Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does Martini taste so bad in Ireland?

• 12-10-2003 2:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

Why does Martini taste so bad in Ireland?

I loved drinking it when I was in France, but anytime I've ever ordered a glass in Ireland, it's been really disgusting, tasting like vinegar.

Maybe the bottles are left open too long here and it goes off.

Am I the only person who has noticed this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Probably be the cost of it in Ireland leaving a bitter taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭JessieG

erm john martini wit a dash of lime is one of the cheapest drinks going....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

yeah in the pub that i work in its about €2.70 for a martini and its served as a double measure (71 ml)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 blondie

you quite possibly had a real martini - made with gin and vermouth. martini in a bottle is a sort of european version of vermouth which is not usually drank alone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

it's not just ireland.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

A martini should be a freshly mixed drink. The bottled stuff just doesn't cut it.

It's like the difference between drinking a spirit with a mixer, and drinking a bottled alcopop. I can drink vodka and lemon all night, and have a hangover in the morning, but if I drink Smirnoff Ice all night I'll have the thumping chemical headache from the ninth circle of hell for a full day afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

But the bottled stuff is lovely in France! I thought it was may be because Martini is less popular in Ireland, the bottle is opened in a bar and then left on the shelf for ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

maybe it is not the same as in france. is martini franchised like smirnoff. russian smirnoff is way better than the crap here. just like british heinken is liquid squalor compared to the real dutch stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

could be different ingredients in the stuff in france?

Advertisement