Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shuttle Systems

• 10-10-2003 4:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Woah! Can't belive I've missed these.

Kickass-looking Shuttle Things

Can someone fill me in? I've been looking at systems/components with an eye on a new rig but really haven't found anything case wise to keep me happy. This is the answer to my searching, I think.

What a really want is a space-saving yet high end system. I would be hoping to hook this up with a P4 2.6 (800) and a good Radeon, 9600 maybe.

Can anyone give an objective opinion on if this is feasible or experience they've had with them? I gotta say it looks damn good but don't want to get something that won't perform......... for Half-Life 2.........in April, grrrr:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I can wholeheartedly recommend them. My cases were getting bigger and bigger until I fell in love with the look of these babies, got subjective and realised that most of the cards I had in my PC could be replaced by the onboard features of my new Shuttle SN45G.
    I now have a small quiet box that looks nice on my desk with an Athlon XP2400, 512 MB DDR, a possibly soon to be upgraded GF3 Ti500, a CDRW/DVD combo drive and two HDDs (one at the expense of the floppy I never used anyway). Sound and LAN are onboard and flawless for my needs.

Check www.sfftech.com and their forums and all your questions will be answered as to what works and what causes problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

They're great.

SB51G, 3.06P4, 9800 Pro, gig of ram. mmmm tasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

yeah they look great, i'm just worried that 220w power supply isn't enough
    They're great.

SB51G, 3.06P4, 9800 Pro, gig of ram. mmmm tasty.

that must run pretty hot. Is it possible to add extra fans for cooling? How noisy is it compared to a normal ATX system?
    I'd love to see one of these in action. Is there any retailer that sells them in Dublin?

Surprisingly, not that hot. Checked the temps a while ago (under load) and it was about the same as any other system. Nothing to be worried about. Doesn't crash.

Depending on which one you get (don't get anything with a SIS chipset... in general.... :) ) the 200W power supply is pretty beefy.

It won't be as noisy as a regular system as long as you don't add extra fans, and watch out what HW you buy. A graphics card will have a fairly noisy fan. Get a quiet HD, a quiet drive (read reviews, talk to people who have them) change the fans that come with it depending on which one you get and it should be pretty quiet.

Check out the forums on Hexus. Quite a few Shuttle owners there that should be able to advise on which parts are quiet. Mine is used mainly for gaming and normal PC usage so I'm not too bothered about noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Depending on which one you get (don't get anything with a SIS chipset... in general.... ) the 200W power supply is pretty beefy

I think I'll be getting the SB61G2 which is the P4 system with the 800FSB. It really sounds like a great setup. It'll primarily be used for gaming so I'd imagine it'll be running hot, good to hear that your's isn't melting :)

i'll pick up a 9600 and a P4 2.4. Only problem is komplett at the moment. They really seem to be messed up with stock levels. And I've noticed their shuttle prices seem to be about E50 higher than overclockers.co.uk. I'll be making the purchase shortly and if komplett don't sort it out it'll be overclockers (any experience with them?)

gonna throw up a post on it now......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

don't get anything with a SIS chipset... in general....

Koneko, just curious as to the probs with sis as this is whats in my box..

SIS chipsets in general have never been the most stable, have had some bad experiences with them. With the Shuttles based on SIS chipsets it's the same thing. Not as stable, more crashing, less options (as far as overclocking goes). Fine, it doesn't always apply, but I personally after a few bad boards just went for the other options instead :)
    If you're not having any probs I wouldn't worry about it.

That's one thing I forgot to mention in my last post. Overclocked the P4 a little to 3.3Ghz aswell and still no heat probs.

Quarryman - Overclockers.co.uk are a little expensive and very slow on the ole shipping side of things. If you're looking to just buy the Shuttle unit at the moment, check out gemma.co.uk
    Their website is awful (seriously awful) but they're really fast at shipping and their prices are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

cheers koneko...havnt had any problems but good to know nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭omathuna

Am I missing something?
    how do you add Radeon to this mobo. It does not have a AGP slot only one PCI slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

The original Shuttles only had 1 PCI slot. AFAIK all the recent ones have 1 PCI and 1 AGP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement