Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KOTOR Question

• 11-10-2003 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Is Kotor anything like the Final Fantasy series? i have played FF10 and really enjoyed it, im tempted to get KOTOR but just a bit wary on what itll play like.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Plays absolutely nothing like Final fantasy, it plays 1000 times better, i put it on the other night and 3 hours passed by and i never even knew it.

It really is a must have game.

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

If you own an X-Box you should own this game. I played it for over 50 hours in just four days it was that good. Almost on a par with FF7 but in my mind nothing will ever beat that. And they do play very differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Kotor is a completely different style of rpg to FF.
    Its made by the people who made the baldur's gate series and so is very like them (not the console crap, the pc ones) which is a good thing.
    There are no random encounters and the combat can be fought in real-time if you want.
    Its a brilliant game and as long as your an rpg fan you will enjoy it even if you're not into the star wars stuff. If you are, it just adds to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

I just got some crystals for my lightsabre and upgraded it, now i have a double one with enhanced sabre skills

Man i got to get back to it after my shift

Shin

I have one in each hand with cool crystals and a strength of 20 to boast their power even more.
    My all jedi team looks amazing going into battle with lightsabres flashing and force powers sending enemies flying across the room.
    There's so much customisation available. I can't wait to play through again as a dark jedi. Killing people at the drop of a hat.
    At the mo I've just gotten my third star map.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

the combat is turn based like ff7, but alo faster and much less tedious.

it is a fantastic game. the only bad thing about it is all the loading screens [but they give you some nifty story bits to read while loading, fantastic idea]

if your reading this your either not buying or playin the game.

you idiot!

go now

now......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Okay, fanboys aside...

It's nothing like Final Fantasy, or any Japanese RPG. It's a fairly typical, if well-made, western RPG - very heavily stat based combat system (even more so than the turn based stuff in FF), decent plot but very weak character development.

It's extremely buggy which is a bit of a shame.

Personally I didn't like it at all; I like Star Wars as much as the next man, in that I enjoyed the movies but don't have a house covered in memoribilia or any of that nonsense. KOTOR just did nothing for me; I don't like Bioware's games in general because I find the whole hardcore stats stuff far too anal, I find the combat incredibly tedious and the characters far too boring. I played it for a few hours and then dropped it entirely.

Probably one to grab from GAME and try out on the ten day return policy.

The combat is not turn based in a final fantasy way. There is no visible time bar; its all done behind the scenes. During attacks your character will spar with their opponent which looks a lot better than when they used to just stand beside each other in baldur's gate.
    I don't know what shinji means by it being extremely buggy. Occasionally you'll see through characters in conversations and occasionally there's a bit of slow-down (this never seems to happen in combat, only when walking around) but nothing that affects gameplay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Seifer - there is, later in the game. I've had a fair few friends playing the game experience major crash bugs and even in once case, someone's save got completely corrupted because he went to a certain planet too early in the story when the game wasn't meant to allow him to do so. It's extremely badly polished - I'm amazed Microsoft let them release it on Xbox in that state to be honest.

I found the combat boring mostly because it hides the turn based stuff, to be honest. It felt like the game was taking a lot of control away from me - early combat in particular is often just a case of sitting around and waiting for it to end.

I have about a 35 hour file and haven't experienced a crash yet. I only have one more of the planets to go to. I don't really know how your friend managed to pull that off.
    I'm not going to argue as you obviously have witnessed these events or know people who have but my copy has had no such problems.
    Believe me though I know what a torment it is to play a buggy rpg. Morrowind on xbox was ridiculously bugged and crashed all the time and then took ages to re-load. I'd never buy a game from bethesda again as a result.
    The combat gets better once you get access to more force powers and lightsabres.

• Advertisement
Advertisement