Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland V Swtizerland (includes score)

• 11-10-2003 4:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭

Well here we are 15 minutes to kick off and the team has been announced :

____________________Given______________________

Carr_________O'Shea_______Breen__________Harte

Duff___________Holland_____Healy__________Kilbane

______________Keane_____Connolly______________

So anyone that Pray's start now.
    What we need for automatically qualification:

Ireland to win and Georgia to draw with Russia!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

that goal was a fu.cking disgrace O'shea close your legs, there all over us!!

Georgia have scored against Russia!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Russia have equalised.

O Shea was a bit thrown at the start, but he seems to be regaining his compuse a little, I'm sure Kerr will sort him out at half time.
    Lets hope they swap Duff around and bring on Morrison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

unfortunately Russia have equalised and Swiss still lead.

Ireland were looking a little better tho ....some hope

Russia are winning.

It's all over not going to portugal.

For fu.cks sake we had the beaten of these

Thats it all over now losing 2 nil

Fúck it anyway there were crap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

currently being discussed in detail in the #boards.ie irc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭donhughberto

2-0 i turned it off to see the turks cream england, need something to cheer me up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Originally posted by irish1
    Thats it all over now losing 2 nil

Fúck it anyway there were crap

i assume that was supposed to say they were crap, in which case i have to say, you're a great supporter :rolleyes:

Originally posted by eyerer
    i assume that was supposed to say they were crap, in which case i have to say, you're a great supporter :rolleyes:

They were Crap, I'm not saying they didn't try but they were carp.

And you picked a bad day to raise your eyes to me, twat

i assume that was supposed to say they were crap, in which case i have to say, you're a great supporter
    O feck off, people are hurting and you come here with that bullsh1t.

Ireland played crap from the off and never really looked like winning. Only point they looked like they might come into the game the swiss scored a 2nd just as i thought, this is dangerous when we start to play well. 1 min later it was 2. Typcical.

Fair play to the swiss. Not that long ago we woulda written them off as at least 4 points out of 6. Now we got nothing.
    Russia we got 1 outta 6. Hardly good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭ChumpStain

It was a dissapointing performance, but at least they tried after the terrible start we had.You just wonder what would have happened if Brian Kerr was in charge at the start of the campaign.Hopefully we'll do better in the World Cup Qualifiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭bugler

If Kerr had been in charge from the start I'm not sure the outcome would have been any different. Moot point anyway.

Ireland didn't qualify because Ireland aren't good enough. Nothing to do with bad luck or misfortune. Another major championship without any national interest for us then :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

You just wonder what would have happened if Brian Kerr was in charge at the start of the campaign

We probably wouln,t have done any better against Russia and Switzerland than we did when he was in Charge.

Dissapointint result but lets face it some of our players arn,t good enough , Time to re build and get some of the young pretenders into the Team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Originally posted by ChumpStain
    You just wonder what would have happened if Brian Kerr was in charge at the start of the campaign.

To be honest - it doesnt matter if Kerr had of been in change from the start... Its down to the players to perform on the pitch and today we seen again, just like the start of the campaign - they failed to live up to the high expectation... since the world cup

Hate to go over old ground but a Roy Keane we did need today and against the russians, just a pity as i would have travelled for the finals!

The Irish squad have too many first divison one players and it shows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

dont anyone dare try to defend ireland this time. that was a disgrace right from the start. it was embarrasing. it hurts, and hurts bad.

brian kerr, what are u at? taking on kinsella for holland. why not doherty. he stuck with the 4-4-2 system the whole bloody match. why not lose 3-0 playing 3 up front trying to pull one back??

im absolutely furious, with kerr, the team. such a big game, kerrs first big test and he failed miserably. we should have been bombing their penalty area from start to finish, we needed the win more than them.

how the hell are we supposed to qualify for the next wc if we cant even finish 2nd in a very poor group. :mad:

experience isnt exactly a good thing as ive said before, young players like miller, reid etc would have given alot more than some of the wimps on show tonight. no fight at all shown, this game needed passion and we got none. disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Excuse me while I intrude on private grief but that was a shocking performance, it felt like Ireland not Switzerland was in the box seat at kick off.

Very poor strategy by Kerr, when Duff was selected to play on the right I knew the worst would happen. Why would anyone belive that it made sense to play Irelands best player on the wrong side of the pitch? To allow Kilbane to play...?!

Mike.

I feel like crying, I really do, and I feel even worse for mates I know that had booked there holidays for Portugal next year.

Man that hurts it really fúcking hurts.

I'm stuck in work here and I feel sick.

Very poor strategy by Kerr, when Duff was selected to play on the right I knew the worst would happen. Why would anyone belive that it made sense to play Irelands best player on the wrong side of the pitch? To allow Kilbane to play...?!

Is that former man of teh match Kilbane? Was he playing Today?

Carr , O Shea, Kilbane,Connelly, Breen, Harte all had very poor game, some were never good enough. Duff hadn,t a great game either but he was played out of position which at this level nearly never works.

Kerr doesn't impress me at all, but the players are very poor level. That was a poor group and as pointed out the world cup seems unlikely. I really am gutted as Portugal isn't far away and it could have been done for the holidays!

Well as dad is scottish, we will cheer them in the playoffs, how nice it would be for scotland to knock england out in playoffs, the day might improve for us all if the turks could just beat them, half time 0-0 still puts england through as group winners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Oswald Osbourne

Fair play to the Swiss and the Russians. They are about 5 times more deserving of qualification than us judging by our 8 performances in this group and we can have no complaints whatsoever.

Todays performance was on one of the worst I've ever seen (perhaps only v Denmark 1985, Portugal & Holland 95 were worse) and it's a worrying situation if that's the best performance we can put on the pitch with a full squad in a must win game.

I think Kerr should take complete blame for todays result. We can all say we don't have good enough players or that Duff should played here/there or whatever but if you just looked at our basic shape on the pitch today you could see it was a complete shambles from the start. It was all just basic stuff and we couldn't even get right.

Kerr has showed twice now (today and v Russia) that tactically he's out of his depth and if he doesn't learn a lot of hard lessons from his first campaign then don't expect us to be in the shakeup for WC2006 .... or for him to be in a job.

i was another that would have went to portugal had we got there, every bloody time theres a finals on someone close we dont bloody qualify.

its gonna take a long time for me to get over this, losing to spain didnt even hurt this much. its not as if we were playing in istanbul, there was no 12th man for them. we need a complete revamp for the wc qualifiers.

where was the heart lads??? they disgraced their country and need a good kick up the backside.

how nice it would be for scotland to knock england out in playoffs, the day might improve for us all if the turks could just beat them, half time 0-0 still puts england through as group winners.

I hope bot England and Scotland make it to Portugal. It will give me an interest in the matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Carr , O Shea, Kilbane,Connelly, Breen, Harte all had very poor game, some were never good enough. Duff hadn,t a great game either but he was played out of position which at this level nearly never works.

I disgree with you when you say Connelly - he did a lot more than Keane today... he went looking for the ball... and any attacking play by Ireland - Connelly was involved in.

Lets be honest, the under-21s would have done a better job! Fair play to Switzerland but a few years back they wern't in same galaxy as the irish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Oswald Osbourne

Originally posted by The Muppet
    I hope bot England and Scotland make it to Portugal. It will give me an interest in the matches.

Yep, I'm all for all 3 of England / Scotland / Wales to make it to Portugal. I mean who really cares if the likes Norway or Latvia make it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I can only echo whats been said here already. What a pathetic performance by Ireland, Kerr is to blame but the players are also to blame. Where was the heart the desire to win and compete ??? They stood back and let a average Swiss team take the game to them.

John O'Shea was fully to blame for that first goal, I do not think he is as good as we all hoped he would be (sorry united fans). Shay Given what the hell was he doing with that second goal, he should have held onto the ball or parried it out of the danger zone, he handed that goal to Frei on a plate :rolleyes:. No service to our forwards from midfield and why the hell does Kerr not play Duff in his natural position on the Left I really cannot understand that at all. Ah well going out to drown my sorrows tonight!!!!!

Well done to the Swiss and Russians (oh and Scotland !!!).

