Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argh, she has gone arseways!

• 11-10-2003 10:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭

Thats it. I have been pissed off since about 4 today.

As any of you who have been in #tech.ie know for some odd reason my PC has gone arseways. I got a blue screen today telling me "MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS". Now i decided to remove my USB2.0 card to try and solve the issue. This has been happening a lot and the usb card was the last bit of hardware i had put into my box. Though the blue screens have been happening for a week the card has been in there 2 weeks, i just wanted to narrlow things down.

I took out the card and then booted the machine up. Nothing. The screen didnt even turn on the light was amber. All i got was a long beep from the PC i]beeeeeeep ................. beeeeeeep[/i. OK I though to myself.

I had this happen to me when i tried to install some Ram i bought from komplett about 3 weeks ago [its been sent back RMA]. I has put it in my slot 2 along with my new ram and when it didnt show up i removed my old ram and stuck in the new ram. got the long beep and nothing so i assumed it to be dead. I thought to myself "oh **** it my ram has died". So at 4:30 today i got onto a bus and went into itDirect and spent €122 on a new stick of ram. I got home and installed it. i]beeeeeeep ................. beeeeeeep[/i. Nothing. Screen didnt show anything. my box was dead.

I now know that it was not the RAM that was dead, for this new ram couldnt also be dead [Kingston "100% tested"]. I decided to remove all my CD Drives and sound cards etc. leaving only my HDD, Floppy and GFX. Started it up and nothing. Removed the floppy and HDD and tried again. nothing. Been mixing and matching for an hour, new ram old ram no gfx no hdd etc. Still cant get anything out of it.

Guts over at #tech.ie cart|man recommded changing GFX cards. I have done and switched it with this PC. Still my box doesnt work, though my GFX card worked on this. So this leaves only two things.

Its is either my CPU or MOBO that has decided to screw itself over. I know it cant really be the MOBO cos the lights work on it [5v Power and Green one] and also all the fans work. Not to mention that my GFZ card actucully gives a signal out to my monitor [screen is blank and off but if i take the cable out of the card i get the "no Signal" on the monitor. So then it must be the CPU. I am amazed that my AMD XP1600+ could give up after only about 14months.

So, i ask. Do you think my CPU is dead?

If so i now have the following problem [besides what am i going todo with all this ram ;) ]. I dont want to have to spend more money on having to upgrade my whole insides [ram,mobo and cpu] so all i want to do is upgrade/get a new WORKING CPU. My board Abit KR7A says it can "Support AMD Athlon XP 1500+ ~ 2000+ or future Socket A Processors based on 200/266 MHz (100MHz/133MHz Double Data Rate)". But im looking at a boxed AMD CPU from komplett thats an XP2200+. So will my currant mobo support it? I'll probably buy it in Mapin or Peats or even itDirect tomorrow or Monday cos i cant wait :(

Any ideas? [i can't even make out what ive written above so if you can fair play ;) ]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Check the manufacturer's website. They may have added support for chips > XP2000+ in a later BIOS revision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I have decided to go to peats on monday and get a XP2000. Im not in the mood to go for more then 1 day without my PC. :(
    The updates Bios only cater for the XP2100 but not the XP2200 yet. Could go for the XP2200 but wanna save that bit of money. Ill have 1GB of ram in her anywhy :O

/me shakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

What about the PSU? Are there any hardware monitors available in the BIOS that could show you the voltages?

Next best guess would be a failed capacitor on the motherboard. Sometimes that can be obvious, sometimes you can spot it on close inspection, but sometimes the damage is invisible. Just because a few bits and pieces on the motherboard are functioning doesn't mean it's all OK.

A failed CPU is a possibility, though with the symptoms you describe it's rare. They tend to have a binary mode of failure. Work or not work. A power failure, either in the PSU or a dodgy cap, is more likely to exhibit the Mystery Madness you're seeing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

I reckon it could be your motherboard or cpu.Dont presume its your cpu.Take cpu out and reboot and see will it hit bios screen.This will give you your answer!Did u do a reset cmos?regards

• Advertisement

Originally posted by kmb
    I reckon it could be your motherboard or cpu.Dont presume its your cpu.Take cpu out and reboot and see will it hit bios screen.This will give you your answer!Did u do a reset cmos?regards
    Err. How could it possibly do anything without a CPU installed? If you're lucky it'll beep but that's about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

Some motherboards will do it.Its hardware,not software

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Sonds like the motherboard. Did you try the chip in a different system, a friend's computer that you know works?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭KinSlayer

find out what the motherboard beeps mean. different combinations for different errors. save you money if you knew what the actual problem was before going to the shops to find replacement parts.

Originally posted by kmb
    Some motherboards will do it.Its hardware,not software
    The beeps may well be hardware, but the BIOS screen is pure x86 software and without an x86 CPU you'll get nothing - if for no other reason than the VGA card needs to run the x86 code in its BIOS first to initialize the card and get some kind of output. I've yet to see a board with a spare x86 core onboard just in case the user has forgotten to install a processor.

