Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50 Vs 100Mhz

Options
  • 10-10-2003 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

Is it really worth the extra bucks ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

from what i've heard and read it depends, if you watch a lot of sport or movies with car chases then its probably not worth it because i've heard that the faster refresh rate makes the picture choppy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭MartinHSabag

1. It's 50Hz Vs 100Hz (not MHz).
    2. Depends on what TV size and what TV.
    On small TVs I think it's not worth it.
    There are some manufacturer's that do it properly and others less.
    Try to demo it yourself in the shop Head to Head.

Read this thread as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

the faster refresh rate makes the picture choppy
    Have to say this hasn't happened to me in 3 years watching my Philips 32".
    For DVD's and digital TV you can certainly see the difference IMO.
    thegills

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

the faster refresh rate makes the picture choppy

I've seen this happen on cheap 100Hz sets. If you have x amount to spend and there is a 50Hz and a 100Hz set at that x price point, chances are the 50Hz is the better set! I believe that this is because there is a certain element of a 100Hz picture that is processed by software, and cheap TVs have cheap processing. There is a lot of info to process when dealing with a fast paced DVD at 100Hz, and some TVs just can't keep up.

If you are going to buy a TV, go for one up the range. Don't get the entry level Philips or Sony etc, spend a few bob more than you feel comfortable with... hehe

If you are going to spend more than €1150, get a Loewe

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I have a 32" Sony and you do notice the change from 50hz to 100hz. It really is obvious on the large screens though [26"+]

I notice it on both TV and DvD if i drop it back to 50hz. The image becomes choppy and actucully hard to watch [to the degree the choppyness annoyes your eyes]. I would reccomend going for 100hz if you wish to enjoy your television viewing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

firstly there is only 1 difference between a 50hz tv and an identical 100hz model, we all no the basics that a 50hz tv u see the pic 50 times a sec and a 100hz u see 100 times a sec, and all things being equal and the rest of the tv; scomponents being the same picture quality will be the same because ur seeing the same pic just twice as many times so howw could that possibly improve the quality of the picture.the reason 100hz tv's have better picture is because generally the manufacturers put more picture technology into the 100hz sets, it is also dependant on which type of 100hz the tv has (AABB Vs ABAB) ther latter being the better technology. picture quality issues are most evident if u get the full range of a manufacturers tv side by side u will notice a difference going thru the range, this was very evident in SOny's range the 1st 2 sets were basically the same ( LS 35 & LS 60) except 1 was 50hz and the other 100hz.

personally ( and anyone else whos seen them) i never would have even considered the 100hz model because the ppicture was dark ( abd no it wasnt due to the settings) and it suffered from ghosting on things like football where the camera is panning around. Now once u go up the range to the 100hz digital plus model and further up with the DRC technology there was definate picture improvements that was nothing to do with 100hz and all to do with the technology going into the picture production, baically people like big numbers so companies produce stuff with big numbers, i seem to remember some1 releasing a 14 r 16 head video a few years back, i mean WTF! people are very easily lead and now after fifty odd years of everyone being perfectly happy watching 50hz without noticing flicker but all of a sudden we "need" 100hz because we are told we need it.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I have never been much impressed by 100Hz except when using DVD's or something with high picture quality. If your tv signals are poor, I find that 100Hz TV's make it look somewhat worse.

As for the Sony LS60, tbh I'd rather go for the FX/FQ series which look better physically and picture wise, IMHO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Nero

I was in Kielys (at the Parkway roudabout in Limerick) yesterday and they were pricing me €1399 for a 32" Sony, the 50Mhz was only €100 cheaper. I don't know the exact model but it sounded good to me. I must call back in and get the exact model.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

thats about €100 over the odds for both models if they r both the new models. And thats quoting average prices and not haggling r shopping around

To be honest that is the first price I got. I will get the eaxt model and try to 'haggle' (even though I am not very good at it) tomorrow. I might try Curry's accross the road for a price but it would gall me to knowingly give money to a british outfit.

• Advertisement

So here is the deal they are offering me for €1599 including
    TV - Sony KV32FX68
    DVD - Sony DVPN330
    Video - SLVSE730

I priced the exact same in Currys and they came in at €1480 for the lot. I will go back to Kielys tomorrow to see if they can match that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Why bother Nero, You want them to beat the Curries Price.

Make you sure you get a 3 year warranty deal / insurance even if it costs a few bob or 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

powercity have that model telly on their site for €1179 Nero
    have a look at www.powercity.ie or www.did.ie

Superfly,
    The delivery charges for Powercity and DID to Limerick drive the charges up. €70 and €45 for the three items respectively.

The Gills,
    The guy in Currys was no where as helpful or as knowledgeable as the guy in Kielys. He basically said here it is, lump it or llike it.

Anyway I have been back to Kielys and they gave me the lot for €1480. - I am a happy camper - picking them up on Saturday morning when I get the brothers van.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

You didn't do so bad then so! ;)

Plus, if things go wrong, you may find that a private retailer may provide better after-sales service than a chain group.

It also proves that if staff are helpful, you've a better chance a sale. Take not retailers! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

OR!!!!! You could get a Panasonic AE200 16:9 Projector and Projecta 16:9 8ft screen for €1080(PJ) + €250(Screen) from www.komplett.ie and keep your current tv for daytime, curtains open use!

pic029z.jpg

I know this post was off topic and and Nero was asking about Tv's but Damn I just hate seeing people spend that much on a 32inch telly :D:D:D

[Edit] Oh, just noticed its a done deal and that you were also getting vid and dvd player....ignore this post. Sorry[/Edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Originally posted by Calibos
    OR!!!!! You could get a Panasonic AE200 16:9 Projector and Projecta 16:9 8ft screen for €1080(PJ) + €250(Screen) from www.komplett.ie and keep your current tv for daytime, curtains open use!

pic029z.jpg

I know this post was off topic and and Nero was asking about Tv's but Damn I just hate seeing people spend that much on a 32inch telly :D:D:D

[Edit] Oh, just noticed its a done deal and that you were also getting vid and dvd player....ignore this post. Sorry[/Edit]
    Do you play games on that? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Yep! :D:D

picb005.jpg

Advertisement