Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Felt Like Putting a Sledge Hammer Through Your Monitor?

Options
  • 10-10-2003 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭

Hopefully this is the right forum for this

Well lately I've been having one or 2 problems with my pc and was wondering if anyone could help with at least one of the problems.

I suppose I should start off by saying I'm using windows 98 version 2.0

1. My father got a virus through his email recently and foolishly decided that he should try and fix it himself so he toddled off and bought norton systemworks and attempted to get rid of the above mentioned virus.
    Now I dont know exactly what he did(neither does he btw) but he has some how managed to delete a supposedly essential .exe for opening applications i.e. I can't open any application without. wmgk".exe is what its looking for. Now went through the backup files looking for it but to no avail. grrr. Just reinstall windows 98 you say? The CD is missing! Double grrr!

2. I have 2 HD's. So I decide that if I update to win2000 on the 2nd HD I can run the pc off that and then alls well. So I go into dos and try and convert my drive to ntfs but it keeps saying the "convert" is a bad file or command name? Does anyone have any idea why this is happening or how I could fix it?

The only thing my pc can do atm is go on the internet. Then today just to top it all off my sound is now gone and I can't fix that because i can't even open the control panel!!! bah

All in all me and sledgey *taps sledge hammer with a crazy look in my eyes* are getting a little impatient with the ol' pc.

Any help would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

This may be a stupid question but...

Why not disconnect the old drive, jumper the spare as the master drive and let Win2K look after the formatting when it boots from the CD, install it, then reconnect the old drive and recover whatever you need from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Er, first of all, there's no convert tool in Windows98. Second, you don't have to convert your drive to NTFS prior to installing 2K.

Just do what milltown said (assuming you have a 2K CD).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

and learn to relax...

Advertisement