Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom rebate on monthly rental for i-stream starter promotion

Options
  • 12-10-2003 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

My mam signed up for eircom's broadband offer (I DID try and convince her otherwise! ;)), but in the package she got from them there's a card "Telecommunications Ammendment) (no. 16) Scheme 2003 Section 4" that states:

5. Monthly rental chargeable to customers availing of the rental promotion shall be charged at the applicable eircom i-stream DSLIP (starter) rates, however customer's shall receive a rebate of 10 EUR on monthly rental for each of the first 12 months during which they avail of the service.

Points 1 & 2 of this card clarify that it is indeed this recent promotion that this rebate applies to, however after ringing eircom about it, she (and a friend who also rang) were told that "this only applies to customers who avail of the technican install" option - there is in fact nothing about this condition on the card.

She disputed this with them, stating that under Consumer Laws, because this is what it says, this it what it should be charged at - effectively making the rental 44.45 EUR instead of 54.45 EUR per month for the first 12 months, thus resulting in a saving of 120 EUR over this period.

She was subsequently referred to Customer Services who are supposed to get back to her, but I thought I'd post it here too to see if anyone else has heard anything else about this?

Thanks all,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It is a little sneaky. Their are two 'basic' DSL packages from eircom. The first one is known as eircom i-stream starter. The second one is known as eircom i-stream starter self-install.

A subtle difference, but probably one that lets them get away with it. I-stream starter has a €10 rebate per month. I-stream starter self install, doesn't.

It works out slightly cheaper anyway. Without self install, you get €120 off over the year, but pay €199 for the install. So self-install is still cheaper, despite the rental being more expensive.

It's annoying. Yes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hi Seamus,

Thanks for the reply...I had her check the package she got, but nowhere is there distinction between the self-install and technican install options, except under point 11 of the card which says:

11. If the customer requests the technican install option, the standard charge of 165 EUR (ex-vat) will apply.

She maintains that if there if there IS therefore a difference, then point 5 should read something like "... however customers who avail of the technician install option shall receive a rebate of 10 EUR on monthly rental...", no??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

No, there are two offers:

1) iStream Starter Self-Install
    - Free Modem
    - Free First Month Rental
    - Free Install

2) iStream Starter Technician Install
    - Free Modem
    - You pay for the full 12 months (no free first month rental)
    - e200 Install
    - e10 rebate a month offer 12 months.

So if your mother got the self-install, then see is not entitled to the e10 rebate.

Anyway, the self install works out far cheaper, e135 cheaper.

Of course your mother would have saved another e84 per year had she gone with UTV :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Of course your mother would have saved another e84 per year had she gone with UTV
    ..Just like *I* have (although I'm waiting to hear back yet) :) But she is unfortunately a perfect example of why eircom will clean up here - she didn't want the "hassle" of switching voice calls over, or 2 seperate billers etc ...

But anyway, thanks for the info...I'll pass it on

Advertisement