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Carr was to blame for thte second goal, he keep letting teh crosses come in and eventually they were gona score :(

Also I dont understand why Duff is played on the right. Hes our best player, so I can understand us playing him in the middle if we had to, but playing him on the right when we've got a semi decent other is just stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

that was woeful today :) at least the rugby team have started off well :)

• Advertisement

no, gary breen (surprise surprise) was at fault for the 2nd goal, he didnt stick with his man and he got a free header which given saved and then fumbled.

my theory on gary breen being involved in every goal we concede was again proved right as he didnt get tight enough for the first goal either. however u win as a team and lose as a team so everyone including kerr must take the blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by Johnny_the_fox
    he went looking for the ball... and any attacking play by Ireland - Connelly was involved in.

That's prolly why we didn't score so :)

There are too many players in the squad content to be the "quiet men". We need players who should all be screaming for the ball and taking it foward rather than taking a pass from the defence and passing it across the middle of the park.

Oh well... we wouldn't have gotten far in the finals anyway judging by that performance.

John O'Shea was fully to blame for that first goal, I do not think he is as good as we all hoped he would be (sorry united fans).
    Your right, the first goal he was at 6's and 7's. He has never impressed me when he's played for Ireland, ever (afai can remember ne ways).

I think Duff was played on the right to give Harte a little more protection. We needed Duff to get forward and he couldnt do that and protect Harte.

ok the performance was poor and goals conceded were a shambles, but people that turn on the team when they don't quality are a waste of space

and i picked a bad day and got called a "twat" o sweet jesus no

i'm concerned for the irish team now though, since keane left they changed from a side that beat holland to a side that loses to switzerland and russia, i don't see anyone around whos gonna change their fortunes

gifted teams that dont qualify in a poor group are a waste of space.

fair enough, i think they should've gotten out of the group
    maybe they aren't as gifted as we hoped, certainly some average players in there not being challenged for their place

• Advertisement

and i picked a bad day and got called a "twat" o sweet jesus no

Sorry about that but my blood was boiling watching that match, and I haven't turned on the team I just said they played crap.

God knows it said it all last season about Villa and I still support them 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Ireland were worse than crap so get over yourself.

Absoleutly useless. Just as well the Swiss are a crap team as well or we would have lost 5 -0 to any half decent team. our passing seemed to go away, our ability to close down people and tackle went away. Im sorry if their are typos and grammatical errors, perhaps you can correct them :)

We didnt keep our shape in the russia game and failed to do so once again.

All in all back to the drawing board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭bugler

I don't think you could apply the term 'gifted' to the current Irish side. There are a couple of gifted individuals, and a lot of very average ones. You need strength up the middle to succeed, and unfortunately Ireland lack it, not just today but as a whole. It would be nice to have any of Moran/McGrath/Lawrenson back again...because if we had a solid spine to the side theres plenty of peripheral talent that would flourish. I'm not talking about the obvious, but about the likes of Finnan/Carr and so on. I don't want to be harsh on guys like Holland, he's a good player, but not the type that leads to you major competitions when things get tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

The way I see it, Ireland just weren't good enough today. We were poor in defence, we created nothing in midfield ( this, is our biggest problem in my opinion ). Our forwards who aren't naturally gifted in the air were scavenging on the odd crosses from Duff. I don't blame Kerr, our players just didn't have the quality to win.

Hard to get excited about a team which sent me on a rollarcoaster of emotion in the last world cup but i reinforce the point that too many of irelands first team play outside a top league and that point has to be addressed before things change.

O Shea has been good for man u and impressed but is he ready to be the anchor man in an international side. If he was english he would be U-21 and i have to be fair and give him time before judging. senior players stand up and for ireland nobody tried to shout the team into shape.

Keane is sadly missed but he turned his back on us> Even as a man u supporter i can't seem to forgive him for that, if hes fit enough for them why not us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

The way the only world class player they had (Roy) was treated - they subsequent proformances don't surprise me.

Thats true but after Mick the Prat left, he had a good chance to come back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I was so pissed off. i mean they should have been attacking from the stsrt. Ireland if i am not mistaken were the team needing the win.

They might as well have not shown up like england threated to do.

Lets rate a few players. My ratings might be missing late changes as i turned over to watch england.But i assume they were just as woeful as the rest of the team.

