Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC - How do I transfer my files?

• 12-10-2003 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Just invested in a new PC.

What's the easiest way to transfer my data from my old PC to my new PC's hard drive (about 4Gb) ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

is it on a network or standalone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

options..

1. Borrow a usb portable hard drive -move files onto it and then onto new pc - assumes you can get a hold of one and that you have usb slots on both pcs.

2. Using a patch cable, network the two pcs and transfer over data. Assumes that you have network cards in both pcs.

3. Take hard drive out of the old pc and slot it into the new one - transfer data to the other hard drive - return drive to old pc.

The first option is definitely the easiest but i would say go with the one which you already have the resources for. Once you decide which option is best, search google/boards for some pointers on it or post back here and someone will help you out.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

1)
    Assuming the new PC can read the older machine's file system then you could just hook up the old drive(s) as slave using a spare IDE cable in the new machine and transfer across after booting up the new machine.

2)
    Or if you got network cards in both (and compatible OS's) get them across a cable.

3)
    If you get either a USB cable or even a lowly parallel cable (slow and not recommended).

The first idea is best and quickest really....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Originally posted by hamster
    3)
    If you get either a USB cable or even a lowly parallel cable (slow and not recommended).

Agreed it would take all day to move files

Advertisement