Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaders of the free world?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Spenguin

I suppose the world would work if they made it like in 'brave new world' where everyone was happy because they were raised to be satisfied with what ever position they were in. Course, it'd be kinda boring. from an outsiders point of view that is. We wouldn't know boredom. YAY!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Aliminator

ignorance is bliss.
    well, there's a fukn legendary idea Spenguin.
    like the world needs more ignorance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 John1188

has it not occured to anyone that a "free" world wouldn't have any rulers as we'd all be free?
    also to those people saying that the world is both good and bad:

good and bad don't exist, they are concepts thought up to help justify the concept of morality

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Aliminator

wha hahaa.
    good one. good and bad are all based on our perceptions and expressions of the ways of knowing. i like that concept.

did anyone go to that freedom thing in UCD over the weekend. was thought-provoking.

actually good and bad came about in the following manner:

a guy didn't want things to happen to him

he called these things bad things

he decided he needed a way to make sure these things didn't happen to him

he invented morality

he dressed up in a habit and went out into the street and told people about "God" and how "God" wanted people to be "moral"

he told people that if they were "moral" (i.e. good) they would be rewarded and if they were "immoral" (i.e. bad) they would be punished

people believed him

he then felt safe turning his back to other people

(i'm not really this cynical but it's a good way of seeing things differently)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Originally posted by It wasn't me!
    In charge of the biggest and best trained army and the most powerful nuclear arsenal ever.
    I believe that mother Russia has (or at least had) a larger army in terms of manpower, and a larger nuclear arsenal. No central heating, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

'i'm not really this cynical '

i know ****ing coin operated lampposts

neway how can one person have invented wat was bad, since not all people have the same views as to wats bad r immoral? Fair enough that one person had the concept, but not the complete monopoly on which was which.Infact (now that im rambling) the worlds first debate was probably on wat was bad and wat was good but all debates are, just under other names.

what do coin operated lampposts have to do with this?
    who are you?
    and
    this guy came up with morality to protect himself from wat he believed was "bad", others understood "bad" things as wat ever they consider them to be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Originally posted by John1188
    wat do coin operated lampposts have to do with this?
    who are you?
    and
    this guy came up with morality to protect himself from wat he believed was "bad", others understood "bad" things as wat ever they consider them to be
    Wat:
    A Buddhist temple in Thailand or Cambodia.

Maybe you mean:
    What:
    pron.

Which thing or which particular one of many: What are you having for dinner? What did she say?
    Which kind, character, or designation: What are these objects?
    One of how much value or significance: What are possessions to a dying man?

That which; the thing that: Listen to what I tell you.
    Whatever thing that: come what may.
    Informal. Something: I'll tell you what.
    Nonstandard. Which, who, or that: It's the poor what gets the blame.

adj.
    Which one or ones of several or many: What college are you attending? You should know what musical that song is from.
    Whatever: They soon repaired what damage had been done.
    How great; how astonishing: What a fool!

adv.
    How much; in what respect; how: What does it matter?

conj.
    That: I don't know but what I'll go.

interj.
    Used to express surprise, incredulity, or other strong and sudden excitement.
    Chiefly British. Used as a tag question, often to solicit agreement.

Though you could mean
    John Bowler:
    Spammer that lacks basic typing and spelling skills

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

why wasn't i one of the options on the poll?

• Advertisement
Advertisement