Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where to apply for driving test?

Options
  • 12-10-2003 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

After hearing that the shortest waiting time for a test anywhere in the country is SEVEN MONTHS (thanks Mr. Brennan :rolleyes: ) i want to apply for my test.

Where do i apply? How much does it cost?

TIA :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

www.drivingtest.ie

I wouldn't try selecting your test centre based purely on waiting times. Best bet is to try get on the priority list. Get someone to pretend to be an employer and give you a letter to include with your application, saying you badly need the test.

Of course, everyone's doing this now, so waiting times are relatively long on the priority list now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

Thanks!

I never would have guessed that url :D

Seems my most local test center has one of the highest waiting times.....oh well, i still dont even know how to drive, im sure ill be driving in my sleep by the time my test comes around :o

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by gs39t
    Thanks!

I never would have guessed that url :D

Seems my most local test center has one of the highest waiting times.....oh well, i still dont even know how to drive, im sure ill be driving in my sleep by the time my test comes around :o

2 more weeks and the waiting time for Tallaght will be an entire year. Great :(

I just followed my own advice and emailed them about the priority list. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

If you are starting out, your best bet is to apply for the test as soon as you get your provisional licence, and start practising then. You should be ready for the test by the time you get a test date.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Chimaera makes a good point. Apply the first day you get your provisional. You can always delay your test by a few months if you're not ready by the time the test date rolls around (and a year should be well enough if you actually give it the time). Probably a bit late for gs39t but good advice for anyone else who's just starting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Is it worth doing it up North ?
    it is an EU license after all..

Seriously if the waiting time is a year and 50% fail then it takes people on average TWO YEARS to pass thier test.

And this is not something new - and driving tests generate revenue - it is not as if it is going to cost the taxpayer more in the long run...

If the Gov't had any intention of sorting this out they could subcontract out to test centres in the UK (a bit like they do with hospital wating lists) or hiring UK testers.

PS. Of the 50% or so who pass many aren't tested properly IMHO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 mate

Is it possable for someone living in ROI to do their test in the North?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by mate
    Is it possable for someone living in ROI to do their test in the North?

You would need the following:

1. NI Address
    2. NI Provisional Licence
    3. Apply for NI Driving test.
    4. NI Reg car with insurance, I am sure you could hire a car for the day.

If you pass you could exchange your full NI licence for a full ROI one.

Be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I looked at this for my fiance...no dice - you have to be a resident for 6 months before you are allowed to apply for a driving test.

Originally posted by MadsL
    I looked at this for my fiance...no dice - you have to be a resident for 6 months before you are allowed to apply for a driving test.

Cant you just say you haved lived at (NI address) for 6 months? How do they check?

Cant you just get NI provisional and wait 6 months then apply?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Even at six months it's still faster than anywhere down here, and a restest would only take two weeks, not another seven months..

If it wern't for the income tax and poll tax might be worth setting up a postal address - forward letters back and forth...

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    Even at six months it's still faster than anywhere down here, and a restest would only take two weeks, not another seven months..

If it wern't for the income tax and poll tax might be worth setting up a postal address - forward letters back and forth...

Why would you have to pay income tax or poll tax in the north? Should be easy enough to set up a postal address.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    PS. Of the 50% or so who pass many aren't tested properly IMHO
    I suspect that of the 50% who do pass, some aren't tested properly either. Swings and roundabouts.

Advertisement