Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Program to tell me where my disk space is going?

Options
  • 11-10-2003 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

I'm sure a session with explorer, a calculator and a pen and paper would achieve the same thing but I have two 20 gig drives (1 laptop, 1 desktop) with sweet f.a. stored on them but both only have about 2 gigs free space. The desktop I can sort of understand as it has some games installed on it but it also has an 80 gig drive for my ISOs, DivXs and MP3s.
    Both recycle bins are empty, disk cleanup only freed up about 250mb each and with show hidden files and folders active I cannot for the life of me see where 20 gigs has gone!
    Is there any utility I can D/L that will show me what is eating up my space so I can decide whether or not to delete it?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

There is a great little utility called "Easy Cleaner" which will do just that, as well as clean out all the crap on your PC

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

============================
    You can empty the temp folder and remove file0???.chk files in c:\
    Do a file find of files > 999KB,

To ID duplicate files... very tedious but guarantees files are identical.
    download from www.slavasoft.com/fsum/
    fsum -r *.* > filelist.txt
    sort filelist.txt > sorted.txt
    then figure out some way of working out if the same checksum appears on consequitive lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

http://www.toniarts.com/files/EClea1_7.exe for easy cleaner
    which I recommend myself... :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

Disk Data is cool. It shows you how much each folder is taking up on your HD, you can sort by size, view as bars or a pie-chart.

barchartsnap.gif
    (snapshot from diskdata.com)

I like it, pretty nifty :)

It is what it's.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

DiskData is $45 after 30 days - TreeSize is FREE

(unless you want to get the professional version)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

if you've got a linux partition, use kdirstat to see your windows partition, it's like diskdata i guess
    meh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

Odd. The 2.2 version was freeware.

Anyway I have the 2.2 version on file if you want to PM me for it.

It is what it's.

Advertisement