• Advertisement

Already done that Kdja and tried to update it all but i already had the most up to date drivers. Also the MSFT article says it only applies to Windows 2000 SP1 which is odd cos i am getting it on my Windows XP PRO SP1. :rolleyes:

There is that possibility it may not be the processor, and that I may be wasting €85->€95 on getting a new one. Might try and remove the CPU tonight and check if it runs. If it does then yah, i save myself some money. If id doesnt im getting a new CPU tomorrow. If the CPU doesnt work then ill buy myself a motherboard. Christ.

The main reason i think it is the CPU is for the reason that it doesnt even get as far as the bios. NOTHING comes up on my monitor when i switch it on. It stays dead. If the CPU worked i would get something on the monitor, at least for a second. :(

Originally posted by Winters
    If id doesnt im getting a new CPU tomorrow. If the CPU doesnt work then ill buy myself a motherboard.
    Then if it turns out to be the PSU you've nearly got a whole new second machine to amuse yourself with :)

Originally posted by longword
    Then if it turns out to be the PSU you've nearly got a whole new second machine to amuse yourself with :)

i know the PSU works. For the fans wouldnt be running otherwise :) ..... Ill be popping down to itDirect tomorrow afternoon after collage now to spend yet more moeny on a CPU. LAst week i had a fully working PC. Now i will have enough parts to build two :( .... I think ill start a fund for myself :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It might not be supplying enough power to each of the rails.

Originally posted by Winters
    i know the PSU works. For the fans wouldnt be running otherwise :)
    The fans run on 12V. They don't care what the 5V or 3.3V outputs are doing. They'll also spin quite happily if the 12V output is actually only 8V.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

why don't you check the manual first and see what those beeps mean. They're usually quite specific and will save you a lot of time on guesswork, not to mention money since it looks like you're getting a whole new PC bit by bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

and just a thought. since you've been adding ram, did you check if your graphics card is sitting properly in it's slot?

i know it's quite common that motherboards don't leave enough space between the memory slots and the end of agp slot, so if you're getting memory sticks in/out, you need to get the graphics card out and put it back in.

if you don't get the card out, you could just about install new memory, and slightly lift the card out of it's slot. it wouldn't appear like there's anything wrong with it at first glance, but you'll notice straight away with the beeps.

the other thing about the blue screen of death looks more like a driver problem than anything else. fix the hardware first, then look at fixing the software :)

Ok, I am just after installing a new CPU [AthlonXP 2200+] and motherboard [MSI KT6 Delta]. The problem is still there.

Nothing happens. I checked the voltage coming off the PSU and it seems normal to me, no problems. The only thing thats not new in my case now is the HDD and one stick of 256mb RAM. [Also floopy, cdrw & dvd]. I am now quite pissed at my PC. I just spent e206 to fix the problem and yet it is still there.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Take out the HDD and boot it, if same thing happens, alternate the ram sticks. If it happens again, check to see if the heatisnk and fan are properly installed.
    If you still have a problem, check to see if the case is shorting out the Motherboard by touching the underside of it or something, and if the PROBLEM STILL EXISTS.

Get a new PSU, and not some cheap ass one, be prepared to spend at least 50 euro on it.

Oh and have you cleared the CMOS!

Originally posted by Giblet
    Take out the HDD and boot it, if same thing happens, alternate the ram sticks. If it happens again, check to see if the heatisnk and fan are properly installed.
    If you still have a problem, check to see if the case is shorting out the Motherboard by touching the underside of it or something, and if the PROBLEM STILL EXISTS.

Get a new PSU, and not some cheap ass one, be prepared to spend at least 50 euro on it.

Oh and have you cleared the CMOS!

I have taken out the HDD and still nothing happens exepct the fans twirl. Switched the ram sticks around. Heatsink and fan all correctly installed. None of the motherboard seems to be touching the case, execpt for where the usb/network/mouse&keyboard/etc. ports are.

Going to get a PSU tomorrow. If that doesnt fix it then i will have just about 2PCs insted of my one, and neither working!

btw, the fan on my graphics card runs.

• Advertisement

Examine the capacitors on the motherboard closely. Particularly the larger ones - they're electrolytic, often with a water-based solution inside. They have been known to leak or burst. Check that they're all neatly vertical. Check that the tops of them are flat, not bulging out. Check for any evidence of leakage on the PCB below the capacitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

What beeps do you get exactly? (long/short)
    Is the monitor ok?
    Have you cleared the cmos on your new mobo like Giblet suggested?
    Is the HD accessed?

All the capacitors are stright up and smooth. none are bulging and nothing is leaking. Its a new motherboard i bought today .... and the old motherboard is the same. Nothing leaking or bulging.

I dont know why its doing this to me.

Originally posted by Sir Random
    What beeps do you get exactly? (long/short)
    Is the monitor ok?
    Have you cleared the cmos on your new mobo like Giblet suggested?
    Is the HD accessed?

I only got beeps with the old motherboard. They were long beeps with a long pause. Monitor is ok. its in "standby" mode and should switch on when the PC is booted but doesnt. If you unplug it from the vard while its in standby or you have it switched onto standby when its not plugged into the card i get the No Signal message.

I have cleared the CMOS twice already on the new motherboard. Several times over the past few mights on the old motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ai ing

NEVER GIVE UP

NEVER SURRENDER

Advertisement