3rd Year Operating Systems. Ugh. The memories still haunt me.

Your minority opinion has been logged to.

/dev/null.

Yeah Boston.

Dev-C++... do you really need to spend money on more M$ bloatware?

• Advertisement

Dev-C++ is that some kindof linux based thing, i have mandrake nine somewhere, i think, never bothered to install it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Dev-C++ is available for most platforms you can think of.

MS VC++ is more trouble than it's worth imho. Especially when you just want to compile simple programs like you'll be doing in first (and second) year. I used it when I first started learning c++ last year and I was so happy to use something with less bells and whistles instead. Make life easy for yourself and avoid it like the plague.

where abouts would i obtain it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Gav_b

My advice would be to go with Visual C++.
    When you go to look for employment you will find that most of the jobs in C++ are for windows developers, using Visual studio and the MFC. For example if down the road you want to get into game or audio program development, the SDKs for all the commercial programs are released as Visual Studio projects (Direct-X, VST etc)

Alot of people start out intending to use Visual C++, but give up after a few sessions, expecting it to be alot easier than it is. Because they failed to master it, they then totally dismiss it. While it is certainly long winded and complex, when you get the swing of it, the benifits are well worth the inital head scratching.
    My advice would be to get a copy of Visual C++ in 21 days and go through all the leasons. This will give you a basic over view.
    After that I recommend getting a copy of Microcsoft Visual C++ by Microsoft Press (latest edition is black with a spanner on the front)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Editplus 2 is a handy little programmers file editor with syntax highlighting/colouring, auto-complete and all manner of wonderful things. You can link to external programs too, like C++ compilers. While I've never done this I have done it with Java and it worked a dream. It even has built in FTP functionality. There's support for loads of languages and filetypes and if what you want isn't there, you can create your own support files and upload them to the website.

I've used Editplus with:
    Asp
    VBScript
    Javascript
    HTML
    Php
    Java
    C#
    Sybase T-SQL
    PL/SQL.

It's deadly :)

I'm not looking to become a professional programmer, just in hte course i'm doing its covered. I don't see myself doing it for a living, just something usefull to have, no point in being ignorant if some bloke in college is willing to teach moi how to program, even if its just the basics, but i think we do java as well later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

:)

You don't do C++ in first year in Trinity.
    Actually they never teach you C++.

Originally posted by DeadBankClerk
    :)

You don't do C++ in first year in Trinity.
    Actually they never teach you C++.

Sorry but what are you ****ing on about? is this an attemp to be funny?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Yeah, I'm going to clown school next year.

Advertisement