Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 95 Start Up Problems

Options
  • 11-10-2003 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

I've recently volunteered to have a look at my neighbours PC. The computer is some what a relic. There were a number of issues with the PC

1. The CMOS battery was dead.
    2. The hard drive was infected with the Ripper Virus
    3. An error occurred when trying to start up windows.

I don't particularly have any real experience with Windows 95 but I seem to have resolved issues 1 and 2.

However when I try to restart the system I receive the following error.

"Registry Problem"

"Windows encountered an error accessing the system registry. You should restore the registry now and restart your computer

If you ignore this error and shut down your system you may lose data

Restoring the registry will replace the faulty registry with a known good back up copy, however, this backup copy may not contain all of the information recently added to your system"

When I choose to restore the registry I am then given the option of restarting the machine. However whether or not I select yes or no nothing happens. Then when I switch the machine off I receive the same error.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could please advise me on this.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's not looking good at all.. depends on how much time you want to waste on it.. (there is a chance it's the HDD)

Press F8 on boot up
    choose Command Prompt
    run Scandisk /all /autofix /surface

reboot - F8 and go in to safe mode - you might be lucky ...
    if it does not keel over - uninstall all the junk you can and remove all the programs that start automatically - cf. autoruns on www.sysinternals.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Thanks Capt'n Midnight, mike65.

If these don't do the trick then I'll just tell the gut to get a new P.C. It really is a pile of crap anyway.

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

that happened to my pc at work last week its win95 too, crap company anyway,i browsed the registry with regedit and the entire HK local machine branch was empty, format, you'll never be able to get any installed programs that use the registry to run

Advertisement