Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do you increase peoples interest in space?

Options
  • 10-10-2003 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

An astronomer friend that does a lot of research with the ESA asked (in a large group, actually) why more people are not interested in space.

The ESA's main gripe is that low interest means they get small research grants. They have so many cool things to do, and so little money to do it. But, "because we think it's cool" is no reason to get the countries to donate millions a year on space science rather than a new hospital.

We came up with a few ideas;

"Big Brother IIS" - personally, I think it'd be cool, and you would have no problem finding astronauts to do it. The research value would be quite low, but you would get huge public interest.

More school programs; ESA sponsored competitions, ESA designed syllabii, ESA assisted projects

A manned space program (ESA do have long term plans for a base on Mars, but its very very slow going).

Anyone got ideas as to why ESA is so unknown among Irish people ? Or how you could raise its profile, and the interest of the public in its goals ?

John

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Originally posted by valen
    More school programs; ESA sponsored competitions, ESA designed syllabii, ESA assisted projects
    John

Well that'd be a fantastic idea unfortunately the government have pretty much already decided that Astronomy's not important/popular anymore and, if I'm not mistaken, removed it from the Science Syllabus. Astronomy Ireland wrote to the Minister on this (as far as I'm aware) but I dunno whether it has been removed or it's still planned to be removed or will be removed etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

Originally posted by halenger
    Well that'd be a fantastic idea unfortunately the government have pretty much already decided that Astronomy's not important/popular anymore and, if I'm not mistaken, removed it from the Science Syllabus. Astronomy Ireland wrote to the Minister on this (as far as I'm aware) but I dunno whether it has been removed or it's still planned to be removed or will be removed etc.

Regarding the Junior Cert (1989 syllabus), there was an `Earth Science` module as part of the `Applied Science` extension. About a third of this was directly related to Astronomy. (The sun, eclipses, tides, orbits, a little about the solar system). The structure of the Junior cert has changed and the applied science modules are no longer part of the syllabus. This was an optional component (you could pick something else), but the student could choose it regardless of the teachers opinion, and I've only met a couple of teachers who did teach it (other options were apparently easier).

What they have done instead is tried to bring in a broader and more scientific approach. 65% is based on the junior cert exams, 10% is based on classromm experiments (the lab book), for the remaining 25% `the student will be required to undertake two specified investigations in 3rd year and submit a pro forma report on these for assesment`, the topis will vary from year to year, and students sunstitute an investigation of their choosing. I havent seen a list of these topics yet (there will be one from each of physics, chemistry and biology), but it appears that students will be able to attempt an astronomy module if they really want to. Some of the content from the applied science modules have

In effect what the government has done is removed the extensions, and instead put in place a way for students to learn the scientific method by having to do two scientific investigations. Is that a good trade off, I dont know there are good arguments from both sides. Despite the reduction in content I dont think its a bad idea to try and give students a better grounding in practical scientific method rather than specific diciplines being taught.

I'm not a teacher though but other people here are, so feel free to rip the above to shreds if its wrong!

The ESA wont benefit from having astronomy more in the clasroom anyway.

As for big brother, there already is NASA TV which does live ISS broadcasts.

Getting people more interested? More cool technology with cool/cute names eg Beagle2 is a cool/cute name with lots of good PR behind it. SMART-1 is a `we couldnt be bothered` name. Hey paint a big smiley on the side of the next Arianne5 and it'll get more publicity :-)

Cheers,
    ~Al
    --
    www.irishastronomy.org

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I did an Astronomy project for one of my Group Cert science exams way back in 1987.

Nothing earth shattering, just a planisphere specific to my location made from cardboard and a log book of various observations over the year. When we had the oral exam in June the external examiner who didn't have a clue asked me several questions about astrology. :p Well I got my A anyway....

I'd love to have studied an astronomy module as part of the official syllabus-had I been born ten years later I'd probably be doing it at college now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

When we had the oral exam in June the external examiner who didn't have a clue asked me several questions about astrology.

Similar thing happened me for the Irish Orals, I started talking about Astronomy and then the examiner asked me `if I believed in it?`. A few stupid answers later I coped on to what was happening...
    had I been born ten years later I'd probably be doing it at college now.

Yea, Irish Colleges have only got astronomy/astronphysics into their courses fairly recently. I remember talking to David Moore about this years ago, he went to college to study physics and astronomy, but the astronomy module was only a component in 4th year so he got a comp. sci. degree instead, (which is what I did also actually!), and I know several others who have ended up in very different diciplines due to the broadness of UCD's Science degree! Though its not too late if you want to go back and study, several universities offer MSc. Astronomy programs around the world by distance learning. Thats what I'm up to at the moment, and enjoying it.

Cheers,
    ~Al
    --
    Irish Astronomical Society
    www.esatclear.ie/~ias

Advertisement