Given - might wanna hold on to the ball when there is a striker 2 feet in front of you.

O'Shea - kids got a lot to learn

Carr - Learn to cross the ball.Finnan should have played.

Breen - Learn to head the ball when you go up for corners

Duff - Marked out of the game on the right. He is left winger in general or i am mistaken.

Kilbane- Kilbane is Kilbane

Holland- Captain but they only thing i saw him do was shake hands with their keeper and somehow miss the ball for the first goal.

Healy- Was he playing i swear blind i saw it on the teamsheet.

Keane - badly let down by lack of service from the absent midfield.

Connolly - ****

Morrison- The heskey of ireland.

Jeez you think the way played we were the team with all the distractions during the week not England.

I ashamed to say i am an irish football fan today after that performance.

And we are the 14th best team in the world according to FIFA.
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

what i want to know is that when finnan took right wing a duff got pushed in to the left wing, the first time he got the ball he confused the **** out of the defence

what annoys me is WHY THE **** is he being played on the right side when he prefers the left side

Given - Gifted stopper, bad mistake for 2nd goal but with that defence stood no chance!

O'Shea - kids got a lot to learn, agreed i reckon he will learn

Carr - Been a bad season all round for carr, finnan isn't a great deal better!

Breen - too much backing off, has to get a toe in, he is an experienced player, too much first div football!

Duff - Marked out of the game on the right. He is left winger in general or i am mistaken. Quite right but i would have started in up front. The only light in a dull squad.

Kilbane- Kilbane is Kilbane, probably the worst international i have ever seen, i can't stand him!

Holland- Captain - is supposed to kick people up the a*** and he is just too quiet, didn't play well but his ability isn't strong either.

Healy- Was he playing i swear blind i saw it on the teamsheet, i reckon thats harsh, the lad was better than eight of his teammates and who can replace Keane!

Keane - Agreed Robbie works his heart out but when there isn't a ball coming near him he should drop deeper!

Connolly - ****, and say all of us, not even a good first diivision player!

Morrison- The heskey of ireland, to be fair he was robbed of service as well, being a decent player in past

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Aindriu

Gary breen and Shay Given pack your bags your sh1t. I largely blame Brian Kerr for this mess !! what a diaster ! If he doesnt get us to Germany 2006 then its time to pack his bags as well.

Look how quickly switerland developed its soccer with the right approach and money invested in stadia and facilities. Unless Ireland starts to do things like that then we will always be a looser. Time to reflect and build the National Stadium and invest in Soccer.

We really need Roy Keane and it now shows how much he gave when playing for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

Oh well, Ireland out. Played ****.

Glad England got through. Played well and deserved it.

Guess that is who I will be supporting along with Scotland and Wales in Portugal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

We could not qualify for the European Championship. Is there any way we could get out of the world cit qualifuers?

We won't be needing a national stadium for a while,

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

a BIT HARSH OF A REACTION FROM MOST OF UY'AS...The team gave it a go..
    yes we are a few players short but this is Ireland we are talkin about..a severe lack of quality players is the norm from teams of 3 mil (mostly gaa mad)ppl.We have to accept that we were very lucky to see successful teams as we have for the last 15 yrs.Countries with ten times our pop have never achieved what we have on the world stage.I would sign off by saying KK is a limited player but honest...I think brian kerr was attempting to cover for Harte's deficiencies by playing Duff in the rw slot.Connolly's contribution was as usual selfish and Healy looks a promising attacking MF if sufficient cover is found for him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Ireland were really really bad like i could not believe they played that badly. they were afraid of going after the game and most of these guys played in the world cup and champs league and they were afraid of some swiss team that have only a handfull of good players between them

what is needed and what was lacking was leadership. there is no leadership in the team. They are ALL pretenders (except duff did what he could given the circumstances)

They should be shown that video of the game again and again and then asked how proud are they after such a ****e performence. If they look for excuses they should be axed from the team for good imo.

absolute ****e!!!

the papers will have a field day 2morrow and for once i dont feel a bit sorry for them

but i suppose we will welcome them home anyway like the typical idiots we are. We should expect better!!
    Did we make the keeper make a save once???

what utter ****e!!

</rant>

• Advertisement
Advertisement