Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD burning

Options
  • 11-10-2003 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

Ive a DVD burner but dont want to spend €10 on a blank DVD. Ive been told I can compress the film down so I can fit it on a Normal CD and still play it on a DVD player.
    Is this true?
    How do I do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

You dont have to spend €10 on a dvd. Look at sites on the net to see that they work out about €35 for a bundle of 25. Now that's not hard is it???

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

can use dvdshrink http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm

to fit your dvd films onto recordable dvds. have a look at forum on that site under 1 click transcoding tools. i would not bother with divx films on cd as they wont play on your standalone dvd player,and you may as well make use of your dvd burner.check out blankdiscshop.co.uk for cheap bland dvds , can get 25 for 34 euro incl. delivery.the RITEKG..04. based discs are supposed to be good. go to dvdrhelp.com to check out what discs are good .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭MartinHSabag

what you are talking about is called VCD, however the quality is very poor. Then there is SVCD which is a bit better but still not close to DVD.

Go to dvdrhelp

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

the above posts are ways to go
    I use dvdXcopy which clones ANY dvd as an exact back-up copy
    no loss in quality and retains multichannel sound
    I use verbatim blank dvds at around 2.80 a pop from komplett - they're cheaper but compatability is an issue, as per many previous posts dvdrhelp is by far the best site to visit for advice

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Originally posted by slave1
    the above posts are ways to go
    I use dvdXcopy which clones ANY dvd as an exact back-up copy
    no loss in quality and retains multichannel sound
    I use verbatim blank dvds at around 2.80 a pop from komplett - they're cheaper but compatability is an issue, as per many previous posts dvdrhelp is by far the best site to visit for advice

I've been reading about writing DVD's and Xcopy does seem to be about the best authoring software out there.
    There is a problem with copying to one disk for some formats.
    Layer 2 disks (DVD-9) have more than 4.38 GB on them and it's not possible to copy these to one disk without some loss in quality.
    Or you can span it over two disks to maintain quality.

You can make exact copies of layer 1 (DVD-5) DVDs onto one disk but I think the manufacturers are copping on to this and producing only layer 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Tis easy....

1/ Rip the movie to your harddrive with DVDDecryptor (if movie is a DVD-5 then this program will also burn the mo9vie (ISO mode))

2/ Shrink either movie only or full disc with DVD2one

3/ Burn to DVD-R/+R with Nero.

If you want to make a VCD from the origional DVD check out tutorials here.

Advertisement